Trump declares end to 'war on coal" utilities aren't listening

tommyjo

For all those who think Donald Trump can magically return the coal industry to its past glory, take a read. Regulations aren't killing coal...competition is...people who understand such things already knew Trump's order would have no impact. Those who only read propaganda sites believe Trump will have any impact...

When President Donald Trump signed an executive order last week to sweep away Obama-era climate change regulations, he said it would end America's "war on coal", usher in a new era of energy production and put miners back to work.

But the biggest consumers of U.S. coal - power generating companies - remain unconvinced.

Reuters surveyed 32 utilities with operations in the 26 states that sued former President Barack Obama's administration to block its Clean Power Plan, the main target of Trump's executive order. The bulk of them have no plans to alter their multi-billion dollar, years-long shift away from coal, suggesting demand for the fuel will keep falling despite Trump's efforts.

The utilities gave many reasons, mainly economic: Natural gas - coal’s top competitor - is cheap and abundant; solar and wind power costs are falling; state environmental laws remain in place; and Trump's regulatory rollback may not survive legal challenges.

Of the 32 utilities contacted by Reuters, 20 said Trump's order would have no impact on their investment plans; five said they were reviewing the implications of the order; six gave no response. Just one said it would prolong the life of some of its older coal-fired power units.

North Dakota's Basin Electric Power Cooperative was the sole utility to identify an immediate positive impact of Trump's order on the outlook for coal.

"We’re in the situation where the executive order takes a lot of pressure off the decisions we had to make in the near term, such as whether to retrofit and retire older coal plants," said Dale Niezwaag, a spokesman for Basin Electric. "But Trump can be a one-termer, so the reprieve out there is short."

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN1770D8

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Two points, if the vaunted illusion of 'free market' didn't want coal, why did Obama have to add any regulation to it or come out against it?

And, two, think 'coal exports'.

You're welcome! :buddies:

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
The Progbods are REALLY off the reservation now.

Kleek me

armpit.jpg
This isn't a real radical. Shaved armpit gives her away.

Hijinx

So TJ thinks all coal mining in this country has stopped and Trump cannot make them dig it again.

Well there are still mining operations in effect, there are still people working at getting coal from the ground. He may not return coal to it's form er glory, but those still working-------are still working.

CalvertNewb

You do know three times more people in this country work for Payless Shoes than mine coal in this country right?

Why would we want to prop up a dying industry instead of focusing on Altenratives that will make us competitive with the rest of the world? We are going to be left behind while other countries focus on innovative technologies.

black dog

Free America
You do know three times more people in this country work for Payless Shoes than mine coal in this country right?

Why would we want to prop up a dying industry instead of focusing on Altenratives that will make us competitive with the rest of the world? We are going to be left behind while other countries focus on innovative technologies.

We should stop burning coal when West Virginia and Kentucky are both flat.

littlelady

God bless the USA

Actually, Payless is going under slowly one store at a time; just like HHGregg, Radio Shack, and others. Thanks Amazon, and people that don't shop locally. As far as alternatives, why don't we put up more wind farms and kill more birds? As far as being competitive, have you kept up with news about the bad air quality in England (especially London) and China? JMO, yo.

Here is my bing search. Peruse at your leisure.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=is+there+coal+in+china&src=IE-SearchBox&FORM=IENTTR&conversationid=

Last edited:

CalvertNewb

Actually, Payless is going under slowly one store at a time; just like HHGregg, Radio Shack, and others. Thanks Amazon, and people that don't shop locally. As far as alternatives, why don't we put up more wind farms and kill more birds? As far as being competitive, have you kept up with news about the bad air quality in England (especially London) and China? JMO, yo.

Here is my bing search. Peruse at your leisure.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=is+there+coal+in+china&src=IE-SearchBox&FORM=IENTTR&conversationid=

So should the government step in and prop up Payless shoes because they employ so many people? No. That's capitalism.

yes. I have. And the air quality is only going to get worse everywhere if we start burning more coal. It's time to move on to better cleaner alternatives

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Why would we want to prop up a dying industry instead of focusing on Alternatives that will make us competitive with the rest of the world?

Dying How Exactly - because of OVER Regulation by progressives ?
Competitive with whom exactly ? China ? India ? who keep throwing up Coal Fired Plant After Coal Fired Plant
Europe ? their green energy deployments are now slowing down, because Gov Subsidies are drying up.

We are going to be left behind while other countries focus on innovative technologies.

Right left behind Because ABC123 batteries and Solyndra were such huge success stories

CalvertNewb

I was going to say the same thing about your opinion. You see the Government is not propping up coal they only stopped the harassment of working miners.
If you define harassment as ensuring a clean future and investing in technology that isn't outdated then sure

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member

Prop up or allow to exist? I don't think removing outrageously burdensome regulations is propping anything up.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Thanks Amazon, and people that don't shop locally.

You Are Welcome ....

Amazon is the greatest thing since sliced bread and I buy my shoes at Wal-Mart

and before you bitch about Wal-Mart - they are the A&P of our Generation - and where is A&P now

SamSpade

I decided to look that up.

https://www.forbes.com/companies/payless-holdings/

About 25,000 jobs.

Wikipedia says about 83,000 work directly in mining coal - physically doing the work. Similar data depending on how you define it yields closer to 80k.
Other parts of the mining industry are transporting coal and power production of coal - about another 80-90.
There's still a substantial number that work for industries totally dependent on coal.
So your Payless remark doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

It doesn't employ what it used to - but the same Wiki page yields at least one other fact - productivity per miner has gone up incredibly.
So while there were five times as many miners 100 years ago, they produce twenty times more per miner.