Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Corps' quest for the best rifle for infantrymen

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post
    You'll get NO argument from me on caliber. I think the 5.56 has a role, especially in street fighting, door to door stuff. But, yeah, if it's me, I'll have an M-14, please.
    The M14 is a great rifle for sure, I still shot across the course with one a few times a year.
    Why would you pick one to carry in combat over a M16 / M4 rifle?
    Proud to be a cereal comma user.

Split the difference and pick an AR10 type.

Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    The M14 is a great rifle for sure, I still shot across the course with one a few times a year.
    Because I've never had to.

In today's battlefield, pretty much all urban, it seems there is no real need for the average infantryman to carry the extra weight other than punching holes in some walls a 5.56 might not be so good at. He's not shooting at anyone 5-600 yards away anymore.
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

7.62 will penetrate more things
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

“There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

And if a statue can oppress you, then I submit that you have greater issues. - A West.

Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    As does .338

He's not shooting at anyone 5-600 yards away anymore.

Shorter Barreled M-14 .... 18 inch instead of 22 or 24
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

“There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

And if a statue can oppress you, then I submit that you have greater issues. - A West.

Because I've never had to.

In today's battlefield, pretty much all urban, it seems there is no real need for the average infantryman to carry the extra weight other than punching holes in some walls a 5.56 might not be so good at. He's not shooting at anyone 5-600 yards away anymore.

If you would have humped one it would be a love, hate relationship.
    Urban? Lots of shooting at distance still going on in Iraq and Afghanistan.
    5.56 certainly is quite lethal at 5 to 600 meters. After 700 meters a battle rifle the 30 caliber really shines.

Shorter Barreled M-14 .... 18 inch instead of 22 or 24
    Whit the newer ammunition yes, shorter barrels are ok. But shooting SS109... 855 it has to have at least a 20" barrel to keep the bullet from losing yaw ( tumbling ) after 300 meters. Hence the reason for a improved 5.56 round.

So will a tank,
    but who wants to hump the now rifles extra weight and that of 7.62 ammo is a 1 to almost 3 rounds different than 5.56
    Would you rather carry 120 rounds or closer to 300 depending on what bandoliers are issued.

Blog Entries
    So will a tank,
    but who wants to hump the now rifles extra weight and that of 7.62 ammo is a 1 to almost 3 rounds different than 5.56
    Would you rather carry 120 rounds or closer to 300 depending on what bandoliers are issued.
    Well, as an M60 gunner I carried 500 rounds of 7.62 while my assistant gunner carried an additional 500 rounds (or more) plus the spare barrel.

Combat load for an infantryman is 180 rounds (6 30 round magazines), so 500 - 1000 rounds v 180...

Wouldn't be too much to ask (if you have a 7.62 Automatic Rifle) for others to share the load as well.. like they do with a Man Portable Mortar.. Everyone short of the RTO and Medic each carry 2 rounds or more.

AND like somebody mentioned above.. what's the weight difference between an AR-15 and an AR-10??
    Nero played the fiddle, Obama danced the Tango.

Quote Originally Posted by BadGirl
    Bob is the bestest lookin and smartest man I've ever met.

Members who have read this thread: 40