Trump Is Off to a Historically Poor Start

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
" Every American president has had his ups and downs. But we've never seen this kind of down this early: A Gallup poll on Monday had President Trump's job-approval rating at 36% (it was conducted mostly after the failed health-care push). To put that standing into perspective, here's where Gallup had these other early presidencies at about this same point in time:

• Barack Obama: 63% (March 16-22, 2009)
  • George W. Bush: 53% (March 26-28, 2001)
  • Bill Clinton: 53% (March 12-14, 1993)
  • George H.W. Bush: 56% (March 12, 1989)
  • Ronald Reagan: 60% (March 15, 1981)
  • Jimmy Carter: 75% (March 20, 1977)
What's more, George W. Bush never hit 36% in Gallup until 2006 -- well after Hurricane Katrina and after the Iraq war had turned south. And Obama never ever dropped to that level over his eight years as president, which included a government shutdown, a debt-ceiling crisis, and a HealthCare.Gov failure. So we're at Day 68 of Trump's presidency, and he's at a dangerously low place. "In any other presidency, we'd be talking about 36% approval as an existential crisis,"NBC's Benjy Sarlin quipped. The good news for Trump: He's got plenty of time to turn things around. The bad news: This early time is typically as good as it gets for a president's ability to get things through Congress. "

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/first-read/unpopularity-contest-trump-historically-poor-start-n739386

itsbob

I bowl overhand
" Every American president has had his ups and downs. But we've never seen this kind of down this early: A Gallup poll on Monday had President Trump's job-approval rating at 36% (it was conducted mostly after the failed health-care push). To put that standing into perspective, here's where Gallup had these other early presidencies at about this same point in time:

• Barack Obama: 63% (March 16-22, 2009)
  • George W. Bush: 53% (March 26-28, 2001)
  • Bill Clinton: 53% (March 12-14, 1993)
  • George H.W. Bush: 56% (March 12, 1989)
  • Ronald Reagan: 60% (March 15, 1981)
  • Jimmy Carter: 75% (March 20, 1977)
What's more, George W. Bush never hit 36% in Gallup until 2006 -- well after Hurricane Katrina and after the Iraq war had turned south. And Obama never ever dropped to that level over his eight years as president, which included a government shutdown, a debt-ceiling crisis, and a HealthCare.Gov failure. So we're at Day 68 of Trump's presidency, and he's at a dangerously low place. "In any other presidency, we'd be talking about 36% approval as an existential crisis,"NBC's Benjy Sarlin quipped. The good news for Trump: He's got plenty of time to turn things around. The bad news: This early time is typically as good as it gets for a president's ability to get things through Congress. "

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/first-read/unpopularity-contest-trump-historically-poor-start-n739386

By this time Obama had broken several laws.. taken over a US industry.. and bilked stockholders out of billions of dollars..

Trump needs to get busy to even get close to that level of corruption.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Did they poll anyone who actually voted for Trump? Because, if we recall, they didn't do that during the campaign and it came back to bite them in the ass.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
So much for the dictatorship and the EOTWAWKI.

This is the risk of over reaction: all rage against what you oppose and no work towards what you are for.

And Obama just sits back, burrowed in, smiling.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

This is the risk of over reaction: all rage against what you oppose and no work towards what you are for.

While his party members and supporters work to de-stabilize their own government..

Christy

b*tch rocket
See, I heard the statistic that Reagan had a 35% approval rating the first few months he was in office. Who the hell knows what is true anymore, and to be quite honest, I really don't care. I think Trump is doing a pretty good job, especially with what he is up against. They are coming at him with every dirty trick in the book (and then some).

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Who the hell knows what is true anymore, and to be quite honest, I really don't care.

Progressives are desperately trying to de-legitimize the Trump Administration - :cds: the people hate trump, Russians, Golfing @ Mar-a-largo, Flynn Fired, EPA subterfuge .... etc

Hijinx

While his party members and supporters work to de-stabilize their own government..

Nobody ever started with the animosity against him that this man has to put up with.

I have never seen a country that was willing to go down rather than back a man that won.

Hijinx

Is he still down in Polynesia getting his prostate massaged?

tommyjo

Wow...really?

Ok..

"And"... The President has no juice...none with approval ratings in the mid 30s...nothing he supports will go anywhere (you know...like health care reform) and it doesn't bode well for mid-terms. Gee...didn't teach you that in the Ivy League, either?

Wishbone

Wow...really?

Ok..

"And"... The President has no juice...none with approval ratings in the mid 30s...nothing he supports will go anywhere (you know...like health care reform) and it doesn't bode well for mid-terms. Gee...didn't teach you that in the Ivy League, either?
Wow. That was somewhat tame.

Been taking your meds again, huh? :yay:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
it doesn't bode well for mid-terms.

Ah, but Donald Trump doesn't have a mid-term - Congress does. And I'm going to guess right here and now that if that Republican majority gets their ass handed to them in 2018, it will be because of their own performance and have nothing to do with Donald Trump. Which will not prevent the haters from blaming Trump.

This is a real question, not that I expect you to answer it:

Why aren't you thrilled that the GOP is imploding? I'd think you all lefties would be glad to see the Republican party on its last gasp and chortle with glee over these inept Congresscritters, the Speaker of the House in particular. But you're not. You're all still stuck on Trump, trying to blame him for everything instead of going after the Party the way you used to.

Do you understand that by blaming Trump, you're excusing the rank and file Republicans, helping them live to stooge another day instead of going the way of the Whigs and Tories? Or is that the plan? As long as the Keystone Kops are in charge of the GOP, they will pose no real threat and the Dems will have smooth political sailing?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Wow...really?

Ok..

How did Obama do on his "mid-terms" with his astronomical approval ratings??

Last edited:

stgislander

PREMO Member
Nobody ever started with the animosity against him that this man has to put up with.

I have never seen a country that was willing to go down rather than back a man that won.

Have you ever heard of the Election of 1860?