Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 211

Thread: Trump on track to surpass all of Obama's travel costs in 2 years or less

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by awpitt View Post
    Oh, and I'm not a Trump hater but I will point out the hypocrisy when he demonstrates it. He did criticize the last guy over travel costs. He did say he'd rarely leave the White House. That has not been the case.
    Can you reconcile the differences in what costs are considered? The $100M in travel was for Obama family vacations. How much has Trump spent on vacations?
    It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
    Jiddu Krisnamurti

  2. #12
    Registered User
    Member Since
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,205
    Quote Originally Posted by This_person View Post
    I think that's comparing apples and oranges. Obama's travel costs as represented by the graphic are only for vacation. Meeting with world leaders is not generally considered a vacation, so the costs for Trump's travel should be treated as Obama's travel to do an apples to apples comparison. Lies, damned lies, and statistics (and all that).
    Remember when world leaders used to meet the President at the White House? We don't maintain that property for ####s and grins, it actually has a diplomatic function.

    No, we should definitely handle matters of state wherever the sitting president feels comfortable, and who cares about the cost or inconvenience to the locals.

    Why not just have Trump live at the Mar a Lago then? Or in Trump Tower? Make it official and turn the White House into a full-time museum and tourist attraction for the next 4 or 8 years so it can recoup some of the cost?

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Clem72 View Post
    Remember when world leaders used to meet the President at the White House? We don't maintain that property for ####s and grins, it actually has a diplomatic function.

    No, we should definitely handle matters of state wherever the sitting president feels comfortable, and who cares about the cost or inconvenience to the locals.

    Why not just have Trump live at the Mar a Lago then? Or in Trump Tower? Make it official and turn the White House into a full-time museum and tourist attraction for the next 4 or 8 years so it can recoup some of the cost?
    I remember world leaders meeting at the WH, Camp David, Kennebunkport, Texas, California, NYC.........I don't especially think it is a big deal.

    Now, that Trump said he wouldn't leave the WH and he does as often as not (phrase, not a quantitative comment), actually IS an issue. But, my point is that the issue should be discussed for what it is, because when knowingly inaccurate statements are used to report the facts, the lies are heard more than the facts.
    It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
    Jiddu Krisnamurti

  4. #14
    Main Streeter awpitt's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2002
    Location
    St. Mary's County
    Posts
    9,728
    Quote Originally Posted by This_person View Post
    Can you reconcile the differences in what costs are considered? The $100M in travel was for Obama family vacations. How much has Trump spent on vacations?
    Yes, Obama went on vacations. Trump goes on one every weekend. Yes, he conducts business while in FL as did Obama during his vacations.
    .
    .

    .

  5. #15
    Registered User
    Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Location
    not near PAX
    Posts
    2,500
    Quote Originally Posted by awpitt View Post
    Yes, Obama went on vacations. Trump goes on one every weekend. Yes, he conducts business while in FL as did Obama during his vacations.
    Obama's numbers did add up....
    "It's Official: President Obama Has Now Taken the Second Most Trips Abroad while in Office"

    http://www.ntu.org/foundation/detail...hile-in-office
    “WH press corps, it's tough to keep track of the precise number of asses on the premises” D. Gross

  6. #16
    Main Streeter awpitt's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2002
    Location
    St. Mary's County
    Posts
    9,728
    Quote Originally Posted by nutz View Post
    Obama's numbers did add up....
    "It's Official: President Obama Has Now Taken the Second Most Trips Abroad while in Office"

    http://www.ntu.org/foundation/detail...hile-in-office
    Interesting.

    Second in number of trips.
    Third in number of visits.
    Third in number of days.
    .
    .

    .

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by awpitt View Post
    Yes, Obama went on vacations. Trump goes on one every weekend. Yes, he conducts business while in FL as did Obama during his vacations.
    Can you tell me what world leaders Mr. Obama met in HI? How about Martha's Vineyard?

    If you add up the trips that actually were vacations, I believe you'll see a huge difference. If you just add up all travel, you'll see a huge difference. You're looking at Obama's vacation costs against all Trump travel - not so much an apples to apples comparison.
    It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
    Jiddu Krisnamurti

  8. #18
    INGSOC GURPS's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Peoples Republic Of Maryland
    Posts
    30,337
    Quote Originally Posted by This_person View Post
    Can you tell me what world leaders Mr. Obama met in HI? How about Martha's Vineyard?


    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

    “There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

  9. #19
    A lot of mental gymnastic going on in this thread to apologize for Trumps spending.

    It's sad to see so many people making excuses for him when he campaigned on reining in Government spending. This report also fails to include the cost of Melania's security.


    Trump made his 16th visit to a golf course last weekend. In direct conflict with his statements as a candidate:

    "“You know what — and I love golf — but if I were in the White House, I don’t think I’d ever see Turnberry [in Scotland] again. I don’t think I’d ever see Doral again — I own Doral, in Miami. I don’t think I’d ever see many of the places that I have,” Mr. Trump said last year. “I don’t ever think that I’d see anything. I just wanna stay in the White House and work my ass off, make great deals, right? Who’s gonna leave? I mean, who’s gonna leave?”

  10. #20
    Cost aside... Mar a Lago has become Trump's second White House. Every time he goes there he requires a setup that is the White House. I can't imagine the security nightmare this must create for the Secret Service. Did they set up some sort of SCIF there so he can hold classified briefings? I know folks are going to defend this, but for me personally, I expect the president to conduct business in the White House, not at his vacation home.
    "Never let the old man in." - Clint Eastwood quoting an old friend

Members who have read this thread: 68

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |