Drugs claim 2 more lives...

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
PREMO Member
Patron
Is there any hope for people hooked on these hard drugs? It seems that even the ones who do get help have a high rate of relapse.

On April 4 at 3:58 p.m., officers responded to a wooded area in the 11100 block of Billingsley Road in Waldorf for the report of two people found deceased inside a tent. A preliminary investigation showed a family member went to check on the two people –- Victoria Nicole Crossley, 31, of Waldorf, and Andrew Charles Boyle Jr., 31, of no fixed address –- who were known to live in the tent periodically. When the family member looked inside the tent, it was apparent both Crossley and Boyle were deceased. Detectives with the Criminal Investigations Division responded and found evidence of narcotic use on the scene. There were no signs of trauma to either person and foul play is not suspected at this time. Detective C. Shankster and Detective R. Forbes are investigating.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Is there any hope for people hooked on these hard drugs? It seems that even the ones who do get help have a high rate of relapse.

Yup. Legalization and treatment for what it is; a health issue.

Legalization wipes out the illegal profit motive and gets unregulated, untested, uncontrolled drugs off the streets; they no longer exist any more than bath tub gin or people drinking turpentine.

Otherwise, this will just continue.

tommyjo

This MUST be FAKE news!

Trump just signed an Executive Order that:
It shall be the policy of the executive branch to combat the scourge of drug abuse, addiction, and overdose (drug addiction), including opioid abuse, addiction, and overdose (opioid crisis).

How can it be that anyone is dying from drugs? Trump signed and EO!?!? These folks must have known Susan Rice or George Soros! Or...it was the fault of the Obama admin.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-pres...tive-order-establishing-presidents-commission

Seriously...how does a problem get fixed if no one does anything about it? The drug companies ship a billion opiod pills to WV...overdose deaths skyrocket...a pharmacy or two gets busted...the drug companies pocket the profits and ship a billion pills to another state.

These were two homeless people...no one gives a sh!t about them either. The majority of people on here most likely look at this as a reduction in future govt spending on the poor.

Toxick

Splat
This MUST be FAKE news!

How can it be that anyone is dying from drugs? Trump signed and EO!?!? These folks must have known Susan Rice or George Soros! Or...it was the fault of the Obama admin.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-pres...tive-order-establishing-presidents-commission

Seriously...how does a problem get fixed if no one does anything about it? The drug companies ship a billion opiod pills to WV...overdose deaths skyrocket...a pharmacy or two gets busted...the drug companies pocket the profits and ship a billion pills to another state.

These were two homeless people...no one gives a sh!t about them either. The majority of people on here most likely look at this as a reduction in future govt spending on the poor.

$T2eC16R,!ysE9sy0iH+)BR)8PVIZg!~~60_35.jpg

black dog

Free America

Legalization wipes out the illegal profit motive and gets unregulated, untested, uncontrolled drugs off the streets; they no longer exist any more than bath tub gin or people drinking turpentine.

So, you think that alcohol being legal and available almost everywhere, alcoholic's are not known to drink mouthwash, hair tonic, paint thinner, sterno and so forth to quench the need.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
So, you think that alcohol being legal and available almost everywhere, alcoholic's are not known to drink mouthwash, hair tonic, paint thinner, sterno and so forth to quench the need.

As compared to prohibition? No. And you don't think so either.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
This MUST be FAKE news!

That's me. I believe everyone has the right to go to hell in their own way. Some people it's mountain climbing, some is BASE jumping others it's car racing. in all of these cases they went out doing what they loved.

3CATSAILOR

Spoken like a true Democrat. Legal or illegal - They are addicted. When police catch the drug addicts, they need to follow each person up with solid programs to help folks get off the drugs. And then it needs to be followed up over a long term to ensure they don't return to it. Too many drug addicts and not enough good programs. - Unfortunately, quite a few do return to drugs even when they had help. Most Detention Center facilities have programs to help people get off drugs if they want to. Many do not take advantage of it. Thus, the cycle continues until either they are dead or they kill someone else that results in a long sentence for them.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Spoken like a true Democrat. Legal or illegal - They are addicted. When police catch the drug addicts, they need to follow each person up with solid programs to help folks get off the drugs. And then it needs to be followed up over a long term to ensure they don't return to it. Too many drug addicts and not enough good programs. - Unfortunately, quite a few do return to drugs even when they had help. Most Detention Center facilities have programs to help people get off drugs if they want to. Many do not take advantage of it. Thus, the cycle continues until either they are dead or they kill someone else that results in a long sentence for them.

