Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best used pick up?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post
    Looking at an '03 F250 Super Duty, 7.3, 180k.
    That would definitely be my choice. We've got an '02 F-450 7.3SD and three earlier model 7.3 IDI trucks. 180K miles is nothing unless it was very poorly maintained.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    That would definitely be my choice. We've got an '02 F-450 7.3SD and three earlier model 7.3 IDI trucks. 180K miles is nothing unless it was very poorly maintained.
    Found a '99 F250, 7.3, 175k. Dude bought it 3 years ago with 140k, says it was in good shape then but that he spent 12k on stuff that needed doing, new tranny, replace fuse box, has receipts. Says he didn't do injectors or any fuel pumps. I thought those HAD to be done at 10 years or so?
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

Good Maintenance,,That's the key for sure.
    With the cost of over a grand to rebuild a set of injectors ( doing the work yourself ) that will do alot of maintenance and repairs on a gas truck for the average owner.
    When I bought the Black dually from Mr Hurry I walked over and looked at his heavy and farm equipment and every zirk fitting and bushing had bright red synthetic grease around it. John takes care of his stuff.
    Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I just reported you. You are one scary individual.

Found a '99 F250, 7.3, 175k. Dude bought it 3 years ago with 140k, says it was in good shape then but that he spent 12k on stuff that needed doing, new tranny, replace fuse box, has receipts. Says he didn't do injectors or any fuel pumps. I thought those HAD to be done at 10 years or so?
    At 175 I'm shocked it hadn't been done already, I almost would bet money it's running on 7 cylinders and no one realises it. With the cubic inches of a 7.3 and driving around with no heavy load it's tough to tell with a 400 + CI engine.
    When I did this last truck it blew me away how much power I had lost and never realized it had happened.
    I lost two or three cylinders before I noticed it.

And I picked up about 5 mpg with all eight banging away.

Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    At 175 I'm shocked it hadn't been done already, I almost would bet money it's running on 7 cylinders and no one realises it. With the cubic inches of a 7.3 and driving around with no heavy load it's tough to tell with a 400 + CI engine.
    When I did this last truck it blew me away how much power I had lost and never realized it had happened.
    I lost two or three cylinders before I noticed it.

And I picked up about 5 mpg with all eight banging away.
    The guy says he always asked his mechanic to do whatever needed doing. He was trying to sort through his notes as I asked questions over the phone and is happy for me to look through them myself. I'm with you; they had to be done. So, maybe they were and he forgot?
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

On our '02, I've replaced the HPOP and both high pressure oil lines and the engine lube oil pump. The HPOP didn't fail, it was damaged by a previous owner's hack mechanic and had a crack in the housing. The truck aas about 170K miles on it now but only about 30K since the work was done.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

On our '02, I've replaced the HPOP and both high pressure oil lines and the engine lube oil pump. The HPOP didn't fail, it was damaged by a previous owner's hack mechanic and had a crack in the housing. The truck aas about 170K miles on it now but only about 30K since the work was done.
    Have you had to do any injector / glow plug wiring harness replacement or repair along with those awesome wiring through valve cover gaskets.

Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    Have you had to do any injector / glow plug wiring harness replacement or repair along with those awesome wiring through valve cover gaskets.
    Not yet...but I know it's coming. I had Hills replace one weak injector and told them to replace the harness on that side but ...pardon my pun....our wires got crossed and it didn't happen.
    Last edited by Gilligan; 04-11-2017 at 12:42 PM.

Best used pick up?

Hey baby.... come here often?
    You must be Jelly, cause jam donít shake like that.
    I seem to have lost my phone number. Can I have yours?
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Quote Originally Posted by GWguy View Post
    Best used pick up? Hey baby.... come here often? You must be Jelly, cause jam don’t shake like that. I seem to have lost my phone number. Can I have yours?
    Did you just call me fat?
    Quote Originally Posted by kom526 View Post
    Dear Baby Jesus lying in a crib in Bethlehem,
    I thank your divine intervention that I was not drinking anything when I read this post.

Members who have read this thread: 3