Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Truck Needs New Brake Lines

Quote Originally Posted by huntr1 View Post
    Quade's Auto & Diesel Repair did mine on my suburban. They're a mobile shop. Did it in my driveway.
    I'll give them a call. Hope the cost estimate/bill isn't anywhere near $1200-$1800, just for labor.
    If all you are gonna do is give me grief about what I post DON'T READ IT Heh? Have a nice day :-D

Quote Originally Posted by DEEKAYPEE8569 View Post
    Just talked to Winegardner.....$1200-$1800.....just for labor!
    1st problem - dealership

I replaced several brake lines on the wife's 96 bronco ... the one I thought would be the most difficult - front to rear line was drop dead simple [thanks ford]

the kit with all stainless steel wire wrapped lines was $180 bucks from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard.

Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    So, I'm here to tell you that the tools required are less than $100 total, for nice ones.
    I never could get the flaring tool to work.
    I bought pre-bent lines [Bronco above].... or hand bent ones for my VW's but the ends were already flared.
    Last edited by GURPS; 03-30-2017 at 08:28 AM.
    Weíre tempted to suggest a conspiracy here ó but itís just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply canít conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

3. 03-30-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    1st problem - dealership

I replaced several brake lines on the wife's 96 bronco ... the one I thought would be the most difficult - front to rear line was drop dead simple [thanks ford]

the kit with all stainless steel wire wrapped lines was $180 bucks from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard.

I bought pre-bent lines [Bronco above].... or hand bent ones for my VW's but the ends were already flared.
    One reason I bought 20 feet of line (and still have maybe 10 feet) is that I made about 4-5 practice flares, the first two were trash, I didn't even bother putting the nut over first since I knew that would be the case. The next three I did use the nut, and fitted them to see how they felt going on. By the last one I was pretty confident and went to "production".
    "I aim to misbehave."

Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    1st problem - dealership

Yeah, I learned not to commit to anything like this at the dealership. Recalls, okay; but not something like this. You couldn't get the flaring tool to work? Oh wait, it probably wasn't a Ford flaring tool. Sometimes it seems certain automakers make parts that are only serviceable with "specialized" tools. I learned Chrysler/Plymouth/Jeep/Dodge is good at that.

I was told, the gent in La Plata that replaced the trans in the truck uses steel brake line; makes them up himself. Thing is, he recently had back surgery, so I haven't heard if he's accepting new work. So, I might just give Quade's Auto & Diesel Repair a call and hope for a smaller estimate than $1200-$1800 just for labor.
    If all you are gonna do is give me grief about what I post DON'T READ IT Heh? Have a nice day :-D

6. 03-31-2017, 06:49 AM

I might just give Quade's Auto & Diesel Repair a call and hope for a smaller estimate than $1200-$1800 just for labor.
    Mine was about $400.00.

Quote Originally Posted by huntr1 View Post
    Mine was about $400.00.
    What did you have to have done? One brake like with a leak in an unknown location?
    If the weather's decent later this weekend, I'm going to check for loose fittings. I'm hoping that's what the problem is.

You couldn't get the flaring tool to work? Oh wait, it probably wasn't a Ford flaring tool. Sometimes it seems certain automakers make parts that are only serviceable with "specialized" tools. I learned Chrysler/Plymouth/Jeep/Dodge is good at that.
    No, double flares are the same everywhere. The problem is the cheaper flaring tools require some practice to get to making a decent flare. That's why I have an expensive one..I make up a lot of brake lines.

The CuNi brake line is much easier to flare and bend than steel or stainless steel and has become probably the most popular option for new custom lines, or replacing existing lines that have rotted out.

And I've got 10 bucks sez it's not a "loose fitting"...because it never is. ;-)
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

A length of rubber tubing and a few clamps is all ya need.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Quote Originally Posted by GWguy View Post
    A length of rubber tubing and a few clamps is all ya need.
    Guaranteed not to leak....until the first time you apply brakes, anyway..
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    Guaranteed not to leak....until the first time you apply brakes, anyway..
    That's what I was thinking.

Members who have read this thread: 2