Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best used pick up?

Best used pick up?

Looking at an '03 F250 Super Duty, 7.3, 180k.

Also an '05 Ram 2500 Cummins 12 valve, 290k (best I can tell is the 24 valve is more complexity for no definitive advantage)

Older Chevy's don't seem to earn much credit.

Want; used, under $10k, diesel, 4by4, extended cab (not crew, but crew OK) 6.5' bed, 8' is not out of the question.

I think I want 250/2500's and up. Towing dual wheel work trailers regularly and want to be able to tow camper and maybe 5th wheel some day.
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

I'm a Ford diesel PU owner for the third time. I have a 7.3 turbo, F350 CC 8' bed.
    I will never own another F350 or a CC 8' bed again.
    For the cost difference along with the capacity the duallys to me are just not worth it.
    Plus when driving the CC 8' bed around is just a hassle to maneuver and park in so many shopping centers and parking lots. And I would suggest just pricing a set of six Michelin's for a dually.
    Remember this about driving a diesel. Drive big,, Pay big.
    When it don't start bust out a thousand. When it drops a injector or two, bust out a few thousand. And most of that's with doing alot of the work yourself.
    If you are interested in buying a 7.3 I would suggest you spend a few bucks and let the guys at Guy Motors in Mechanicsville look at it. The Shop Manager knows his $hit with 7.3's. he was a huge help to me on more than one occasion with 7.3 diesel issues.
    But I will say for towing they are the Shizzle, I hauled a backhoe from MD to Mississippi and it had more than enough power to pull it on a tri- axle trailer through the mountains.
    Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I just reported you. You are one scary individual.

I love Fords, but I know someone with an 04 diesel that has put more into fixing the thing than the truck cost new.
    If what I say offends you then you really don't want to hear what I keep to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplesElbow View Post
    I love Fords, but I know someone with an 04 diesel that has put more into fixing the thing than the truck cost new.

I bought this one from John Hurry in Clement's with under 50 thou, his wife used it to haul horses and she bought a new one. John also has excellent maintenance schedules.
    I'm a believer that how a piece of machinery is driven, operated and maintained is how it will return it's service life to the owner.
    Mine has 225,000 + miles on it and other than normal maintenance I had to pull all the injectors at 150,000 and send them out for rebuild along with new glowplug wiring harness's. About 1,500 bucks with me doing the work.
    Sometime in the near future it will need a auto transmission rebuild, it doesn't slip it just freewheels now when you back off the gas.

Name:  20170409_105630.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  65.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    I'm a Ford diesel PU owner for the third time. I have a 7.3 turbo, F350 CC 8' bed.
    I will never own another F350 or a CC 8' bed again.
    For the cost difference along with the capacity the duallys to me are just not worth it.
    Plus when driving the CC 8' bed around is just a hassle to maneuver and park in so many shopping centers and parking lots. And I would suggest just pricing a set of six Michelin's for a dually.
    Remember this about driving a diesel. Drive big,, Pay big.
    When it don't start bust out a thousand. When it drops a injector or two, bust out a few thousand. And most of that's with doing alot of the work yourself.
    If you are interested in buying a 7.3 I would suggest you spend a few bucks and let the guys at Guy Motors in Mechanicsville look at it. The Shop Manager knows his $hit with 7.3's. he was a huge help to me on more than one occasion with 7.3 diesel issues.
    But I will say for towing they are the Shizzle, I hauled a backhoe from MD to Mississippi and it had more than enough power to pull it on a tri- axle trailer through the mountains.
    Ok, so, basically, getting a good, reliable used diesel is not going to equate to inexpensive like a good, used gas? So, if I can get off the heavy towing desire for now, I might be better off with a good used gas pick up?

So, if so, what do we like in terms of < $10,000 used gas 4by4 pick up?

Thanks all!
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplesElbow View Post
    Me, too. I was hanging out with him the other day and he was going over the list of all he'd done to his '04 250 6.0. He does work the hell out of it.
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post
    Ok, so, basically, getting a good, reliable used diesel is not going to equate to inexpensive like a good, used gas? So, if I can get off the heavy towing desire for now, I might be better off with a good used gas pick up?

Thanks all!
    There is a reason I just bought a Toyota.
    If what I say offends you then you really don't want to hear what I keep to myself.

Cummins.

Easier to work on, less cylinders, more torque, more power.
    Crybaby Cripplecrow Hanging on a Monkey's Toe Club

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post

Thanks all!
    For most people gas is definitely that way to go. I believe even more so when used with high mileage. Gas is easier to work on, parts are cheaper, more places that will work on them and so on. With diesels you have to be diligent with your maintenance, if not it will catch up with you. Plus with gas no winter time issues with plugging it in at night and sometimes blocking the radiator to get more cabin heat.. gas is just easier. IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn View Post
    Cummins.

Easier to work on, less cylinders, more torque, more power.
    Yes they do, along with a horrible oil pressure system. With high miles in the lite truck line 6 cylinders when you get some good wear on the lower end and oil pump oil pressure tanks. To many of them need complete long block rebuilds way to early in the life of a diesel truck. JMHO..
    Working for Denison I drove a Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with a Allison. I never towed with it, but it would definitely smoke the tires.

Members who have read this thread: 3