Crime rate in Mechanicsville

I mentioned to a co-worker that I am considering buying a house in Mechanicsville. He says, "Oh, you have to be careful of the crime there."

I find this odd, since a lot of the area is fairly rural. So I ask him what kinds of crime. And he says, "People just coming around, taking stuff."

Is this is thing in Mechanicsville, or any area in southern Maryland? People just randomly stealing things from random houses? In suburban areas, it makes more sense.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I mentioned to a co-worker that I am considering buying a house in Mechanicsville. He says, "Oh, you have to be careful of the crime there."

I find this odd, since a lot of the area is fairly rural. So I ask him what kinds of crime. And he says, "People just coming around, taking stuff."

Is this is thing in Mechanicsville, or any area in southern Maryland? People just randomly stealing things from random houses? In suburban areas, it makes more sense.
There are Amish folks living in Mech'ville. From what little I know about them; they aren't larcenous people. The "crime rate" in that area is likely other/non-Amish kids with nothing better to do, cuz they're "bored."

officeguy

The Mechanicsville post office covers a large swath across the SoMD peninsula. Any crime committed within that zip is reported as 'Mechanicsville'. It just seems that way because the zip code covers more people than let's say Ridge.

Now if something ever happens in Mount Victoria, I would start to worry (their post office has 12 mailboxes and no carrier).

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I would consider Mechanicsville to be a safe area. You're going to have random petty theft anywhere.

BlueOx77

The Mechanicsville post office covers a large swath across the SoMD peninsula. Any crime committed within that zip is reported as 'Mechanicsville'. It just seems that way because the zip code covers more people than let's say Ridge.

Now if something ever happens in Mount Victoria, I would start to worry (their post office has 12 mailboxes and no carrier).

That's right about the Mechanicsville ZIP code. It is huge. It runs from Sandgates up to Golden Beach over to Wicomico Shores and even over the Charles County line.