GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
... As Gay

[Barry Manilow]

:shrug:

so what ... In Other News, Water is WET

SamSpade

I can't remember the comedian who had this in his act, but he was all about people who came out that seriously didn't need it.

I mean, quite a lot were surprised by Rock Hudson.
Some people were a *little* surprised about Robert Reed (Mike Brady of the Brady Bunch).

But the comedian's shtick was when Liberace died and it was revealed that he was gay.

"What! Liberace! WHO KNEW?"

PsyOps

Pixelated
I can't remember the comedian who had this in his act, but he was all about people who came out that seriously didn't need it.

I mean, quite a lot were surprised by Rock Hudson.
Some people were a *little* surprised about Robert Reed (Mike Brady of the Brady Bunch).

But the comedian's shtick was when Liberace died and it was revealed that he was gay.

"What! Liberace! WHO KNEW?"

In 2017-America I don't see why anyone needs to come out with being gay or anything else. It's supposed to be normal. I don't need to be told that you are normal.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I LOVE Barry Manilow's music! :yahoo: I didn't know otherwise - I've always thought he was gay. :shrug:

I went to a concert of his in the early 80's and it was probably one of the most fantastic concerts I've ever been to. His orchestra sounded magnificent and his performance was awesome.

SamSpade

I LOVE Barry Manilow's music! :yahoo: I didn't know otherwise - I've always thought he was gay. :shrug:

I went to a concert of his in the early 80's and it was probably one of the most fantastic concerts I've ever been to. His orchestra sounded magnificent and his performance was awesome.

Years ago, when I had one helluva difficult time getting a date in high school - I spent a buttload of money buying tickets at Merriweather Post Pavilion with the idea that - dammit, for ONCE you are *going* to try and get a date if it kills you.

The first one was to Barry Manilow and I asked the girl I'd been crushing on for three years and finally had the courage to ask her out.
I asked her if she liked Barry Manilow - she turned and pulled back her buttoned down sweater to show she was WEARING a Barry Manilow t-shirt - but told me NO, she would be in Texas that weekend.
(STILL have that five seconds of imagery in my mind - dear God, she was gorgeous).
Since it took me every shred of courage and self esteem I had in me at 17 - I never asked her out again. I did however ask a very nice - and admittedly hot girl - to the concert - and we had a great time.
Especially afterward. We had a *great* time. Still want to thank the person who suggested I ask her.
I don't KNOW of an artist who currently has that effect on women, but I wish there was. Even I enjoyed his concert, especially his routine where he covered the myriad of commercial jingles he was famous for, but people didn't know about.
(One of them, they STILL USE - State Farm).

Anyone knew - any man who could get women to drop their clothes with their songs could have any woman they wanted - and he had none.
Had to be gay. Maybe in the 70's you didn't come out, but it's not like everyone DIDN'T know. Jeez, Elton John? Freddie Mercury? Boy George? George Michael? Was there EVER any doubt?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
<-- Not a Barry Manilow fan. Okay, maybe Copacabana but that's it. If I were romantically inclined toward some guy and he put ol' Barry on the stereo, that would be the end of that. When I was in school and all the chirps were mooning over Barry Manilow songs, my gang was getting into the punk and New Wave scene. And we liked Bob Seger. Kool and the Gang. Talking Heads. Soft pop was something we had to sing in chorus class, not what we listened to on our own time.

But if Barry Manilow got you laid, that's excellent. :yay:

Hijinx

What got me laid certainly wasn't Barry Manilow it was the movie Thunder Road at the 235 Drive In.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
<-- Not a Barry Manilow fan. Okay, maybe Copacabana but that's it. If I were romantically inclined toward some guy and he put ol' Barry on the stereo, that would be the end of that. When I was in school and all the chirps were mooning over Barry Manilow songs, my gang was getting into the punk and New Wave scene. And we liked Bob Seger. Kool and the Gang. Talking Heads. Soft pop was something we had to sing in chorus class, not what we listened to on our own time.

But if Barry Manilow got you laid, that's excellent. :yay:

That's not the effect Barry Manilow had on moi. Barry White, maybe. :hot:

You know ME - I'm that Top 40 Pop music* chickie! :biggrin:

*TBH - I say Top 40 because I could never pin myself down to any one genre. I have a very eclectic taste in music.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Agent to Barry: "Dude, funds running low. We need some 'pop'.

Barry: "Ok. Well, I could write a song and..."

Agent; "Not necessary. You have a great catalogue. We just need you in the news, raise awareness if you will, and people will buy some stuff."

Barry; "Oh, come on. That's silly! Don't people want a song writer to write a song and then..."

Agent; "Look. Let's try it my way first, OK?"

Barry: "Fine. What do you have in mind?"

Agent: "Easy. You come out!"

Barry: "Come out of what???"

Agent: "You know...out."

Barry: "LOL, you must be joking. I was never in."

Agent; "Not the point. You never came OUT."

Barry; "You're saying there are people out there who never realized I'm gay?'

Agent; "Not the point, kiddo. You never came OUT. You never announced it. Simply announcing it WILL sell stuff."

Barry; "You must be joking."

Agent; "Dude, you write the songs, remember? I sell 'em..."

Barry; "If this works, I'll suck yo..."

Agent; "All you have to do is thank me, OK? And pay me. And you should be thankful. Princes agent's plan was a whole lot worse...however, he sure sold some stuff..."

Larry Gude

Strung Out
1976 or 77 I got drug to a concert @ merriweather post pavilion ... I was maybe 11 or 12

I was 8 or so. DAR Constitution Hall. ALL my cousins and my big sis; girls. Guess who they LOVED? David Effing Cassidy. Guess who always got stuck doing what the girls wanted?

I'll say this; It was loud as #### for an 8 year old. First 'real' concert.

Next one? Cap Center in '77. Some band no one had heard of, 'Van Halen' something or other opened. I thought THAT was loud.

And then...this happened and I learned what LOUD really was;

[video=youtube;-J1PmKuGobE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J1PmKuGobE[/video]

Hank

my war
Agent to Barry: "Dude, funds running low. We need some 'pop'.

Barry: "Ok. Well, I could write a song and..."

Agent; "Not necessary. You have a great catalogue. We just need you in the news, raise awareness if you will, and people will buy some stuff."

Barry; "Oh, come on. That's silly! Don't people want a song writer to write a song and then..."

Agent; "Look. Let's try it my way first, OK?"

Barry: "Fine. What do you have in mind?"

Agent: "Easy. You come out!"

Barry: "Come out of what???"

Agent: "You know...out."

Barry: "LOL, you must be joking. I was never in."

Agent; "Not the point. You never came OUT."

Barry; "You're saying there are people out there who never realized I'm gay?'

Agent; "Not the point, kiddo. You never came OUT. You never announced it. Simply announcing it WILL sell stuff."

Barry; "You must be joking."

Agent; "Dude, you write the songs, remember? I sell 'em..."

Barry; "If this works, I'll suck yo..."

Agent; "All you have to do is thank me, OK? And pay me. And you should be thankful. Princes agent's plan was a whole lot worse...however, he sure sold some stuff..."

:lmao: