Why ‘Girls’ made us hate millennials

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Why ‘Girls’ made us hate millennials

The cast of characters on “Girls” were remarkably, unbelievably awful. If you met a single character from the show in real life, you would be talking about how self-destructive they were. . . forever.

That’s true whether it’s Jessa, who deals with her sadness by offering sex to a stranger in the bathroom of a bar, or Marnie, who married a man who consumed an entire bottle of OxyContin every day. Then there’s Hannah, who ends the series pregnant as a result of a one-night stand with a surf instructor. The surf instructor does not want the baby but does think it should be named “Grover.” And there’s Shoshanna, who almost failed to graduate from NYU and has drifted through her 20s without ever finding a real job.

These antics made for good television. It did not make for a good experience if you were a 20-something New Yorker visiting your family in the Midwest. In that case, it meant beginning every conversation with some variation on, “No, my life is nothing like the ones on ‘Girls.’ I am employed, do not have unprotected sex and no one ever offers me a job that hinges upon me doing a bunch of cocaine.”

Millennials — the generation born between 1982 and 2004 — have long been a punching bag for older generations who claim they are lazy and entitled. But if you look at the facts, that’s not so. Admittedly, there are millennials who are as relentlessly self-sabotaging as Marnie and Jessa and Hannah. But you’d have to look hard for them.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I have never watched that show one single time. I occasionally see it mentioned in other media, and I'm aware that Lena Dunham became a "star" because of the show, but those characters don't even exist for me.

But I get what the author of this piece is saying. It's the same with every other group the media tries to stereotype. Think about the black people you interact with every day (or the white people, if you're black): are they these seething cauldrons of hatred, or are they normal folks going about their business and pleasantly chatting with you in line at the post office?

I'm trying to reject these stereotypes and not let them affect how I deal with others, but man it's tough when you're bombarded with these images every single day.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I have never watched that show one single time. I occasionally see it mentioned in other media, and I'm aware that Lena Dunham became a "star" because of the show .....

:cheers:

Me Neither ...
I know about Dunham because she opened her pie hole getting into politics - saying some pretty dumb things ....

but yes ...
tv does a good job of making Millennial's look lazy and self centered ....

just like every white male is an ignorant moron who understands nothing - to be derided and made fun of

stgislander

PREMO Member
I've never seen "Girls", but watching the three 20-somethings on "The Great Indoors" makes me worry for our future.

(Sarcasm alert. Yes, I realize it is a sitcom.)