Florida Dems to Trump: Cut back Mar-a-Lago visits or pay up

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
" The Democratic lawmaker whose district includes President Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate is asking the White House to alleviate the “financial burden” of his near-weekly visits.

Rep. Lois Frankel (D-Fla.) called on Trump to either provide federal reimbursements to the local governments incurring increased security costs or cut back his trips to the resort.

“While we want the fullest protection for your visits, we hope you would be responsive to the losses of small businesses and residents of Palm Beach County,” Frankel wrote in a letter to Trump released on Monday, which was co-signed by fellow Democratic Florida Reps. Alcee Hastings and Ted Deutch.

“If compensation is not assured of being forthcoming, we respectfully ask that you curtail your visits until such time as that matter is resolved favorably to our area.”

The lawmakers outlined the piling costs of Trump’s visits to Mar-a-Lago to date: $1.7 million in overtime work paid by the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Department and Fire Rescue and $60,000 in overtime to the City of West Palm Beach law enforcement handling protests.

Trump’s hosting of Chinese President Xi Jinping at Mar-a-Lago next month is expected to cost the sheriff and fire departments $280,000 alone, according to the letter. "

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/326005-florida-dems-to-trump-cut-back-mar-a-lago-visits-or-pay-up

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Do all cities do that, make a visiting president cough up palm greasing money? I don't recall any Hawaiian official trying to shake down the Obamas.

The answer is no, they don't. Just petty little Democrat bawl babies.

On another note, reading the comments has confirmed to me that only retarded ####bags read The Hill.

tommyjo

Do all cities do that, make a visiting president cough up palm greasing money? I don't recall any Hawaiian official trying to shake down the Obamas.

The answer is no, they don't. Just petty little Democrat bawl babies.

On another note, reading the comments has confirmed to me that only retarded ####bags read The Hill.

Has any other President gone to the same city every weekend?

Just to make sure you understand...Hawaii is a state not a city.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

An official in any city in Hawaii would be a, you know, Hawaiian official. I suppose I could have named every city in Hawaii, but I felt I could forgo that because not everyone is as pixilated as you are.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

When was the last president we had that actually owned a property to go to every weekend.. Oh and BTW.. It would be a LOT cheaper for a President to go the same place every weekend, than Hawaii this week.. Martha's Vineyard next week.. There's a LOT of NRE involved in a trip like that, and in most cases it's a one time and done deal that whe money is wasted when the President leaves and doesn't come back.

Mar a Lago the NRE has been spent, but the infrastructure is in place.. it would be a shame for him NOT to use it. Every trip he takes now is cheaper and cheaper, and you can bet your ass it's bringing MILLIONS into the local economy.

Dems are idiots for bringing it up, but then again, so are you.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

How much does it cost the taxpayers to secure Obama in inner DC??

DOn't you agree he would be much better off for the taxpayers if he was like between Las Vegas and the Dam?? MUCH easier and much cheaper to secure.

h3mech

I guess we have forgotten Obumma trips he took and no one said anything about his trips, I claim this as FAKE NEWS

" The Democratic lawmaker whose district includes President Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate is asking the White House to alleviate the “financial burden” of his near-weekly visits.

Rep. Lois Frankel (D-Fla.) called on Trump to either provide federal reimbursements to the local governments incurring increased security costs or cut back his trips to the resort.

“While we want the fullest protection for your visits, we hope you would be responsive to the losses of small businesses and residents of Palm Beach County,” Frankel wrote in a letter to Trump released on Monday, which was co-signed by fellow Democratic Florida Reps. Alcee Hastings and Ted Deutch.

“If compensation is not assured of being forthcoming, we respectfully ask that you curtail your visits until such time as that matter is resolved favorably to our area.”

The lawmakers outlined the piling costs of Trump’s visits to Mar-a-Lago to date: $1.7 million in overtime work paid by the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Department and Fire Rescue and $60,000 in overtime to the City of West Palm Beach law enforcement handling protests.

