Trump’s attack on environmental laws won’t save coal miners’ jobs

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
trump11.jpg

This_person

That makes sense. Eliminating the reason coal plants were put in layup (waiting to be restarted) means that the plants still won't be restarted and there will be no need for more coal. That makes perfect sense (to an idiot).

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Boy believes that the previous 6 or 7 high cycles of global temps were also caused by human activity, so...

Chris0nllyn

I'd like to assume not many people, especially Trump voters, believed that Trump was going to bring back coal jobs or even manufacturing jobs.

This_person

I'd like to assume not many people, especially Trump voters, believed that Trump was going to bring back coal jobs or even manufacturing jobs.

I don't think he's going to do a damned thing about jobs, except try and limit those at the federal government level. I do think he is doing some things (not much, but some) to help with the regulatory environment that may have as a result a change in the job market.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

I'm OK with him simply rolling back what those rogue and overreaching agencies had done and let things sort themselves out naturally from there. Changing the corporate and personal tax situation could have a bigger impact. And there certainly are some types of manufacturing jobs that will remain, or originate, in the US and even expand. Not the classic "smokestack" sectors, of course, or heavy industry like shipbuilding either. India, China, Tawian, etc have got all of that.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Boy's stupid cartoon also illustrates well a classic logical fallacy that the left are employing on practically a daily basis now in response to Trump's actions. The false dilemma; the false premise that stopping and rolling back, to some extent, gross Federal overreach, will immediately result in the complete and total reversal of literally EVERYTHING that came before it. Scrap some recently and very hastily, at last minute, imposed Clean Air regulations and we'll all be wearing portable breathing aparati to get to work tomorrow. Cut back on the funding to Chesapeake Bay groups and the bay will become a toxic cesspool within a week. And so on... Those on the left are not very smart, and it shows.

black dog

Free America
Boy's stupid cartoon also illustrates well a classic logical fallacy that the left are employing on practically a daily basis now in response to Trump's actions. The false dilemma; the false premise that stopping and rolling back, to some extent, gross Federal overreach, will immediately result in the complete and total reversal of literally EVERYTHING that came before it. Scrap some recently and very hastily, at last minute, imposed Clean Air regulations and we'll all be wearing portable breathing aparati to get to work tomorrow. Cut back on the funding to Chesapeake Bay groups and the bay will become a toxic cesspool within a week. And so on... Those on the left are not very smart, and it shows.

Rumor I heard this morning was, all three coal burners in Maryland were shutting down the new scrubbers and putting the old smokestacks back on line. Get ready for the old Southern Maryland acid rain again.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Rumor I heard this morning was, all three coal burners in Maryland were shutting down the new scrubbers and putting the old smokestacks back on line. Get ready for the old Southern Maryland acid rain again.

I thought many of them converted to Natural Gus production..

and since today, Natural Gas is the still the cheapest per kWh, why would they go back to coal??

This_person

and since today, Natural Gas is the still the cheapest per kWh, why would they go back to coal??

Coal is still very profitable:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca.../gJQAB5LDQX_story.html?utm_term=.5da6cb11c9ff

https://www.adn.com/uncategorized/a...-plants-allow-timely-replacement-/2011/05/05/

Why coal is more expensive right now said:

black dog

Free America

Well Bob, Morgantown and Dickerson don't have Natural Gas lines to feed them, Chalk Point does but only for the gas turbines on top of the hill.
All were designed to warm-up on #2 or #6 and shift to coal. Certainly when we start mining coal like we used to the raw costs will drop. If it already wasn't profitable do you think they would still be running.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

That does not stand any credibility test. The "new" scrubbers were installed to comply with older requirements and have been on line for some time now. All the new requirements that were going to kill the plants were since then put in place by the Child King, some right near the end of his reign and rendered the new scrubbers inadequate.