Names Released in Thursday's Fatal on Patuxent Beach Road

newsBot

Automated News Bot
Staff member
This just in from the somd.com Headline News:

Title: Names Released in Thursday's Fatal on Patuxent Beach Road

Date: 03-31-2017 02:18 PM

Summary: Police in St. Mary's have released the names of the two men involved in Thursday's fatal accident on Patuxent Beach Road.

Click here for the full story...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
People drive like crap. Then they wonder why we have "no cellphone" laws and the popo are always cruising around looking for dumbasses.

luvmygdaughters

People drive like crap. Then they wonder why we have "no cellphone" laws and the popo are always cruising around looking for dumbasses.

Yep! Read yesterday that the guy in car was passing people on the TJ bridge and driving very erratically. Bad enough they put themselves in danger, but, they usually wind up taking an innocent person with them. Prayers to the family of both.

black dog

Free America
Has anybody watched all the videos of the second firetruck rolling up on the fire already being put out. That truck is cruising and it rolls hard to the right when he turns to get to the accident.

officeguy

Has anybody watched all the videos of the second firetruck rolling up on the fire already being put out. That truck is cruising and it rolls hard to the right when he turns to get to the accident.

Yup, but if you write here that apparatus is being operated in an unsafe manner, folks jump all over you.

officeguy

It was moooving, when it arrived. I'm sure when it turned left buttholes puckered in the cab.

They are used to it.

Memory in the fire service is short. Wasn't it just last year that a driver pinned the sheriff against a pickup ? Didn't the very same department roll a truck in 2013?

I am not so much concerned that he would toss the truck. It is the risk to cops, EMTs and fellow firefighters already at the scene that makes me shake my head. Based on the photos, this is engine 91 out of the BDVFD station in California. Dont we have a couple of insiders here who could give the safety officer for station 9 a call ?

Last edited:

littlelady

God bless the USA
They are used to it.

Memory in the fire service is short. Wasn't it just last year that a driver pinned the sheriff against a pickup ? Didn't the very same department roll a truck in 2013?

I am not so much concerned that he would toss the truck. It is the risk to cops, EMTs and fellow firefighters already at the scene that makes me shake my head.

Maybe, you and bd should run the FD. Y'all come back now, ya heah? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

officeguy

Maybe, you and bd should run the FD. Y'all come back now, ya heah? :rolleyes:

If they made me county director of emergency services and put the VFDs under my management, we wouldn't see any more tumbled trucks. There are accidents you can't avoid, civilians who don't see the truck and T-bone you etc. Putting a truck on its side is a self-inflicted injury.

The video is an illustration of the irresponsible driving that is at the root of these accidents. At the time the second engine arrived, this was not a lifesaving operation. Driving the S-curve around the parked cruiser 15mph slower would have delayed their arrival by less than 5 seconds.

littlelady

God bless the USA
If they made me county director of emergency services and put the VFDs under my management, we wouldn't see any more tumbled trucks. There are accidents you can't avoid, civilians who don't see the truck and T-bone you etc. Putting a truck on its side is a self-inflicted injury.

The video is an illustration of the irresponsible driving that is at the root of these accidents. At the time the second engine arrived, this was not a lifesaving operation. Driving the S-curve around the parked cruiser 15mph slower would have delayed their arrival by less than 5 seconds.

Then why aren't you in that position, if you are all knowing? Did you ever strive for it, or put in for it? First responders put their lives on the line. Are you willing to do that, or just post on a forum, and say what you would do? Just wondering.

One more thing. The way I see it is the people that choose to want to save people have adrenalin flowing when they hear a call, and want to get there asap. Why are you critical of people that want to save people; and to add, most are volunteers. I don't get your drift; so to speak. You may need them someday. Just sayin'.

Last edited:

black dog

Free America
Then why aren't you in that position, if you are all knowing? Did you ever strive for it, or put in for it? First responders put their lives on the line. Are you willing to do that, or just post on a forum, and say what you would do? Just wondering.

One more thing. The way I see it is the people that choose to want to save people have adrenalin flowing when they hear a call, and want to get there asap. Why are you critical of people that want to save people; and to add, most are volunteers. I don't get your drift; so to speak. You may need them someday. Just sayin'.

Yep I might need them one day, but I don't want anybody to die on there way to help me.
You surely can't justify bad behavior for the greater good?
Well hopefully your precious Gdot will not be the kid that gets squished the next time a fire truck in Montgomery Co runs a red light for no other reason than to get to a call 12 seconds faster. Or they are walking down a sidewalk and a emergency vehicle driven recklessly rolls over and mows them over. Bravado is huge within LE and the FD,
That's the point we are talking about, the truck rolled in like a idiot.

And since you asked about qualifications, I was a maintenance planner at Md's three coal power plants, my job was to not only plan and emplament maintenance procedures on equipment and employee's in the plant.
It included the root cause analysis of all equipment and employee accidents. So yes I have seen many accidents in the years I worked there and other places.

