Microsoft sued for millions over Windows 10 upgrades

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Microsoft sued for millions over Windows 10 upgrades

Unhappy Windows 10 users in Illinois are taking Microsoft to court, claiming that problems caused by the Windows 10 upgrade show that it was negligently designed, that Microsoft fraudulently failed to disclose its defects, and that the upgrade is unfit for purpose.

In a break from tradition, Microsoft offered Windows 10 as a free upgrade to Windows 7 and 8.1 for the first year of its release. This unusual offer was matched with a set of increasingly aggressive promotions within Windows itself. In the early days of the upgrade offer, there were even some users reporting that it installed automatically.

Three plaintiffs claim specific harm was caused by the operating system. Stephanie Watson claims that Windows 10 installed without her choosing to accept it. The upgrade destroyed some data, caused such harm that Geek Squad was unable to fully repair the machine, and forced the purchase of a new system.The suit claims that "many" consumers have had their hard drives fail because of the Windows 10 installation, and that the operating system does not check "whether or not the hard drive can withstand the stress of the Windows 10 installation."

I am going to call :bs:
I never seen a windows install break a computer where it could not be fixed with a wipe and reinstall or replace the hard drive and do a clean install that way
[I have been doing this for 23 years - 15 of that paid]

and if someone's hard drive was that close to failing that a windows 'upgrade' install killed it, they were already having issues ...

I am going to call :bs:
I never seen a windows install break a computer where it could not be fixed with a wipe and reinstall or replace the hard drive and do a clean install that way
[I have been doing this for 23 years - 15 of that paid]

and if someone's hard drive was that close to failing that a windows 'upgrade' install killed it, they were already having issues ...
I'm calling :bs: on you. I do not believe that because YOU have never experienced it means that it did not happen.

sparkyaclown

I would have to side with GURPS on this one. If they lost data as a result of the upgrade then their hard drive was already failing and it was a ticking time bomb. A virus scanner doing a normal full scan could've taken it out an any time without the upgrade and unless S.M.A.R.T. was supported and enabled on their system then they probably would've never realized it. The worst fallout I've seen with Windows 10 upgrades is that some machines really weren't all that compatible and things like wireless adapters or other extras quit functioning because there was no driver for it in 10. These are usually the systems that originally came with a pre-version 7 Windows OS installed and someone upgraded them to Windows 7/8. A Windows 7 upgrade could use drivers from the previous version during the upgrade if one didn't exist natively which didn't necessarily hold true once the upgrade to 10 happened. I have seen drivers meant for Windows 98 being used in 7 just because the vendor never updated the drivers for their hardware past that operating system. I actually have some sound equipment that fell into this category. It worked fine in Windows 7 but once I went to 10 they became paper weights. A hard drive wouldn't fall into this category though. Past the hard drive failure, I suspect that Stephanie fell into this boat as well which is why the system couldn't be returned to full functionality. Her system probably still could've been recovered if it had been completely rolled back to its original operating system which I doubt Geek Squad would do and doing so may have caused other problems for her. Microsoft made the assumption that if it had Windows 7 or 8 then it was fine to upgrade and sometimes automatically installed the upgrade without prompting which I definitely see as the real problem. Those individuals might have a leg to stand on but anyone who willingly agreed to the upgrade is probably out of luck.

Restitution

Then you have people like me who had the Free windows 10 upgrade banner pop up multiple times, I selected to have it install.... multiple times, and the damn upgrade NEVER INSTALLED!! I must have "agreed" to the upgrade 12 times. Never installed.

sparkyaclown

Then you have people like me who had the Free windows 10 upgrade banner pop up multiple times, I selected to have it install.... multiple times, and the damn upgrade NEVER INSTALLED!! I must have "agreed" to the upgrade 12 times. Never installed.

I had that happen on a laptop which I ended up just downloading the install disk and doing it manually.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Stephanie Watson claims that Windows 10 installed without her choosing to accept it.

She's lying. #1, you have to make a conscious effort to download and install Windows 10; #2, there are about 8,000 warnings and whatnots that you must agree to before the installation starts. It doesn't happen without your direct input.

I am going to guess that she either picked up a virus or downloaded "Windows" from some hijack site or popup.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
She's lying. #1, you have to make a conscious effort to download and install Windows 10;

actually from what I read 6 months ago you did not have to agree to anything ....

Last May ....

Windows Automatic Update, for example, is set to Install Updates Automatically (Recommended). Recommended updates is set to "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates."

http://www.infoworld.com/article/30...ded-users-to-windows-10-without-their-ok.html

MS change the Win 10 Upgrade to a 'recommended' update for windows, a bunch of people got it installed automatically

New details emerge about forced Windows 10 upgrade -- and how to block it

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I'm calling :bs: on you. I do not believe that because YOU have never experienced it means that it did not happen.

Fine, but there is no way to 'kill a hard drive' so you cannot reinstall a clean copy of Windows ....

Wishbone

The Win10 Auto-Install thing is real.

Happened to my workstation. I didn't agree to anything and hadn't worked on it for a couple weeks. One day logged on... Windows 10. voila!

SamSpade

The Win10 Auto-Install thing is real.

Happened to my workstation. I didn't agree to anything and hadn't worked on it for a couple weeks. One day logged on... Windows 10. voila!

Yep. Happened to my kid's computers. Kind of took me by surprise, since they tend to never turn the computer off but just the monitor.

On the other hand, the automatic updates have always annoyed me and I typically turn them off on my computer - it's irritating to come back to my machine and find that all the windows I left open are gone, and every app I left wiped. It's never a catastrophe - just a nuisance.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
On the other hand, the automatic updates have always annoyed me and I typically turn them off on my computer ...

over the years MS own updates have repeatedly broken Office or the OS
.... I only recommend 'auto updates' for uneducated people who truly don't known how their computer works

... Grandma - 85 yr old Aunt Shirley ... etc