Marvel Comics Learns Politics Doesn't Sell Well

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Marvel VP: 'Diversity' In Our Characters Is KILLING Our Sales

On Monday, Marvel Comics admitted what those who actually read comics have known all along: the emphasis on leftist messaging in comic books is killing the appeal. David Gabriel, the vice president of sales at Marvel, said that comic book retailers were reporting a drop-off in interest in the new, diversity-oriented comics: “What we heard was that people didn’t want any more diversity. They didn’t want female characters out there. That’s what we heard, whether we believe that or not. I don’t know that that’s really true, but that’s what we saw in sales…Any character that was diverse, any character that was new, our female characters, anything that was not a core Marvel character, people were turning their nose up.”

It’s not racism driving people away from Marvel, though. It’s a feeling of irritation that classic characters are being redrawn and recast in order to assuage the feelings of social justice warriors. Iron Man is Tony Stark, not Riri Williams. Captain America is Steve Rogers, not Sam Wilson. Thor is Thor, not female Thor. Spider Man is Peter Parker, not Miles Morales.

This isn’t to say that the comics with Miles Morales aren’t good (they're actually really good, although the Iron Man series with Riri Williams isn’t any good at all). It’s to say that nobody wants to see iconic superheroes recast as completely different people to appease quotas on race and sex. Superheroes are brands. You can't twist those brands without hurting them.

People want entertainment NOT Lectures ...... or Diversity for the sake of Diversity

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
In many social issues, the real factors are ignored. Take crime. Rudy Giuliani cleaned up New York City with a get tough on small crime approach. All the shady characters dispersed and the area became livable. People bitched and moaned because the police be hasslin folks. But in reality the complainers were the law breakers, not the people trying to live in peace.

Hunger & poverty are addressed by things like food stamps and welfare. But many people use food stamps as the singular way to pay for groceries while using freed up money to purchase other unnecessary items. I've witnessed many food stamps users at the supermarket exit the store and get into a 2 year old or newer car.

The latest cry is for prison reform. Lots of drug dealers were released from jail by Obama's pardons. People have a choice whether to get involved with illegal activities. Everyone knows there is a steep price to pay if you are caught and convicted.

So write comics that are fiscally profitable. ANything else should be dropped and move on to the next project.

Toxick

Splat
It’s not racism driving people away from Marvel, though. It’s a feeling of irritation that classic characters are being redrawn and recast in order to assuage the feelings of social justice warriors.

Here you go. This sentence deserves to be repeated.

It’s not racism driving people away from Marvel, though. It’s a feeling of irritation that classic characters are being redrawn and recast in order to assuage the feelings of social justice warriors.

In case you didn't catch that:

I'm going to frame this #### and hang it on my wall as the smartest thing to come out of the press since two-thousand-ever.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
as the article said some things just should be .....

IRON MAN - Tony Stark

Want Iron Maiden - invent a NEW Character doing s similar JOB in a similar tech suit
Capt American - Same deal - some super serum makes a 'new' Person with similar capabilities
Spider Man
Thor

on and on .... Asgard was full of People .... a new one comes along with a different weapon NOT Thor's Hammer

tommyjo

Funny how all of you claim to be so informed...yet in reality all you ever do is search for confirmation of your biases...not one of you researched the item to see in what context it was offered did you?

Here...since you all are so lazy:

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/37152/marvels-david-gabriel-2016-market-shift

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/37154/marvel-retailer-summit-day-1

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/37153/marvel-retailer-summit-day-1

This piece contains a statement from Mr. Gabriel. https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...hasis-on-diversity-may-have-alienated-readers

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Funny how all of you claim to be so informed...yet in reality all you ever do is search for confirmation of your biases...not one of you researched the item to see in what context it was offered did you?

Here...since you all are so lazy:

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/37152/marvels-david-gabriel-2016-market-shift

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/37154/marvel-retailer-summit-day-1

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/37153/marvel-retailer-summit-day-1

This piece contains a statement from Mr. Gabriel. https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...hasis-on-diversity-may-have-alienated-readers

Monistat not working, aye?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Sitterson claims he made Salvo a fat woman because the original was too "alt-right" for his sensibilities.

"Also, being entirely honest, as great as the design is, in 2017, a big, heavily muscled white guy with a shaved head, massive guns and a t-shirt that reads THE RIGHT OF MIGHT gives off a vibe that reads way too alt-right for me," Sitterson virtue signaled on Twitter. Swapping out a fit soldier for an obese POC (person of color) was exactly the salve for Sitterson's angst about the perceived "alt-right" influence on a classic comic (drawn before alt-right was a thing). However, Sitterson was about the only one happy with this change. Comics fans everywhere boycotted G.I. Joe and let IDW Comics know that they would not be buying any more until Sitterson was fired.

Diversity & Comics founder Richard Meyer led one such protest on his YouTube channel, where he reviews comics and decries the SJW overtake of the industry. PJ Media reached out to Meyer to get his reaction to the firing of Sitterson.

"My hope was to get Sitterson fired and for IDW to stop peddling SJW politics," explained Meyer. "I'm happy with how he was removed."

When asked what the final straw was that caused the blowback, Meyer fingered Salvo, saying he "was the touchstone." He added, "The obesity was the biggest factor. It's ridiculous." Indeed, portraying American soldiers as fat, slovenly women is not only ridiculous but insulting to the military.

SJW Comics Writer Fired after Turning G.I. Joe Character into an Overweight Lesbian

Misfit

Lawful neutral
They just turned Snake Eyes from G.I. Joe into a female. I don’t think it will work … a woman that doesn’t talk isn’t believable.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
as the article said some things just should be .....

IRON MAN - Tony Stark

Want Iron Maiden - invent a NEW Character doing s similar JOB in a similar tech suit
Capt American - Same deal - some super serum makes a 'new' Person with similar capabilities
Spider Man
Thor

on and on .... Asgard was full of People .... a new one comes along with a different weapon NOT Thor's Hammer

They did Captain "Black America" a long time ago with a character called Luke Cage.

glhs837

Power with Control
They did Captain "Black America" a long time ago with a character called Luke Cage.

Right, but unless I'm mistaken, thats an existing character who was already black assuming the mantle of one who was out of action for some reason or another, correct? And the reason that the female black Iron Man (although there's some I feel rightful discussion asking why she couldnt be Iron Woman or some other variant of the Iron person theme) didnt raise too many hackles. Becuase they didnt say Tony Stark never happened, he added another person to the Iron Man team, really. People dont care so much about adding diversity, but they get ticked when it you erase other stuff to jam it in.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Right, but unless I'm mistaken, thats an existing character who was already black assuming the mantle of one who was out of action for some reason or another, correct? And the reason that the female black Iron Man (although there's some I feel rightful discussion asking why she couldnt be Iron Woman or some other variant of the Iron person theme) didnt raise too many hackles. Becuase they didnt say Tony Stark never happened, he added another person to the Iron Man team, really. People dont care so much about adding diversity, but they get ticked when it you erase other stuff to jam it in.
I can't address much of what you posted here, as I really haven't read any comic books in 40 years. My point was they added what you could define as diverse characters back in the 60s and 70s.

They probably do better to resurrect some of those storylines instead of trying to create some of these wildly exaggerated characters to satisfy some fringe elements.

The reason these characters were popular in comics had to do with their strength of character, not Race, sex or sexual orientation. Kids really don't give a #### about that crap.

glhs837

Power with Control
I can't address much of what you posted here, as I really haven't read any comic books in 40 years. My point was they added what you could define as diverse characters back in the 60s and 70s.

They probably do better to resurrect some of those storylines instead of trying to create some of these wildly exaggerated characters to satisfy some fringe elements.

The reason these characters were popular in comics had to do with their strength of character, not Race, sex or sexual orientation. Kids really don't give a #### about that crap.

Exactly my point. :) Give me heros who are heros, not becuase of shape or color or gender, hero isnt defined by those things.