Last edited:

Hijinx

The volunteer services in St. Mary's could sure use some help. Mostly during the day,perhaps from people who have free time to spend in a forum.
It isn't all that easy to get a crew for Fire and ambulance services these days and some companies are running on skeleton crews.
Most Fire Departments have equipment sitting in quarters,but no crews for them.
During the day it is not unusual for an Ambulance company to scratch and another company has to be sent from the next closest station.
Now in the big cities the next closest station isn't so far way, but here it can be 10 to 15 miles or farther away.Even given 5 minutes to get to the station and driving at an average 60 MPH, which is almost impossible it can be an easy 20 minutes for the arrival of the 2nd' due ambulance. Not very good when the wife is doing CPR on her husband. Now you add in all of the taxi rides and calls because someone feels they will be seen faster if they go by ambulance and it gets a little rough.
The service is begging for people and the training is provided. Join up and help make the changes you think are needed.
I am sure they could use a retired maintenance engineer, or housewife, or ditch digger.
It takes a lot of time out of the day for these people to respond to help their neighbors, it takes training, and you would crap if you knew the cost of equipment and supplies.

The old days when farmers were home and could leave their fields and be volunteers are over.Today we are mostly bedroom communities.People are working far away and not so many folks are around to answer the calls.Help is needed. Join up

black dog

Free America
The volunteer services in St. Mary's could sure use some help. Mostly during the day,perhaps from people who have free time to spend in a forum.
It isn't all that easy to get a crew for Fire and ambulance services these days and some companies are running on skeleton crews.
Most Fire Departments have equipment sitting in quarters,but no crews for them.
During the day it is not unusual for an Ambulance company to scratch and another company has to be sent from the next closest station.
Now in the big cities the next closest station isn't so far way, but here it can be 10 to 15 miles or farther away.Even given 5 minutes to get to the station and driving at an average 60 MPH, which is almost impossible it can be an easy 20 minutes for the arrival of the 2nd' due ambulance. Not very good when the wife is doing CPR on her husband. Now you add in all of the taxi rides and calls because someone feels they will be seen faster if they go by ambulance and it gets a little rough.
The service is begging for people and the training is provided. Join up and help make the changes you think are needed.
I am sure they could use a retired maintenance engineer, or housewife, or ditch digger.
It takes a lot of time out of the day for these people to respond to help their neighbors, it takes training, and you would crap if you knew the cost of equipment and supplies.

The old days when farmers were home and could leave their fields and be volunteers are over.Today we are mostly bedroom communities.People are working far away and not so many folks are around to answer the calls.Help is needed. Join up

All good reasons to go to a paid Fire Department.

black dog

Free America
I agree 100%

Are you ready to be taxed to pay for it?
We should have a paid Fire Department.
Of course it doesn't come cheap.

I live in a town of less than 5,000 people. The average property tax bill is less than 500 dollars and we have a paid Dept. Its a nice modern building in the middle of downtown full of new shiney equipment. It depends on the Township / County you live in and how the money is spent.
Certainly with the tax base that the lower countys have, it shouldn't be that difficult to implement.

And I've done my Volunteer time in my life thank you.

Hijinx

I live in a town of less than 5,000 people. The average property tax bill is less than 500 dollars and we have a paid Dept. Its a nice modern building in the middle of downtown full of new shiney equipment. It depends on the Township / County you live in and how the money is spent.
Certainly with the tax base that the lower countys have, it shouldn't be that difficult to implement.

And I've done my Volunteer time in my life thank you.

Yes I am sure you have. By the way where is this paradise you live in , we may all want to move there. Does it also have open carry?

Pete

Repete

The thing is that they don't do that. Right this minute two Maryland State Troopers are sitting on 245 near the Coach Craft Body shop where the speed limit drops from 50 to 40 around a curve writing out tickets. It is a revenue exercise only. While people on 235 are lane weaving, following too close, swaying across lines, left lane camping and generally driving stupid our law enforcement is concentrated in rural areas around blind curves making the state $70 a pop by snagging people doing 10 over where a speed limit drops and they don't slow down in time. and no they did not get me. They have in the past but not in the last few years.

If they were truly worried about public safety they would be out moving in the most heavily travelled roads in the area showing the badge and preventing bad driving or catching those who do it anyway. As it stands they are "protecting" people in such hot spots of criminal activity as ST. Johns Rd, Macintosh rd, Loveville Rd cause don't you know 55 in a 40 on a wide open well lit, well marked state road is worse than what goes on on 235 and RT 5 everyday.

Pete

Repete
I agree 100%

Are you ready to be taxed to pay for it?
We should have a paid Fire Department.
Of course it doesn't come cheap.

I agree totally as well. With regard to the taxes take out the rather large contribution I make to the feds because that isn't in the picture. I still pay a rather large sum to the state of Maryland and ST. Mary's county along with property taxes and a dozen or so other state and local taxes. I would say that Maryland and ST Mary's county taxes are on par or slightly higher than most places in the country. Where the deficit comes in is services provided. ST Mary's has a sheriff, just like every other county in the country. We have no other Law enforcement despite California, Leonardtown, Great Mills and perhaps Hollywood being large and populous enough to warrant one. All of the ambulance services are volunteer, the fire department, volunteer and the trash pickup is a contractor the customers pay directly. The roads are in pretty decent shape but they are fairly sparse, 235, 5, 4, GM RD, 236, 245. Many of the rest are private roads in developments because the county or state won't take them into the system. Only certain areas have water and sewer and they pay dearly for it because the cost of an area is limited to that area and not spread across the entire county.

My question is that if we are taxes at a rate pretty much equally to other locations, why are the services and infrastructure in ST Mary's so lacking? If we are not paying for extended police, fire ambulance service and road work where is the tax revenue going?