Drivers License scan for alcohol sale???????

Catman2

Roland's of Chesapeake Beach has just implemented a DL scan. This seems a little over the top to me. Too much impertinent info here for a liquor sale IMHO. Do they have the right to this info? What about identity theft.......your thoughts please. ( I left the bottle there.)

black dog

Free America
I get the part about checking age but for what reason are they collecting data of who I am and what did I purchase. Maybe a 25% off mailer for a bottle of single malt?
I simply would tell Roland's NO thank you.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My guess is that because the cops send in people to try and buy underage, Roland isn't taking any chances.

We're a weird country. Give kids sex lessons in school and greenlight them for potential STDs and unwanted pregnancies, but by god you better not let them drink a beer or smoke a cigarette.

:crazy:

intertidal

Last weekend, I bought beer and wine at Nick's. When the cashier didn't ask for ID, I asked her if she wanted to see my license. She burst out laughing. I told her that wasn't very nice but was happy she was so enjoying her job...

GRN96WS6

Isn't scanning it just to check to ensure it's not a fake? I don't think they are storing info off the license.

tommyjo

My guess is that because the cops send in people to try and buy underage, Roland isn't taking any chances.

We're a weird country. Give kids sex lessons in school and greenlight them for potential STDs and unwanted pregnancies, but by god you better not let them drink a beer or smoke a cigarette.

So that was a really stupid post...the idea of sex ed classes is to teach kids (who are going to do this anyway) how to prevent STDs and unwanted pregnancies...that' s really the whole freaking point.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
So that was a really stupid post...the idea of sex ed classes is to teach kids (who are going to do this anyway) how to prevent STDs and unwanted pregnancies...that' s really the whole freaking point.
So then Moronica, why arent we teaching them drinking, how to do illicit drugs and techniques in reckless driving since they're going to do those as well?

Last edited:
Maybe the cashiers can't subtract 2 numbers to figure out an age, so they rely on computers to do it for them. Green light means OK. Red light means nope.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I'm not sure that spotting fakes is a responsibility of the store...
It's a single purpose bar code scanner that reads the back of the DL, compares the birthdate to the actual date and gives a green or red light. How many people who would counterfeit a license would have the brains to code their vitals and add it on the back? Cadillac jacks has had one for at least 10 years.

GRN96WS6

So then Moronica, why arent we teaching them drinking, how to do illicit drugs and techniques in reckless driving since they're going to do those as well?

That isn't the point, the fact is fakes are out there and if the scanner doesn't light up green then you can't buy the booze, if you don't have a fake it's no worry and they are not keeping your info, all the scanner does is look at DOB that's it and verifies it. A lot of clubs have been doing this for years, it's nothing new.

Also like the poster above me states they likely won't code the info into the barcode thus it won't light up green so no sale.

Nicks won't sell you beer without a license, can't use a passport or a mil ID has to be a license, even though the other two are gov't issued.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

:yeahthat:

officeguy

Some bars and age restricted clubs now use this. They can program the name of anyone who has been given a no-trespass order into the scanner. That way, even if a bouncer doesn't recognize a particular troublemaker, the scanner will pick it up.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Roland's has been checking ID for liquor and cigarettes almost since it opened. The store got burned by stings early. In fact, if a cashier fails to check ID they're fired on the spot, there's a sign at every register to that effect.

As far as the license bar code goes, both of the Beach FastStops also do it.

Kinnakeet

Maybe the cashiers can't subtract 2 numbers to figure out an age, so they rely on computers to do it for them. Green light means OK. Red light means nope.

THE KIDS NOW A DAYS ARE TAUGHT THAT THE WHO WERE RIGHT 1+1 =1 AND THE KIDS ARE NOT ALL RIGHT.:razz:

DEEKAYPEE8569

Roland's of Chesapeake Beach has just implemented a DL scan. This seems a little over the top to me. Too much impertinent info here for a liquor sale IMHO. Do they have the right to this info? What about identity theft.......your thoughts please. ( I left the bottle there.)
I bought a keg for my Brother and his buddies one weekend when he was @ UMD. I was up there for something he had going on, so they made me "a deal." 'You buy us this keg and you can stay the night and get drunk with us.' :shrug: Didn't pass that up.
The liquor store scanned my D/L to buy the keg. I didn't understand why at the time. I've only ever heard of the store clerk visually checking D/L's for liquor/beer sales; not scanning them.
Odd.....

Forkian

Roland's is just trying to do the right thing and not sell to kids and not accept any fake ID's. As you can image the kids now can make fake ID's that are very realistic.
Roland's doesn't want fines or to lose their license.
Good for them.
I have no problem with it.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I'm not sure that spotting fakes is a responsibility of the store...

You might think that....but I know of specific instances where local stores were busted when a sting purchase was successfully made by one of the cadets or other uteful-looking LE personnel displaying an altered ID.