Are positions are different how?

DannyMotorcycle

I agree with Larry. I am NOT a liberal *spit*. If an idiot wants to waste his life away high on an opiate, let him.
It's his choice, his life.. and as long as he wants to and can, he will despite the legality. Drug prohibition certainly is NOT stopping drug overdoses. It's enabling gangs to be funded. It's enabling them to produce unregulated poisoned drugs that are killing people.
I likely had to spend some good money because some junkie wanted to get high huffing the freon out of my air compressor. That's deadly too. I'd much rather he be able to spend a few bucks on a thirty day bottle of whatever those pills are rush limbaugh was taking. the synthetic heroine pills that the junkies seem to like.

If it really worries you, make gov't run health centers where they can be monitored while high or something. Clearly prohibition is NOT keeping the drugs out of anyone's hands, so its' pointless, it's actually causing trouble, adding to the problem. We should have learned a clear lesson from alcohol prohibition. It doesn't work.

let me also remind you, the more expensive the habit is, the more likely they are to break our $100 windows to steal $5 items from us. now if they had a 30 day supply for $5 like the cost of aspirin, they could mow lawns high to support their habits,etc and be functional addicts instead of criminal addicts.

I believe in small gov't, i'm against baby murder, i believe in the 2nd amendment, i'm pro corporations, i'm against social justice warrior crybaby morons, blocking roads. I'm all for nuking and eradicating the religion who's prophet instructed his followers to drink camel urine, while their koran tells them that jesus is the messiah who gives life yet they still believe in the jihad. as a matter of fact, those fools need a new opiate.

Last edited:

BernieP

Resident PIA
Not sure I agree with legalization. Everything that is sold legally is also available illegally because the illegal stuff usually sells cheaper particularly if it involves goods that are taxed.

Drug addiction, regardless of the substance, is a mental health disease, just like alcoholism.
In both cases treatment is only successful when the patient wants to get clean.
Unfortunately what we lack is good, affordable, mental health care. Which would go along with an educated public and political leaders.

The law enforcement community is left holding the bag on this, they know only one way to deal with the problem, arrest and incarceration.
Because that's what law enforcement is about, it's not a mental health agency, it's not a public health agency. It enforces the law.

Legalization will only make it more difficult to get the dealers and the gangs they support off the street.
We need to reduce the demand.

That's not a new idea, the countries that export the drugs have long told the US that they can't fight the producers as long as the US provides a huge market.

pardon my rambling, saw something that gave me another thought.

I'm not condoning drug use, but there are users and there are addicts. There is a distinction, just as there are people who drink and there are alcoholics. The addict and the alcoholics cannot control themselves except by total abstention from the substance(s). There is no turning use on and off. Recreational users can and do.

Because they have a problem, they become prime targets for all kinds of crime, even in recovery, they become victims of people seeking to profit from their illness. Dealers, pawn shops, landlords, you name it.

Last edited:

DannyMotorcycle

I'm going to reply in bold font.

Not sure I agree with legalization. Everything that is sold legally is also available illegally because the illegal stuff usually sells cheaper particularly if it involves goods that are taxed.
I don't think you meant to say everything. "everything" is an absolute. Where can i buy everything (legalized products) cheaper illegally? I'll have some illegal aspirins, milk, gasoline, etc etc.. . Not everything sold illegally is less expensive. All of those drug addicts who also consume alcohol seem to be buying beer from liquor stores and not some illegal cheaper source. They have no reason to spend more money legally on alcohol, while they illegally buy drugs. You do have a point about the taxes, so we can just agree to not tax the stuff.

Drug addiction, regardless of the substance, is a mental health disease, just like alcoholism.
In both cases treatment is only successful when the patient wants to get clean.
Unfortunately what we lack is good, affordable, mental health care. Which would go along with an educated public and political leaders.

I know they say addiction is a disease.. but how much of that political correctness? People do just
decide to stop patronizing their addictions cold turkey. Not everyone, but enough to realize it's not a universal truth.

You can't just decide to stop having a disease. Many do decided to give up their addictions. Also what other mental health disease requires you to continue a behavior for it to continue?

