Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Solar for the home

Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    There's like a quarter inch between the drywall and the cinder block the exterior brick is attached to - ....
    My house is similar, the ground floor and walk-out basement were cinder block with furring strips attached, hard 1" styrofoam and paneling. So far, I've ripped it down in 2 dens and the basement, down to bare cement, DryLoc'd the walls, built real 2x4 walls with insulation and 1/2" sheetrock. Just that little bit made all the difference in the world, along with new windows. I'd like to do the outside walls in my family room next.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    I'm putting the same kind of system together to provide the lighting power for a new garage and storage building we're putting up on our "off the grid" island. I figured it was easier than trenching a power line the 200' from the generator shed. The component parts are pretty cheap nowadays...I bought a package deal of panels plus automatic battery charger and then some golf cart batters and a cheapo power inverter.
    What's gotten popular out here for pole barn and remote buildings is the prop wind turbines. Looks like all aluminum on about a 30' pole, farmers exspecially seem to use them on buildings that just arn't convenient or cost effective to run electric to.
    My place I have a old Aeromotor wind turbine that I rebuilt a few years ago to keep a remote stock tank full. My kid and I have played around with a few delcotron alternators to see what it will spin. With about 10+ mph wind I can easily spin a 90+ amp alternator.
    Since I'm not their all the time I just don't want do deal with more battery's in my life.
    Maybe in retirement. Have fun with your project.
    Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I just reported you. You are one scary individual.

At $400/month you may come out ahead. I keep getting accosted by the solar city type people. My electric bill runs between $90-$140 dollars and my house is covered by trees, no way it would work out for me.
    If what I say offends you then you really don't want to hear what I keep to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn View Post
    Thank you..
    Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I just reported you. You are one scary individual.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.