Hired Goon Drags Man Off United Flight After He Refuses to Give Up Seat

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Hired Goon Drags Man Off United Flight After He Refuses to Give Up Seat

Passenger Audra Bridges, who uploaded a video of the incident to Facebook, told the newspaper that United initially offered customers $400 and a hotel room if they offered to take a flight the next day at 3pm. Nobody chose to give up the seat that they paid for, so United upped the ante to $800 after passengers boarded, announcing that the flight would not leave until four stand-by United employees had seats. After there were still no takers, a manager allegedly told passengers that a computer would select four passengers to be kicked off the flight.

The man in the video apparently claimed to be a doctor who had appointments with patients the next morning. After he refused to give up his seat, Bridges says a security official threw him “against the armrest before dragging him out of the plane.” According to Bridges, the seemingly disoriented man came back onto the plane with blood on his face and the crew asked passengers to go back to the gate so that United crew could “tidy up” the plane.

[clip]

“Flight 3411 from Chicago to Louisville was overbooked,” a United spokesperson told Gizmodo. “After our team looked for volunteers, one customer refused to leave the aircraft voluntarily and law enforcement was asked to come to the gate. We apologize for the overbook situation. Further details on the removed customer should be directed to authorities.”

In the world of contemporary capitalism, just expecting to receive the services you paid for is often too much to ask. And if you don’t want to be complicit in United’s (and other airline’s) scheme of overbooking flights to squeeze every penny possible, you could be forcibly dragged off a plane while other passengers look on in horror.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Passenger Audra Bridges, who uploaded a video of the incident to Facebook, told the newspaper that United initially offered customers $400 and a hotel room if they offered to take a flight the next day at 3pm. Nobody chose to give up the seat that they paid for, so United upped the ante to $800 after passengers boarded, announcing that the flight would not leave until four stand-by United employees had seats. After there were still no takers, a manager allegedly told passengers that a computer would select four passengers to be kicked off the flight.

The man in the video apparently claimed to be a doctor who had appointments with patients the next morning. After he refused to give up his seat, Bridges says a security official threw him “against the armrest before dragging him out of the plane.” According to Bridges, the seemingly disoriented man came back onto the plane with blood on his face and the crew asked passengers to go back to the gate so that United crew could “tidy up” the plane.

[clip]

“Flight 3411 from Chicago to Louisville was overbooked,” a United spokesperson told Gizmodo. “After our team looked for volunteers, one customer refused to leave the aircraft voluntarily and law enforcement was asked to come to the gate. We apologize for the overbook situation. Further details on the removed customer should be directed to authorities.”

In the world of contemporary capitalism, just expecting to receive the services you paid for is often too much to ask. And if you don’t want to be complicit in United’s (and other airline’s) scheme of overbooking flights to squeeze every penny possible, you could be forcibly dragged off a plane while other passengers look on in horror.

I call :bs:

I have flown United using employee companion passes, and if the plane is full of paying customers, those employees or companions are bumped to the next flight with available seating.

There has got to be more to the story.

glhs837

Power with Control
It wouldn’t surprise me if United’s accounting department already factors in the cost of “beating a random passenger and dragging them off the plane” into their yearly expenses.

AS always, the comments are worth the scroll

Clem72

I call :bs:

I have flown United using employee companion passes, and if the plane is full of paying customers, those employees or companions are bumped to the next flight with available seating.

There has got to be more to the story.

If those employees were aircrew for the return flight it would make sense.

black dog

Free America
Tucker is doing this story tonight on his show, it will be interesting if more information has come out since yesterday.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
It's about time they got serious with these people that bring oversized luggage to place in the overhead bins.

littlelady

God bless the USA
I hope the cop remembered to tell him to get "ahold of himself first"
[video=youtube_share;FNkpIDBtC2c]https://youtu.be/FNkpIDBtC2c[/video]

That was funny, but this situation is not funny. Poor man. Apparently, the officer has been put on leave, and rightly so. Good grief. Watching that video was like a snippet of living in a communist country. Talk about 'snakes on a plane'. Sheesh.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The guy on Tucker tonight who witnessed it said the passenger started losing his #### and the situation escalated. Which is not to say United couldn't have handled that significantly different. You have to wonder why they thought that was a good idea.

But I hate airlines anyway. I love to fly, just not on a commercial airline because they all suck. At least United offered them money and a hotel room - I've never been offered chit the zillion times my plane has been canceled and left me stranded.

littlelady

God bless the USA
The guy on Tucker tonight who witnessed it said the passenger started losing his #### and the situation escalated. Which is not to say United couldn't have handled that significantly different. You have to wonder why they thought that was a good idea.

But I hate airlines anyway. I love to fly, just not on a commercial airline because they all suck. At least United offered them money and a hotel room - I've never been offered chit the zillion times my plane has been canceled and left me stranded.

I hate flying. Going to Hawaii just about did me in. Y'all keep on truckin' on the road in your quest to see America (no flying involved). It is awesome to read about your adventures; and you thought members didn't care. :smile:Whatever the circumstances were on that fligh, to see that guy being dragged down the aisle was horrid, and the reactions of the other passengers was in disbelief. I hope United loses a bunch of biz. Also, tonight the news said that 3000 United flights have been canceled in the last few weeks for whatever reason. I will just stay home. :smile: Hub has to fly to Vegas next week for annual USBank meeting. I will be glad when gets home.

Last edited:

Wishbone

I dont' fly anymore. I drive anywhere I want to go.

Between the ridiculous airfare swings, from so cheap you think "How the #### are they maintaining the plane at these prices", to the "HOLY ####! YOU WANT A KIDNEY TOO!" expensive, I didn't need the aggravation.

Hijinx

This guy was Doctor ,but he acted like a 12 year old spoiled brat.
Yes refuse. but when the cops come and give you a legal order----you gotta move
What else could the cop do? There wasn't a lot of room for others to help carry him off.

Glad I haven't got an appointment with this guy.

P.S. I f you are wondering why more people do not ride the train ---look up the price of riding that bad boy.

Clem72

I've never been offered chit the zillion times my plane has been canceled and left me stranded.

Yeah, funny business that. Every time I have had a plane cancelled it has been for "weather" related issues (convenient that they don't have to reimburse you for extra expenses when that is the case). It certainly had nothing to do with them being under-booked flights. Which they all have been.

If they bump you involuntarily or cancel your flight for convenience they owe you cash. It's the law.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I've never been offered chit the zillion times my plane has been canceled and left me stranded.

I couldn't begin to count the number of times I've been (well, all the people in the gate area waiting to board, not me specifically) offered "cash and prizes" to relinquish my seat on overbooked flights. I've almost never in a position to do so, however....I'm always flying to make a connecting flight to somewhere overseas...or the reverse.

Clem72

I couldn't begin to count the number of times I've been (well, all the people in the gate area waiting to board, not me specifically) offered "cash and prizes" to relinquish my seat on overbooked flights. I've almost never in a position to do so, however....I'm always flying to make a connecting flight to somewhere overseas...or the reverse.

Only once did I ever have the leisurely schedule to take advantage. Got a $600 voucher good for 6 months I think. Ended up expiring before I ever had a chance to use it.

I have heard them offer first class on the very next flight, which I would have loved to take if it fit my schedule.