The law enforcement community is left holding the bag on this, they know only one way to deal with the problem, arrest and incarceration.
Because that's what law enforcement is about, it's not a mental health agency, it's not a public health agency. It enforces the law.

Law enforcement isn't trying to resolve the problem, and it isnt' supposed to. That's not their job.
They're just adhering to the job instructions. The judicial branch isn't law enforcement. Judges often force addicts to participate in rehab programs. Law enforcement aren't determining the incarceration aspect.

Legalization will only make it more difficult to get the dealers and the gangs they support off the street.
We need to reduce the demand.

If drugs were legalized the big corporations would put street dealers out of business just like they do
with mom and pop stores. "Reduce the demand" is on the right track but I think eliminate the demand
would be a better choice of words. However I would even question that. Why? If people want to take legal risks to get high (that has no bearing on others), tha'ts called freedom. Are we going to stop allowing people consume alcohol too? 20k vehicle homicides involve alcohol per year on average. that's a much bigger problem killing innocent people, than drug addicts. stop sky divers? stop vehicle racers at the race track? What about the worlds oldest profession? that too? Are we just going to pick and choose what deadly activities we 'allow' as if it's our right to regulate their health and choices? based on what? how palatable we think it is? The high might not be exactly the same, but it's still dangerous activity that people do for the feeling, and risking death upon themselves. And many racers will spend their money on racing like an addict. If you want to get rid of the demand for illegal drugs, make the drugs legal and affordable, and controlled. A lot less people would be dropping dead from bad batches and OD's. Isn't that what the problem is? That and those who can't afford their habit so they commit crime. Some people should be sedated from opiates vs causing havoc on society. If they want to induce themselves, all the better.

That's not a new idea, the countries that export the drugs have long told the US that they can't fight the producers as long as the US provides a huge market.
We've tried banning it, that doesnt' work. isnt' it logical to just give them as much as they want? as cheaply as possible?

pardon my rambling, saw something that gave me another thought.

I'm not condoning drug use, but there are users and there are addicts. There is a distinction, just as there are people who drink and there are alcoholics. The addict and the alcoholics cannot control themselves except by total abstention from the substance(s). There is no turning use on and off. Recreational users can and do.

By that logic you should be for alcohol prohibition. Are you?

Because they have a problem, they become prime targets for all kinds of crime, even in recovery, they become victims of people seeking to profit from their illness. Dealers, pawn shops, landlords, you name it.

I'd say addicts are more likely the perpetrators of crime than victims.

officeguy

If we had legal heroin, there would still be junkies dying in tents in the woods. No different from alcohol. Some people can't be helped.

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
If we had legal heroin, there would still be junkies dying in tents in the woods. No different from alcohol. Some people can't be helped.

And we'd NOT have the violence and corruption and cynicism and disrespect for the law.

Seems like a fair trade to me.

officeguy

And we'd NOT have the violence and corruption and cynicism and disrespect for the law.

Seems like a fair trade to me.

Just a reminder that legalization of drugs won't make it all rainbows and puppydogs. We would have fewer issues related to the criminal justice system, there would still be plenty of addicts and the problems that they create.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Just a reminder that legalization of drugs won't make it all rainbows and puppydogs. We would have fewer issues related to the criminal justice system, there would still be plenty of addicts and the problems that they create.

I don't know how to make it any clearer; I GET that. We have an ENORMOUS alcohol abuse problem in the US. It costs untold billions of dollars for all sorts of negative things. What we DON'T have is the violence of crime chasing the profits that can ONLY come from prohibition and we don't have the corruption that only comes from prohibition and we don't have the cynicism and loss of respect for the laws and values of an, ostensibly, FREE nation and we also don't have the responsibility that comes from learning to make choices.

So, do we want the abuse problems AND the violence and corruption and all the EXTRA ills that come from, ONLY come from prohibition or do we want just the abuse problems? It's like you folks have not the first clue about what happened the last time we did this. :shrug:

PeoplesElbow

And yet alcohol still causes a ton of problems in our society.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You know. It just hit me. You and I disagree on this issue. And, we've given it a pretty good going over and over a lotta years.

What if we agreed to disagree?

No, I dig the discussion. If you don't want to discuss, that is certainly your prerogative. I will still question and discuss, and address statements that I believe are false or don't understand.