Trump’s hosting of Chinese President Xi Jinping at Mar-a-Lago next month is expected to cost the sheriff and fire departments $280,000 alone, according to the letter. "

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/326005-florida-dems-to-trump-cut-back-mar-a-lago-visits-or-pay-up

h3mech

wow really, the lame stream news would never say anything bad about Obumma, they worship the ground he walks on, now trump they are doing anything they can do to make him look bad including this lame story, and I'm not retarded "my mother had me tested" I'm sure you have lots on tolerance for your common man, to say that to someone

Sorry man, I'm no Obama supporter but you are plain retarded if you think no one said anything about his trips.

Chris0nllyn

wow really, the lame stream news would never say anything bad about Obumma, they worship the ground he walks on, now trump they are doing anything they can do to make him look bad including this lame story, and I'm not retarded "my mother had me tested" I'm sure you have lots on tolerance for your common man, to say that to someone

Um, CNN has an entire page dedicated to Obama's travels.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/18/politics/obama-travel/

They also did a segment on how much he golfed.
[video=youtube;MBZbjBQRKqo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBZbjBQRKqo[/video]

This_person

Bush went to some tiny little town in Texas over and again. I do not recall the complaints.

Obama went to so many places in and out of the country, with and without his family, and I recall something about an AF-1 trip for the dog....it was widely considered childish griping because "the president deserves a vacation, and is never really on vacation" etc., etc. The difference for him from Bush and Trump is that he didn't routinely cost the same city over and again, he spread the pain around like it was somebody else's wealth (since, well, it was).

It's silly for the cities to bitch and moan, and it is silly for us to bitch and moan. Relief will be sought through normal channels in the state and ultimately to the federal government, and that relief is highly likely to be granted. This is nothing beyond a political stunt to diminish the sitting president, just like it was before. That is not to say the optics of "we'll never rest, right after this golf game" weren't really bad for Obama, but it's still petty crap in the long run.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Sorry man, I'm no Obama supporter but you are plain retarded if you think no one said anything about his trips.

The OP was about a democratic politician telling him to stop or pay up. Can you point to a single Republican politician that did or say the same about Obama??

This_person

How much does it cost the taxpayers to secure Obama in inner DC??

DOn't you agree he would be much better off for the taxpayers if he was like between Las Vegas and the Dam?? MUCH easier and much cheaper to secure.

This is a pretty fair and reasonable question - compare previous presidents' costs to the taxpayer, and then figure out why we give them anything at all. The Former Presidents Act (1958) that gives pensions was based on an honest president (Truman) that retired near actual broke (not Clinton "broke"). Perhaps the $207K/year Obama gets in pension, plus $150K (for a while, then $96K) he gets for a staff, plus all of the office and supplies and the vast myriad of other perqs he gets (and Bush, and everyone back to Carter) should be curtailed or ended. After all, as Mr. Obama pointed out, "at a certain point, you've made enough money".

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Police and EMTs must be crying all the way to the bank. $1.7 million, now that is some economy stimulation.

Hijinx

Wouldn't it be great if Trump burned down the main house, and the clubhouse, and put in section 8 housing on the golf course? He would get a lot of points with the entitled, and show these people how much he appreciated their support.

Clem72

The OP was about a democratic politician telling him to stop or pay up. Can you point to a single Republican politician that did or say the same about Obama??

Not my job or my point asshat. I was responding to the claim that NO ONE ever said anything about Obamas trips. Hell, there must be 100 threads on this very forum.

I didn't say jack shet about the claims of politicians. But the whole reason any of you know anything about any damn trips he took was because someone told you about them. You sure as hell weren't checking his daily calendar.

So get off my ass you over defensive turd blossoms.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Not my job or my point asshat. I was responding to the claim that NO ONE ever said anything about Obamas trips. Hell, there must be 100 threads on this very forum.

I didn't say jack shet about the claims of politicians. But the whole reason any of you know anything about any damn trips he took was because someone told you about them. You sure as hell weren't checking his daily calendar.

So get off my ass you over defensive turd blossoms.

THE original OP was about a POLITICIAN griping about Trump's travel. when mentioned nobody bitched about Obama I put it into context of the OP.. No POLITICIAN bitched.