Nuke

Larry Gude

Strung Out
It's been a couple hours - no one has mentioned it?

I predict Mitch will put the old rules back in place right after Gorsuch gets passed along. He does NOT want to be able to pass anything else without the D's being somewhat on board. He needs them for cover.

Hijinx

I predict Mitch will put the old rules back in place right after Gorsuch gets passed along. He does NOT want to be able to pass anything else without the D's being somewhat on board. He needs them for cover.

It really doesn't matter once the first Nuke is dropped.
I hate to see it have to be like this but the democrats are acting like retards so something must be done.
This is total Bullsh1t from the Democrats
They know as well as anyone that Gorsuch is qualified for the job and they are pulling sh1t like this.
It's beyond ignorant.

They are the ones that set this crap up so they got nothing to bitch about.

SamSpade

I'll take that bet - there's rumor around that despite what Ginsburg says - or about what she said PRIOR to Trump's win - she may retire in the next few years.
And rumors have been around that both Kennedy and Breyer might retire. He's going to want to keep that option open.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
It really doesn't matter once the first Nuke is dropped. .

Why? I've been pondering this and, at first, thought, well, it will look bad to be switching the rules back and forth in an overtly partisan manner but, then, why not? if you're a D, you will complain about using the rules to pass the guy but you'd be happy to have them back in place rather than not, right? I mean, had harry done this, passed the ACA, then switched them back, that's better than not, right? My thought is that you develop a new sort of filibuster, majority party members who may refuse to go along changing back and forth?

I dunno but given existing Senate rules state a simple majority is all you need to change the rules, why not?

SamSpade

It really doesn't matter once the first Nuke is dropped.
I hate to see it have to be like this but the democrats are acting like retards so something must be done.
This is total Bullsh1t from the Democrats
They know as well as anyone that Gorsuch is qualified for the job and they are pulling sh1t like this.
It's beyond ignorant.

They are the ones that set this crap up so they got nothing to bitch about.

Well, they've said as much - they have two arguments:
1. "RESIST" - which means, they will pull this over ANY nomination and
2. Revenge - and they've said this repeatedly. They think that's Garland's seat, although at this point they are so wound up, I don't think they'd nominate HIM.

The only complaint I've seen is that Gorsuch will not entertain hypothetical situations - and he should not.
Why should any judge tell someone, this is how I would rule on such a case - that is not law, that is politics.
Ask him about law.

Hijinx

I'll take that bet - there's rumor around that despite what Ginsburg says - or about what she said PRIOR to Trump's win - she may retire in the next few years.
And rumors have been around that both Kennedy and Breyer might retire. He's going to want to keep that option open.

He can reopen it any time he likes. Like I said once Harry Reid opened the door the stopper came out of the bottle.
As for the Supreme Court there is a good chance one of them might die in the next 4 years. Ginsberg is 84 years old , and going senile.Kennedy is 80, Breyer is 78.
4 years is a long time at those ages. No one even at 20 is guaranteed the next 4 years.In all actuality they all should be replaced when they hit 70 IMO.

This_person

All this was for is the rules for cloture on SCOTUS nominees. It does not change anything with respect to legislation.

Short of Trump nominating Garland, there was no way around this except for leaving the court at 8.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
He can reopen it any time he likes. Like I said once Harry Reid opened the door the stopper came out of the bottle.
As for the Supreme Court there is a good chance one of them might die in the next 4 years. Ginsberg is 84 years old , and going senile.Kennedy is 80, Breyer is 78.
4 years is a long time at those ages. No one even at 20 is guaranteed the next 4 years.In all actuality they all should be replaced when they hit 70 IMO.

Let's say Ginsberg dies or retires in September 2019. Then what?

Hijinx

Trump gets another Conservative on the Supreme Court. The Democrats really screwed the pooch on this one.
Of course if they get the Majority at the mid terms I figure we won't get a 9th Judge for 2 years.