Maryland Gas and Electric guy

Warron

So a guy came to my door stating he was from Maryland Gas and Electric and wanting to see my SMECO bill to sign me up for a program to lock in my electric rate to a fixed rate. I am very paranoid of unsolicited requests to sign up for anything, so I refused. But I am curious if this is a legitimate program or some competitor trying to sign me up in a scam fashion or just a plain scam? Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Pick one, they're likely all correct.

Some guy came to our house last summer with "absolutely the cheapest, rock bottom rates. Over 25% less than BGE".

I had just happened to have paid the BGE bill. The KWH charge for it was 15% less than the "absolute rock bottom" one.

General Lee

Isn't SMECO the only game in town for St. Mary's, Charles and some of Calvert? Never heard of other options in those parts, except northern Calvert.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Isn't SMECO the only game in town for St. Mary's, Charles and some of Calvert? Never heard of other options in those parts, except northern Calvert.

The competition is based solely on the Standard Offer Service (SOS) energy rate which is currently $0.076389 per kWH, per SMECO. It Does not include all the Facilities Charge or Distribution Charge(4.3360 cents per kWh) or other rates shown on your bill. It is really not worth the switch it for the average home owner that uses 1000-1500 kWH per month. You would still get a SMECO bill without the rate charge, but with all other charges, and then a separate bill from the "lower rate" company.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Those guys came around in our subdivision a few months ago.

Held up my hand to stop their spiel and asked if they saw the legal notice at the entrance to the area of "No Soliciting?"

They said "No."

I said, "Follow the instructions and leave."

I then closed the door on them.

mitzi

I saw a post on FB from the Sheriff's Dept. saying it's a scam to call them.