Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 178

Thread: Truck Needs New Brake Lines

  1. #11
    Power with Control glhs837's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    19,634
    "I aim to misbehave."

  2. #12
    Registered User DEEKAYPEE8569's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Suthin' Merlin
    Posts
    10,366
    Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    So, I'm here to tell you that the tools required are less than $100 total, for nice ones. I paid under $50 for okay ones. A tubing bender (these are tiny lines) and a flaring tool. That's it. Went throught this with the wifes 99 Blazer. Long line front to rear rotted out, and yes, it's endemic to these vehicles, but the class action and recall efforts failed. The labor that's killing you isn't the fabrication. Although that's a part of it. They buy raw line and do what in the Navy we call "Manufacture as per sample", meaning Jim-Bob takes your old line and copies it in new tubing, bend for bend. A couple three hours, tops.

    What's killing you is the associated labor. Those brake lines are inside the frame rail almost the full length of the truck, and everything in the way needs to come out. Trans (maybe) and fuel tank. Did they mention that the fuel lines are made of the same stuff? And that you stand a better than even chance of destroying those trying to remove the fuel tank? And that there's a good chance that the integrated fuel pump/level sensor might bite it during the disconnection process? For another $600 for that part and more labor? That's what they told me.

    So what I did was buy I think 20 feet of line, and the tools, and made a new line. Followed a different routing, but it was safe and worked fine for another three years til the trans failed. On second thought, cut your losses and drop a match in the fuel tank now.
    ha ha.....
    Come to think of it g, I have a tubing bender and a flaring tool; unless my Brother took them to TN. I could just get a couple feet of line, the couplings and splice in a repair. The failure appears to be behind the firewall; under the cab.....so, maybe just a tad less than a couple feet of line.
    Last edited by DEEKAYPEE8569; 03-28-2017 at 04:06 PM.
    If all you are gonna do is give me grief about what I post DON'T READ IT Heh? Have a nice day :-D

  3. #13
    Power with Control glhs837's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    19,634
    Quote Originally Posted by DEEKAYPEE8569 View Post
    ha ha.....
    Come to think of it g, I have a tubing bender and a flaring tool; unless my Brother took them to TN. I could just get a couple feet of line, the couplings and splice in a repair. The failure appears to be behind the firewall; under the cab.....so, maybe just a tad less than a couple feet of line.

    Hmm, that might very well be the six foot line that goes bake to the proportioning valve by the rear axle. I didn't splice, just did the whole thing.
    "I aim to misbehave."

  4. #14
    Thats how them b*tch's R getbent's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Chaptico
    Posts
    3,843
    Hubby replaced the brake lines on our Expedition. He looked it up on Youtube.

  5. #15
    I bowl overhand itsbob's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Patuxent, Maryland, United States
    Posts
    40,930
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by DEEKAYPEE8569 View Post
    You seem to be talking about electronically controlled brakes; that's ABS, which still requires hydraulic lines to the brake calipers at the wheels. Sounds good in theory; but, like I said, mechanically the brakes require hydraulic pressure to operate. That cannot be replaced by electronics. Now, I know there are electronic parking brakes; as my '16 Mazda has, wherein there's an electric motor that engages; I believe it's one rear brake caliper; but I know not of electronic power brakes.
    This is 2017.. Hydraulics don't always mean lines.. and reservoirs..

    MOST planes are built this way now.. NO central hydraulic system, no central hydraulic reservoir.. Each actuator or control has it's own VERY small hydraulic reservoir and a small motor.. no more central reservoir, and no more single point of failure. I think would be easy to implement in a car's braking system, and would make things like brake assisted turning or skid control much easier to implement.
    Nero played the fiddle, Obama danced the Tango.

    Quote Originally Posted by BadGirl
    Bob is the bestest lookin and smartest man I've ever met.

  6. #16
    Registered User DEEKAYPEE8569's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Suthin' Merlin
    Posts
    10,366
    Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    Hmm, that might very well be the six foot line that goes bake to the proportioning valve by the rear axle. I didn't splice, just did the whole thing.
    I know I said 'under the cab.' I haven't thoroughly looked to find exactly where the line failed. Brake fluid sprayed and then proceeded to drip from underneath the whole driver's side; don't know if it was from front to back, or what; so it could be a proportioning valve failure.
    If all you are gonna do is give me grief about what I post DON'T READ IT Heh? Have a nice day :-D

  7. #17
    Registered User DEEKAYPEE8569's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Suthin' Merlin
    Posts
    10,366
    Quote Originally Posted by getbent View Post
    Hubby replaced the brake lines on our Expedition. He looked it up on Youtube.
    If I tackle this myself, that's probably where I'll hope to find the know-how.
    If all you are gonna do is give me grief about what I post DON'T READ IT Heh? Have a nice day :-D

  8. #18
    I bowl overhand itsbob's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Patuxent, Maryland, United States
    Posts
    40,930
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by getbent View Post
    Hubby replaced the brake lines on our Expedition. He looked it up on Youtube.
    Him too?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Nero played the fiddle, Obama danced the Tango.

    Quote Originally Posted by BadGirl
    Bob is the bestest lookin and smartest man I've ever met.

  9. #19
    Registered User DEEKAYPEE8569's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Suthin' Merlin
    Posts
    10,366
    Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    This is 2017.. Hydraulics don't always mean lines.. and reservoirs..

    MOST planes are built this way now.. NO central hydraulic system, no central hydraulic reservoir.. Each actuator or control has it's own VERY small hydraulic reservoir and a small motor.. no more central reservoir, and no more single point of failure. I think would be easy to implement in a car's braking system, and would make things like brake assisted turning or skid control much easier to implement.
    So instead there could be multiple points-of-failure to try to find? No thanks.
    If all you are gonna do is give me grief about what I post DON'T READ IT Heh? Have a nice day :-D

  10. #20
    I bowl overhand itsbob's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Patuxent, Maryland, United States
    Posts
    40,930
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by DEEKAYPEE8569 View Post
    So instead there could be multiple points-of-failure to try to find? No thanks.
    when you have a failure it's better to have 3 brakes than none.

    Same if its a plane. It's best to have one actuator or control surface not work than all of them
    Nero played the fiddle, Obama danced the Tango.

    Quote Originally Posted by BadGirl
    Bob is the bestest lookin and smartest man I've ever met.

Members who have read this thread: 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |