Lawmakers Override Hogan's Veto of Protect Our Schools Act

newsBot

Automated News Bot
Staff member
This just in from the somd.com Headline News:

Title: Lawmakers Override Hogan's Veto of Protect Our Schools Act

Date: 04-10-2017 01:01 PM

Summary: Md. lawmakers voted Thursday to override Gov. Larry Hogan's veto of a bill that would specify which measures could be considered when determining a school's quality, prohibiting student testing from being one of them.

Click here for the full story...

Clem72

That article had a lot of quotes, and said a lot of things, and yet I don't think it gave any actual information other than test scored are not going to be part of the state ranking for schools. I think.

So, how does that "trap students in failing schools" as quoted? How does it help teachers unions (is their pay tied to test scores or school ranking)? This seems like a whole bunch of nada to me.

3CATSAILOR

Do bears Sh!t in the woods?

I love the name..." protect our schools"

It should of been...."Protect our Unions"

True, the main intent was to protect the Unions. But, the public school system, run by the "Unions," does a reasonable job with a fairly high graduation rates. Or, are the graduation rates skewed? Until someone produces evidence that can point to the Union run school system doing a bad job, we will continue with what we have.

glhs837

Power with Control
The Maryland State Board of Education and the Maryland State Department of Education have sided with the governor in opposition to this bill, according to the release.

advocates for the bill gathered at a rally to call for an override. Those present included representative from the Maryland State Education Association, the Maryland Parent Teacher Association and some lawmakers.

Yep, lines right up.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
True, the main intent was to protect the Unions. But, the public school system, run by the "Unions," does a reasonable job with a fairly high graduation rates. Or, are the graduation rates skewed? Until someone produces evidence that can point to the Union run school system doing a bad job, we will continue with what we have.

"The bill restricts the state's ability to intervene in failing schools, which opponents worry is intended to limit the creation of charter schools and voucher systems. "
The number one reason the Unions are against it. They don't want Charter Schools or Vouchers to compete with their Monopoly....