Holy Shiat, deadly toll booth crash.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Crap.jpg

officeguy

In 1983, seven people died in a tollbooth crash in Connecticut. The state decided that the couple of bucks they were making off the tolls wasn't worth it and did away with toll collections. That was of course before EZ-pass and now as all good democrats they are thinking to get back into the highway robbery business.

Hijinx

In 1983, seven people died in a tollbooth crash in Connecticut. The state decided that the couple of bucks they were making off the tolls wasn't worth it and did away with toll collections. That was of course before EZ-pass and now as all good democrats they are thinking to get back into the highway robbery business.

Believe it or not the toll was once taken off the Potomac River--Nice Bridge.
When they built the Bay bridge they put the toll back on to help pay for the new bridge, and it never came back off.
Now because gas is cheaper in Virginia we get to pay an extra $2.00 as a way to stop us from going there to buy it.

officeguy

Believe it or not the toll was once taken off the Potomac River--Nice Bridge.
When they built the Bay bridge they put the toll back on to help pay for the new bridge, and it never came back off.
Now because gas is cheaper in Virginia we get to pay an extra $2.00 as a way to stop us from going there to buy it.

I'll paraphrase Ronald Reagan here: 'A highway toll is as close to immortality as we will ever get.'
They are always levied 'to pay off the bonds', but like effing magic, once the bonds are paid off there is some other urgent need that requires the toll. If the money collected at the Nice Bridge was put into a trust fund for the replacement, they could have built the 4 lane replacement 10 years ago.

black dog

Free America
Ten years,. Naaaaaaa. With the volume of traffic it has moved in its life, I would bet it could have been replaced in 1960, 1980 and upgraded to four lanes in 2000 and still have money left over.

Hijinx

Ten years,. Naaaaaaa. With the volume of traffic it has moved in its life, I would bet it could have been replaced in 1960, 1980 and upgraded to four lanes in 2000 and still have money left over.

Why does the Government call it a "trust" fund. I suppose because you can trust it will be spent for something other than what it was called a "trust" fund for.

officeguy

Pretty much.

And now we are going to spend $65mil on a bikelane for the new bridge!