Another serious accident april 1, 2017 route 235/ st. Jerome's neck road

3CATSAILOR

Baynet is reporting yet another serious accident on Route 235/St. Jerome's Neck Road in Dameron. It happened around 9AM today. A MSP helicopter flew out a person that I believe was the driver. It occurred around 0900. It looks like the driver went off the road for a unexplained reason, hit the St. Jerome's Neck Road sign and turned over. I don't know the condition of the driver. We should all pray for his/her quick recovery. How many more of these accidents do we need until the police do something tangible about it? It is certainly adding up. What happened to the old saying and ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure? If they are doing something, they must know by now it isn't enough.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
What do you propose our Sheriff's office and State Police Barrack do about it?

3CATSAILOR

What do you propose our Sheriff's office and State Police Barrack do about it?

Come up with a better solution. As you see, the one they have doesn't work. Lets start with enforcing distracted driving "24/7". Perhaps that might be a good start. But, it isn't just the police. We can't just blame them. Yes, they can do better. I am sure they will admit it themselves. Educate our children in our schools not to be on the cell phone when driving. But, our society can do something. - Stay off the darn cell phone when you are driving. It should be SHUT OFF when you are behind the wheel. What a novel idea. Will people do it? No. I'll make a prediction here and now. - Police will continue to have little to no enforcement for distracted driving. Therefore, more and more people will die. Their ages will be mainly 25 to 45, with a few older ones mixed in for good measure. Watch the local media within the next few weeks and lets see if I am right.

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Come up with a better solution. As you see, the one they have doesn't work. Lets start with enforcing distracted driving "24/7". Perhaps that might be a good start. But, it isn't just the police. We can't just blame them. Yes, they can do better. I am sure they will admit it themselves. Educate our children in our schools not to be on the cell phone when driving. But, our society can do something. - Stay off the darn cell phone when you are driving. It should be SHUT OFF when you are behind the wheel. What a novel idea. Will people do it? No. I'll make a prediction here and now. - Police will continue to have little to no enforcement for distracted driving. Therefore, more and more people will die. Their ages will be mainly 25 to 45, with a few older ones mixed in for good measure. Watch the local media within the next few weeks and lets see if I am right.

I guess we could put cameras in EVERYones cars and every time you take your eyes off the road your credit card gets hit with ever increasing fines..

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
A solution to what, being a dumbass and ignoring laws that are already in place?

That would be awesome, if possible.

Here's a good start:

Implement a $1000 fine, paid directly to the issuing agency, for cell phone to ear usage.

Double auto insurance premiums on anyone with a second offense.

Reward 10 patrol officers who write the most tickets each month, with an extra 40 hours in their paycheck.

Third offense earns you 6 months license suspension and driving classes where they show videos of the bloodied/dead victims of distracted drivers.

Third offense, death by lethal injection.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Here's a good start:

Implement a $1000 fine, paid directly to the issuing agency, for cell phone to ear usage.

Double auto insurance premiums on anyone with a second offense.

Reward 10 patrol officers who write the most tickets each month, with an extra 40 hours in their paycheck.

Third offense earns you 6 months license suspension and driving classes where they show videos of the bloodied/dead victims of distracted drivers.

Third offense, death by lethal injection.

That would probably do the trick.

glhs837

Power with Control
How did we reduce DUI/DWI? We made the societal and financial penalties so tough that very few people will laugh and joke about how Ol' Joe had to drive home by braille. If I can drive 235 for 10 minutes and see 2-3 people holding phones against the steering wheel or their ears, so can an officer. Last time I remember there being any press about it was a couple years back, I think, and IIRC, the Sheriff basically said they pulled an enforcement wave with grant money, and given more grant money, they would do more. Which translates to "I view this as less of a safety threat than virtually anything."

Until we drop the hammer. both for tolerance societally and financially, this will continue, and people will die. Sadly, a lot of them will be folks who didnt do anything wrong other than be on the road with a cell phone azzhole.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If I can drive 235 for 10 minutes and see 2-3 people holding phones against the steering wheel or their ears, so can an officer.

I like how you think but want to point out that cellphone users don't put down the phone when they see you, but they will when they spot a cop.

3CATSAILOR

:yeahthat:

Unfortunately, the police cannot be in all places at all times to protect the stupid from themselves.

Ask the St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office how many deputies are assigned to the traffic safety section of the Sheriff's Office. In that, you will know part of the problem.

3CATSAILOR

I like how you think but want to point out that cellphone users don't put down the phone when they see you, but they will when they spot a cop.

Police Officers are except from the cell phone law. It doesn't mean they are safer drivers. It only means they are exempt.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Ask the St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office how many deputies are assigned to the traffic safety section of the Sheriff's Office. In that, you will know part of the problem.

What does that have to do with people driving stupidly? Should there be a higher ration of police to dummies?

glhs837

Power with Control
What does that have to do with people driving stupidly? Should there be a higher ration of police to dummies?

Because deterrence matters. Knowing that they are actively ticketing folks for a certain kind of offense, assuming the fine has bite, will lead to folks doing less of it. Heck, look at blocking the box, for a week or two after the Sherriff has one of his semi-annual events, it drops down to zilch.

3CATSAILOR

Some do, some don't. I witnessed a marked police car beside someone at the light on the cell phone. The officer ignored it. Or, you can say he didn't see it. If so, then he may have been blind. It was too easy not to miss. I am not sure why they choose not to enforce the texting law. It would be interesting to use the Freedom of Information Act and find out how many tickets they issued every year for texting. I suspect you will be surprised that it is very few. However, in all fairness to them, they have very few resources to enforce texting. Meanwhile, more and more people will get in accidents. And some will die.

BernieP

Resident PIA
That would probably do the trick.

distracted driving is not limited to cell phone to ear. There are people who are distracted with a hands free device.
Listening to the radio
Talking to a passenger in the vehicle.
Putting makeup on
Lighting / smoking a cigarette.
Eating
Drinking.
and then there is just plain ignorance.
People who fail to properly yield the right of way - there are dozens of examples I see every day on my ride in and on the way home.

As we so often say, being stupid isn't illegal .... yet.