100th Anniversary of beginning of Woodrow Wilson's war

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I just finished the book, Woodrow Wilson's War. What an astonishing piece of work he was...I was not aware of the full extent to which he trampled on the Constitution.

Another opinion piece here...

The reason Wilson asked Congress to declare war is pretty well understood. Wilson believed that government is the proper cure for national problems. The Federal Reserve System, that unaccountable and supra-constitutional invention that plagues us to this day, was one of his "cures" for a problem that did not exist.

http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2017/04/centennial_of_a_disaster.html

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Not many are. His last name is the only thing that keeps him from being WORST potus EVER.

D

I've read many (very many) books on that war but, in retrospect, they really all just nibbled around the edges of Wilson's role and actions. Only a few months ago I read a well done book that was only about the Lusitania sinking, for example. Massie's Castles of Steel is a standout book too...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I've read many (very many) books on that war but, in retrospect, they really all just nibbled around the edges of Wilson's role and actions. Only a few months ago I read a well done book that was only about the Lusitania sinking, for example. Massie's Castles of Steel is a standout book too...

It was the beginning, in earnest, of the New World Order. Wilson won election in 1916 expressly promising to keep us out of WWI. That was the core argument of his re-election. He kept us out of war.

The dirty truth of the thing is that he did NOT keep us out. Britain borrowed heavily from us and at some point, people went to Wilson and said "Uh, you do realize if they lose or go to a draw, we ain't gettin' paid up in here?"

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I have , in my collection, a November 1920 edition of a monthly hyperpartisan political publication called the "Yellow Jacket". Many of the various articles are full of blistering vitriol and scorn directed at Wilson. Makes today's political insult slinging look actually pale by comparison..almost.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I have , in my collection, a November 1920 edition of a monthly hyperpartisan political publication called the "Yellow Jacket". Many of the various articles are full of blistering vitriol and scorn directed at Wilson. Makes today's political insult slinging look actually pale by comparison..almost.

You'd mentioned that before. It truly is fascinating how much propaganda we do and consume ourselves, the land of the free and home of the brave. Wilson should be seen as damn near evil to our values.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Wilson should be seen as damn near evil to our values.

Absolutely. I tended to believe the BS narrative that he -and we - were drug screaming and kicking in to that war, having no other recourse or option at that point.

Not.

One of the more special pieces in my collection of historical memorabilia (lost in the house fire) was an illustrated history of the "Great European War", published prior to the US entry. Coffee table sized book, the photographs were simply mind boggling in many cases.

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Absolutely. I tended to believe the BS narrative that he -and we - were drug screaming and kicking in to that war, having no other recourse or option at that point.

Not.

One of the more special pieces in my collection of historical memorabilia (lost in the house fire) was an illustrated history of the "Great European War", published prior to the US entry. Coffee table sized book, the photographs were simply mind boggling in many cases.

Napoleonic battle tactics meets Mr. Maxim and his pal Mr. Vickers.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
And the guns....the simply massive guns and mortars.

It really wasn't the massive ones so much as it was the mid sized, the 75 mm. The French 75 changed the game; accurate, high rate of fire and virtually unlimited quantities of highly reliable ammo.

They were all on the verge of civil unrest at home. Germany, France, England. The people had had enough of the endless slaughter with NO end in sight. Two sides that could NOT throw a knock out punch and could take an attack all day, every day; recipe for rivers of blood.

And then, we stepped in. So the bankers and industrialists could count on getting paid.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It really wasn't the massive ones so much as it was the mid sized, the 75 mm.

I was referring to sheer magnitude and visual impact, not battleground effectiveness. BIG machines...

Of course the French also inflicted us with the Chauchat light machine gun....

Another really "cool" deal were those heavily armored trains that were deployed...especially by the Russians.

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I was referring to sheer magnitude and visual impact, not battleground effectiveness. BIG machines...

Of course the French also inflicted us with the Chauchat light machine gun....

Oh, it's mind numbing. The worst part is that the closing days of our civil war showed the world what was coming. Sherman's campaign to get to Atlanta, chasing Joseph E. day after day found the advent of trench warfare whereby soldiers who'd long learned the value of discretion over valor would start digging in the moment any halt occurred. Before rest. Before food. Same thing was happening as Grant ran down Lee day after day. Mass charges against well placed trenches and massed arty. Yeah, you could make them move. Just as soon as they'd used up all their ammo.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Oh, it's mind numbing. The worst part is that the closing days of our civil war showed the world what was coming. .

Yep, and foreign governments followed the carnage and technological developments with very keen interest.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Yep, and foreign governments followed the carnage and technological developments with very keen interest.

And STILL ####ed up! I loved those stories of the stuffy, super formal French and British attaches riding around with the leadership of both sides, over seeing the carnage. Men rooted in kings, monarchys, watching soldiers who were there, largely, of choice.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The Germans...Prussians in particular...were always convinced of the invincible nature of their superior planning. Failure was never an option...

Oh, and on paper, Schleiffin, and him alone, was on the money. Everyone else WAY underestimated actual response time by units. The Germans were where they were supposed to be when they were supposed to be there with the stuff they were supposed to have. I'm wracking my brains but I think the spent something like 2 days too long in Belgium? And that's when they got ruthless and obliterated them. Absent that, Paris would have fallen right on schedule.

Freakin' anal Krauts. :lol:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

the Colliers book ?