NRP involved MVA

3CATSAILOR

I assume you mean this.....

The use of emergency equipment (lights & siren) "requests" the right of way. It does not demand it. Thus, this is why the officer was provided a ticket. I would have provided her a ticket as well. She is a very young officer. However, it is no excuse. Hopefully everyone will be okay. There will probably be a lawsuit to follow.

glhs837

Power with Control
The use of emergency equipment (lights & siren) "requests" the right of way. It does not demand it. Thus, this is why the officer was provided a ticket. I would have provided her a ticket as well. She is a very young officer. However, it is no excuse. Hopefully everyone will be okay. There will probably be a lawsuit to follow.

Not the norm to see this, normally I think this is handled internally. I think if she had not been NRP and young, it would not have been a ticket.

officeguy

Not really. 'Shall' in a law means 'must'.

Article - Transportation

§22–218

(f)The use of the signal equipment described in this section imposes on drivers of other vehicles the obligation to yield the right–of–way and stop as required in Title 21 of this article.

§ 21-405

(a) On the immediate approach of an emergency vehicle using audible and visual signals that meet the requirements of § 22-218 of this article or of a police vehicle lawfully using an audible signal, the driver of every other vehicle, unless otherwise directed by a police officer, shall yield the right-of-way.
(c)On the immediate approach of an emergency vehicle using audible and visual signals that meet the requirements of § 22–218 of this article or of a police vehicle lawfully using an audible signal, the driver of every other vehicle, unless otherwise directed by a police officer, shall stop and stay in this position until the emergency vehicle has passed.

(e) This section does not relieve the driver of an emergency vehicle from the duty to drive with due regard for the safety of all persons.

You can only violate the righ of way rules if you had a chance to see/hear the emergency signals. That is why the EVO has to make sure every other vehicle had a chance to see him before proceeding into a signaled intersection. In this case the NRP pickup was obscured by a box truck. It was her obligation not to proceed untilshe had a full view of the intersection. This rule is routinely violated, rarely ticketed. Still a good idea to treat every other vehicle like they won't give you the right of way, even if they are required to do so by law.

Last edited:

officeguy

What kind of emergency can natural resource police have, someone seen fishing without a licence?

Supposedly this was for a boat on fire. If true, certainly an emergency. As always, you are not going to save a life if you crash on the way there.

General Lee

What kind of emergency can natural resource police have, someone seen fishing without a licence?

Actually NRP officers have state wide jurisdiction on ALL crimes to include traffic laws. They are state police officers. With that said, they generally don't respond to the routine stuff local police and troopers handle. But occasionally if they are in the area of an incident or observe a crime/violation not related to their mission they will respond.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Not the norm to see this, normally I think this is handled internally. I think if she had not been NRP and young, it would not have been a ticket.

Agreed, I'm surprised. Surprised they didn't cite the driver of the pickup.
I wonder if it was a State Trooper involved if it would have gone that way and this isn't a jab at the DNR cops.

black dog

Free America

A few years ago I was shooting with one of John Denison's sons at one of their farms on Flora Park Rd in Brandywine, someone called in people shooting going on to DNR. The officer that responded that Sunday afternoon worked the Annapolis area and he told us he was heading over the Bay bridge on his way home when the call came in. He ran the call with lights and no siren, When he approached us he was a little nervous but professional. A few minutes later he took my 10mm MP5 for a spin and then thanked us and headed back to the shore. They have a lot of duty's sometimes.

officeguy

A few years ago I was shooting with one of John Denison's sons at one of their farms on Flora Park Rd in Brandywine, someone called in people shooting going on to DNR. The officer that responded that Sunday afternoon worked the Annapolis area and he told us he was heading over the Bay bridge on his way home when the call came in. He ran the call with lights and no siren, When he approached us he was a little nervous but professional. A few minutes later he took my 10mm MP5 for a spin and then thanked us and headed back to the shore. They have a lot of duty's sometimes.

Just illustrates the idiocy of the dispatch policies that govern PGPD, staties and wardens. If there was a concern that you guys endangered anyone, a quick response from PGPD or MSP would have been the right anwer. If this was about potential poaching, there was no need for NRP to respond with emergency signals from 1/2 way across the state.

black dog

Free America
Just illustrates the idiocy of the dispatch policies that govern PGPD, staties and wardens. If there was a concern that you guys endangered anyone, a quick response from PGPD or MSP would have been the right anwer. If this was about potential poaching, there was no need for NRP to respond with emergency signals from 1/2 way across the state.

All of us were laughing, bureaucracy at its finest I also believe it was unwanted overtime.