Sign of the times... trails rant

DannyMotorcycle

So decided to walk a local trail... enjoy the weather sunday..

WTF is up with these bicyclists not slowing down for families and kids?

One guy almost face planted himself while almost hitting a kid with disabilities.. hard on his brakes yelling
"can't stop!" as if he literally couldn't see the family he was approaching from at least half a mile away.
2 other children under the age of six were also present.. You don't have the capacity to realize that there is the potential for a child to not stay put or to freak out and jump trying to avoid you in the same place you chose as an escape route? just slow tf down and navigate the situation at a safe speed idiot.

I mean seriously.. are you racing for a prize or something? How much??

Slow the F*** down a**holes. Navigate safely around children..

There are some parents who will make sure you learn your lesson the hard way. They will not care if you're already effed up, you hit their kid, you'll probably be taking a second pounding. I wonder how a jury will take "i don't know, last thing i remember is a speeding ####### on a bike plowing into my child and i blacked out. I do not recall pummeling him at all". Just need one person on the jury who refuses to convict, with the mindset "i don't blame him, woulda done the same"

littlelady

God bless the USA
So decided to walk a local trail... enjoy the weather sunday..

WTF is up with these bicyclists not slowing down for families and kids?

One guy almost face planted himself while almost hitting a kid with disabilities.. hard on his brakes yelling
"can't stop!" as if he literally couldn't see the family he was approaching from at least half a mile away.
2 other children under the age of six were also present.. You don't have the capacity to realize that there is the potential for a child to not stay put or to freak out and jump trying to avoid you in the same place you chose as an escape route? just slow tf down and navigate the situation at a safe speed idiot.

I mean seriously.. are you racing for a prize or something? How much??

Slow the F*** down a**holes. Navigate safely around children..

There are some parents who will make sure you learn your lesson the hard way. They will not care if you're already effed up, you hit their kid, you'll probably be taking a second pounding. I wonder how a jury will take "i don't know, last thing i remember is a speeding ####### on a bike plowing into my child and i blacked out. I do not recall pummeling him at all". Just need one person on the jury who refuses to convict, with the mindset "i don't blame him, woulda done the same"

I like your rant. Funny, but not funny. My hub is an ultra runner and sees this stuff all the time. The thing I don't get is there are bike paths which are separate from trails. Oh, well. I don't get a lot of stuff because the Pollyanna in me refuses to see it, and just wants everyone to be happy. As far as your comment about little childs, they are unpredictable and can be in harms way in a second. My 14 month old granddot is a maniac. She is testing herself; twirls until she is dizzy and runs in to something, or covers her eyes to walk around, and climbs on everything. She has been walking since she was 8 months old, and now runs everywhere. As far as topic, I think bicyclists are road hogs, and think everyone should be watching out for them. They are wrong. Use the darn concrete bike paths/off lane on roads that taxpayers built for you! Trails are for walkin' and runnin'. :smile:

Last edited:

Potomac

are there paths in southern Maryland intended specifically for cycling? The paths I am familiar with are the Indian Head in Charles Co & Three Notch in St. Mary's. I believe both are intended for walking, cycling, pulling the kids in a wagon, walking the dog, etc. I agree everyone should be more considerate of others but I don't think paths in this area are intended for one use or the other. I am pleasantly surprised we have Three Notch at all

Jennalynn

St. Mary’s Lake trail is terrible! The cyclists come thru at top speed… often not saying anything at all before they fly by. With the up and down terrain, you can't always hear them coming as they crest the hills. Recently while walking my little dogs, a cyclist came speeding past me. My dogs were on their 6-foot leashes, and I tried to jerk them back… but I didn’t have time to pull them to me. My 5 year old yorkiepoo was within 3 feet of me when her leash was run over and she was grazed by the wheel. She yiped and rolled, and he never stopped. She was okay, but now when I walk them, I constantly look over my shoulder.

SamSpade

St. Mary’s Lake trail is terrible!

I've biked that trail although it was a long time ago - it's not like other trails wide enough for people to walk side by side, and many parts have hills that make it very hard for a cyclist to do otherwise.

If it's that popular - it needs to be widened. I've been the victim of cyclists on the path on Beach Drive in DC - because they were riding side by side rather than single file.
I can still feel the *crash*. They were stupid - but - there was room for people going both ways.

Clem72

The paths I am familiar with are the Indian Head in Charles Co & Three Notch in St. Mary's. I believe both are intended for walking, cycling, pulling the kids in a wagon, walking the dog, etc.

Don't forget rape, assault, and murder.

nobody really

I need a nap
I like your rant. Funny, but not funny. My hub is an ultra runner and sees this stuff all the time. The thing I don't get is there are bike paths which are separate from trails. Oh, well. I don't get a lot of stuff because the Pollyanna in me refuses to see it, and just wants everyone to be happy. As far as your comment about little childs, they are unpredictable and can be in harms way in a second. My 14 month old granddot is a maniac. She is testing herself; twirls until she is dizzy and runs in to something, or covers her eyes to walk around, and climbs on everything. She has been walking since she was 8 months old, and now runs everywhere. As far as topic, I think bicyclists are road hogs, and think everyone should be watching out for them. They are wrong. Use the darn concrete bike paths/off lane on roads that taxpayers built for you! Trails are for walkin' and runnin'. :smile:

stereotype much? f*cktard. Last I heard, those trails are for cyclists also.

Last edited:

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

[/B]stereotype much? f*cktard. Last I heard, those trails are for cyclists also.

Not in Calvert Cliffs State Park. Bicyclists are only allowed on the service road and absolutely no trails. At the start of every trail is a "no bicycles", and "no horses", sign.

Clem72

If I may ...

Not in Calvert Cliffs State Park. Bicyclists are only allowed on the service road and absolutely no trails. At the start of every trail is a "no bicycles", and "no horses", sign.

So unicycles and tricycles and ponies are all good.

nobody really

I need a nap
If I may ...

If I may.....

Who said anything about Calvert Cliffs State Park?

If I may....

Thought this thread was about three notch trail.

If I may....

f*cktard.

Kinnakeet

so decided to walk a local trail... Enjoy the weather sunday..

Wtf is up with these bicyclists not slowing down for families and kids?

One guy almost face planted himself while almost hitting a kid with disabilities.. Hard on his brakes yelling
2 other children under the age of six were also present.. You don't have the capacity to realize that there is the potential for a child to not stay put or to freak out and jump trying to avoid you in the same place you chose as an escape route? Just slow tf down and navigate the situation at a safe speed idiot.

I mean seriously.. Are you racing for a prize or something? How much??

Slow the f*** down a**holes. Navigate safely around children..

sounds like a stick thru the spokes to me:elaine: