Motorcycles taking car spots? Tick you off? Why?

glhs837

Power with Control
So, at my building, there is one spot for bikes. A bit out there, and on an odd slope. And wont hold but thrre or four bikes, depending on how many dressers show up. So I never use it. I take a car spot nearer the building. Winter, I just part centered, since the odds of another rider wanting to share is pretty low. But a day like today, I'll park offset so another rider can get in there also. Guy had been behind me since Gate 3, entered lot from another direction, I gave him the nod to park first. Then I backed in next to him. Noticed him give me a look as he walked away, then about three more times he looked back at me from the 40 feet ahead of me he was..... not sure if he was ticked about me taking a spot of that he thought I was too close to his SUV, since he didn't actually speak to me, but given his long look towards the bike spot as he went into the building, I suspect the latter........

So, does a bike taking a car spot bug you, if so, why? Had I driven a car, nobody would bat an eye......

Larry Gude

Strung Out
So, does a bike taking a car spot bug you, if so, why? Had I driven a car, nobody would bat an eye......

Motorcycles are one of the things, the many things, that reveal parts of our baser, lesser nature. Some people actually feel that something is being taken from THEM if you and your little bike take 'too' much and use an entire car space.

I LOVE it when a fellow ride leaves room for two. I love it when there is a skinny space somewhere I can take but I know what you mean; someone is disapproving somewhere feeling something 'taken' from them. We throw rocks at whomever sticks their head up or stands out. :shrug:

DEEKAYPEE8569

So, at my building, there is one spot for bikes. A bit out there, and on an odd slope. And wont hold but thrre or four bikes, depending on how many dressers show up. So I never use it. I take a car spot nearer the building. Winter, I just part centered, since the odds of another rider wanting to share is pretty low. But a day like today, I'll park offset so another rider can get in there also. Guy had been behind me since Gate 3, entered lot from another direction, I gave him the nod to park first. Then I backed in next to him. Noticed him give me a look as he walked away, then about three more times he looked back at me from the 40 feet ahead of me he was..... not sure if he was ticked about me taking a spot of that he thought I was too close to his SUV, since he didn't actually speak to me, but given his long look towards the bike spot as he went into the building, I suspect the latter........

Just ask him, 'Did I do something to pi** you off?'

Miker/t

I've seen three or four bikes sharing a space where I work and people still complain about motorcycles taking up "car" spaces. I always try to park offset to let someone else share.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Takes a pretty skinny scooter to be able to share a space with my dresser. I always park it in the center, taking up a whole spot. That's what they are there for.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

Do you park in back?

glhs837

Power with Control
Do you park in back?

Not anymore, I used to park back there near the fire system valve thing. We moved to the front of the building back around the New Year, so I'm on the south side.

Dee, I might have, but I didn't think anything of the first glance, lots of folks show interest, it wasn't til the second glance back and then the long look towards the bike parking that it really sank in that he was torqued off. And he was a goodly ways ahead of me, so I didn't feel like yelling across the lot. My luck, he's some GSOHMYGOD who can get me in trouble :)

Gil, when my bikes not in "Big Fat Fanny" mode with the side cases, it's not too wide. But when it is, yeah, no sharing spots.

glhs837

Power with Control
I don't know, bob. What's the difference between a BMW car, bike and porcupine? :popcorn:

Depends on where the prick is, Larry :) Inside or outside :) But that doesn't touch a convertible :) Which I'll be driving once I get mine reassembled :)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I get momentarily annoyed when I think I see an empty spot, only to find a motorcycle tucked in there, but that has nothing really to do with the bike itself.

glhs837

Power with Control
I get momentarily annoyed when I think I see an empty spot, only to find a motorcycle tucked in there, but that has nothing really to do with the bike itself.

Buddy of mine had a Geo Metro and took great pleasure in "short parking" it between SUVs just to get people like you (and me) annoyed when the "open" spot evaporates :)

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Buddy of mine had a Geo Metro and took great pleasure in "short parking" it between SUVs just to get people like you (and me) annoyed when the "open" spot evaporates :)

With the bike I take extra care to park in the back of the space.. don't want anyone pulling into the space and not seeing the bike before they hit it..

NO fake open spaces..

Clem72

Parking in a regular sized spot doesn't bother me, actually I would prefer to be parked next to a bike than someone's daily commuter F350 super duty that hangs over both sides of the compact space.

What I did mind when I had the regular commute was bikes cutting the line at the gate.

glhs837

Power with Control
Parking in a regular sized spot doesn't bother me, actually I would prefer to be parked next to a bike than someone's daily commuter F350 super duty that hangs over both sides of the compact space.

What I did mind when I had the regular commute was bikes cutting the line at the gate.

Yeah, I don't agree with that.