Ok, maybe someone can clarify for me

SamSpade

I got the general impression that the first healthcare bill was watered down specifically so that later versions - phases - could pass the votes.
Isn't that the way the last one was passed? Avoid a filibuster because it's an existing bill? Is that how it works?

Secondly - it looks like the problem the GOP has had, has been the Freedom Caucus, who were planning to vote down just about anything.

Maybe it's a good thing this weak bill was killed so that a better one might be crafted?

tommyjo

Maybe it's a good thing this weak bill was killed so that a better one might be crafted?

Yes...that is a very rational and reasonable conclusion. So it will obviously not be supported on here by the right wing moron crew.

If Trump and Ryan truly have the interests of voters as their priority, they will do what they completely failed to do this time...they will govern. Sen. Graham said the exact same thing yesterday. One party, by itself cannot fix our healthcare system. Partisanship will not work...what will it take for the majority in the middle to realize that fringe rule is not working?!?!

The Rs b!itched for 7 years about how the ACA was passed...when it was their turn they did exactly the same thing.

Trump/Ryan/ McConnell need to craft legislation that will actually be bipartisan...so the lose the Freedom caucus' votes...so what. There are 194(?) Dems...some of them will vote for a reasonable and rational bill. That is leading...that is governing...Trump's my way or the highway, take it or leave it style is bullsh!t.

Hijinx

Yes...that is a very rational and reasonable conclusion. So it will obviously not be supported on here by the right wing moron crew.

If Trump and Ryan truly have the interests of voters as their priority, they will do what they completely failed to do this time...they will govern. Sen. Graham said the exact same thing yesterday. One party, by itself cannot fix our healthcare system. Partisanship will not work...what will it take for the majority in the middle to realize that fringe rule is not working?!?!

The Rs b!itched for 7 years about how the ACA was passed...when it was their turn they did exactly the same thing.

Trump/Ryan/ McConnell need to craft legislation that will actually be bipartisan...so the lose the Freedom caucus' votes...so what. There are 194(?) Dems...some of them will vote for a reasonable and rational bill. That is leading...that is governing...Trump's my way or the highway, take it or leave it style is bullsh!t.

I may be a moron, but I am not as stupid as you. There is no way to get bi-partisan support for a health care bill through this Congress.

SamSpade

I may be a moron, but I am not as stupid as you. There is no way to get bi-partisan support for a health care bill through this Congress.

I think you're right - as long as "the Resistance" persists in opposing anything Trump, it's not going to work.

Frankly - if Trump succeeds doing what he said the other day (essentially, if I can't get the R's to support me, I'll go to the D's - kind of like Paul saying to the Jews, if I can't get you guys on board, I'll go to the Gentiles - with similar reaction) - he'll do outstanding.

If the Dems will only agree on single payer or nothing - then no, there's no bipartisanship. But they may be persuaded if in the coming year, Obamacare sucks so badly, they'll be willing to deal. Premiums are set to go through the roof next year. The Dems are celebrating now, but it is short-sighted. They are proclaiming that they now OWN the crapstorm that we have. They're saying yay for the crap we HAVE now! May it ever be!

What I thought they were doing is pass a wimpy bill they could amend later that could not be filibustered, and the R's that said no did so because it didn't do it all at once.

Let's try to remember the myriad times that the LEFT described "bipartisanship" as synonymous with filibuster-proof majorities - which isn't bipartisan in any form.

SamSpade

...what will it take for the majority in the middle to realize that fringe rule is not working?!?!

That "majority in the middle" is disappearing from Congress as polarizing elements increase.
The days of Blue Dogs and Reagan Democrats - from where I come from - are gone. You don't agree with the party line, get out.
The Republicans are just late to the party on this - the Dems have been purging their ranks since the middle of the Clinton era.
You can't be moderate anymore.

Let's put it this way - if the ACA was done by locking out the Republicans and screwing over the other party -
exactly HOW do you expect them to take the moral high ground and be inclusive of everyone - when their opponents not only did that -
but CONTINUE to do that. Geez, a lot of them refused to attend the inauguration. So the GOP is supposed to be magnanimous
and be all forgiving.

"Do not cast your pearls before swine".

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I got the general impression that the first healthcare bill was watered down specifically so that later versions - phases - could pass the votes.
Isn't that the way the last one was passed? Avoid a filibuster because it's an existing bill? Is that how it works?

Secondly - it looks like the problem the GOP has had, has been the Freedom Caucus, who were planning to vote down just about anything.

Yes, yes, and yes.

My understanding is that Trump was set to veto it if it passed, which is why Ryan killed it. Repealing Obamacare just to be repealing something of Barry's isn't the way to go; at this point it must be replaced with a more feasible plan.

What pisses me off is that ####ing Ryan - this is his fault, but guess who's getting the blame? That's bull####.

SamSpade

Yes, yes, and yes.

This is what I THOUGHT was happening ...

Watered down version of bill phase 1. It does very little except maybe eliminate mandates which no one wants. Crap for the rest.
Plan - to pass it, hoping to amend it down the line.
Later plans - do ALL the stuff they expected to do with the plan - except - they could do it without worrying about filibusters.
The Senate would be screwed, because they passed a bill which has been later amended with a simple majority.
Thus, the current bill which does almost nothing - but the Freedom Caucus who said, sorry, not voting FOR it because it sucks AS IS.

SO it dies without a vote at all.

Am I right?

This_person

For once, you and I have something to agree upon; the Dems passed this bill in a way that showed a complete lack of ability to govern, to show that they were totally inept and incompetent, and that they did not have the American people in mind when they did it. And then, the GOP did something almost similar.

The real bipartisan bill is to simply repeal the ACA and (IAW Article One, Section Eight of the Constitution, general commerce clause) they should restrict states from limiting insurance coverage across state lines. Meanwhile they should provide to citizens the same tax incentives on health savings and purchasing of health insurance that corporations get. Meanwhile, they should provide breaks in taxation to actual medical devices as they are manufactured and sold.

How hard should that really be? Just provide common sense health insurance reform.