Why hate for squirrels?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
On this FB group I belong to one of the members made this terrible concoction to smear on their bird feeder pole to keep squirrels from getting a snack. It consisted of Bag Balm, Tabasco, cayenne, and some other goopy substance; the idea being that not only will the pole be too slippery for Mr. Squirrel to climb, but he will also get a nasty surprise when he tries to lick the goober off his paws.

I resisted the urge to reply with, "WTF??" but may go back and post it later.

Help me understand why you'd want to attract freaking birds that #### all over everything, yet deter comparatively harmless (and much tidier) squirrels? Why you'd expect to put out animal snacks in your yard, then get pissed when animals come eat it?

Is it just some weird control issue? Doing something willfully that will result in you being pissed off every. single. time. because you enjoy being pissed?

And why try to harm the squirrels when YOU'RE the one who put out tasty treats in the first place? FBDA went as far as to call the squirrels "thieves" for "stealing" food that they're apparently supposed to know isn't for them.

:banghead:

This is why I don't like people.

Wishbone

Some prefer the "flying rats" to the "tree rats"

They should use their extra cash for this instead.

[video=youtube;lEZ7f4OnPgE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEZ7f4OnPgE[/video]

Last edited:
Because they are the ones who repeatedly bring the big purses to the buffet style party and dump in all the good stuff before anyone else gets a chance to enjoy.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Squirrels are far from harmless..

As long as they leave my house alone it's live and let live.. but in NH they would get into my attic and go for the wiring.

Then its on like Donkey Kong.. 22LR from the kitchen window from 150 feet..

So far here they leave us alone.. the dead mice I have hanging from sticks as a warning seems to be warding them off..

SamSpade

We had a squirrel that figured out we had food in the house. It eventually made a hole right next to the sliding glass door - straight through the siding, insulation and drywall - to get into the kitchen and run amok at night.

You want birds in your yard, get a bird feeder, but it won't be long before the fuzzy-tailed rats rip it to pieces, spill half of it and eat the rest.

Don't get me wrong, lots of birds ARE nuisances - when we have ducks in our pool, I'm forever cleaning duck crap and scrubbing off the algae they bring.
If they're blackbirds, junco, jays and so on, same thing - they're filthy bullies.

But lots of small birds are pleasant to see. Nice to see bluebirds, orioles, golden warblers, purple finches.

Not so much the rats. Fortunately, the cats do a good job of discouraging them.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
[video=youtube;HSbDKNj2Mdg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSbDKNj2Mdg[/video]

black dog

Free America
I may or may not have seen this done at a home in Dentsville.
[video=youtube_share;3KCWV3Csea0]https://youtu.be/3KCWV3Csea0[/video]

Kinnakeet

Squirrels are far from harmless..

As long as they leave my house alone it's live and let live.. but in NH they would get into my attic and go for the wiring.

Then its on like Donkey Kong.. 22LR from the kitchen window from 150 feet..

So far here they leave us alone.. the dead mice I have hanging from sticks as a warning seems to be warding them off..

the dead mice I have hanging from sticks as a warning seems to be warding them of...LMAO

luvmygdaughters

We have two that visit us every morning. My husband throws unshelled peanuts out for them, of course, the bigger birds like the peanuts too, so we get quite a show. He also fills the bird feeders for the smaller birds. I don't mind the squirrels personally, but, my cousin had them do a lot of damage to her car under her hood. I'm sure they can be very destructive. But in all fairness, I had an Amazon Yellow Nape parrot once...he did a hell of a lot more damage than any squirrel.

BOP

On this FB group I belong to one of the members made this terrible concoction to smear on their bird feeder pole to keep squirrels from getting a snack. It consisted of Bag Balm, Tabasco, cayenne, and some other goopy substance; the idea being that not only will the pole be too slippery for Mr. Squirrel to climb, but he will also get a nasty surprise when he tries to lick the goober off his paws.

Help me understand why you'd want to attract freaking birds that #### all over everything, yet deter comparatively harmless (and much tidier) squirrels? Why you'd expect to put out animal snacks in your yard, then get pissed when animals come eat it?

Is it just some weird control issue? Doing something willfully that will result in you being pissed off every. single. time. because you enjoy being pissed?

And why try to harm the squirrels when YOU'RE the one who put out tasty treats in the first place? FBDA went as far as to call the squirrels "thieves" for "stealing" food that they're apparently supposed to know isn't for them.

I started to say that squirrels are like liberals, but then I remembered squirrels actually work for a living.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

I wonder the same thing!! Squirrels are only doing what is in their nature to do. :cds:

littlelady

God bless the USA

This is the perfect example of why I say you should be a writer. That was great and hilarious. :lol: