Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump on track to surpass all of Obama's travel costs in 2 years or less

Quote Originally Posted by This_person View Post
    Can you tell me what world leaders Mr. Obama met in HI? How about Martha's Vineyard?
    Well, for starters, the Japanese Prime-minister in HI. But that's not the point. There is plenty of regular business a president conducts while on vacation. All presidents have done this. Trump has just super sized it.

Quote Originally Posted by CalvertNewb View Post
    A lot of mental gymnastic going on in this thread to apologize for Trumps spending.

It's sad to see so many people making excuses for him when he campaigned on reining in Government spending. This report also fails to include the cost of Melania's security.

Trump made his 16th visit to a golf course last weekend. In direct conflict with his statements as a candidate:

"“You know what — and I love golf — but if I were in the White House, I don’t think I’d ever see Turnberry [in Scotland] again. I don’t think I’d ever see Doral again — I own Doral, in Miami. I don’t think I’d ever see many of the places that I have,” Mr. Trump said last year. “I don’t ever think that I’d see anything. I just wanna stay in the White House and work my ass off, make great deals, right? Who’s gonna leave? I mean, who’s gonna leave?”
    All publicly available reports negate security costs since that data is classified. Don't forget the children too.
    “WH press corps, it's tough to keep track of the precise number of asses on the premises” D. Gross

Can you reconcile the differences in what costs are considered? The $100M in travel was for Obama family vacations. How much has Trump spent on vacations?
    Yep,,,,, I could not give a $hit on his travel expenses as long as he is getting business done. And I believe he's getting business done.
    Proud to be a cereal comma user.

Quote Originally Posted by PsyOps View Post
    Cost aside... Mar a Lago has become Trump's second White House. Every time he goes there he requires a setup that is the White House. I can't imagine the security nightmare this must create for the Secret Service. Did they set up some sort of SCIF there so he can hold classified briefings? I know folks are going to defend this, but for me personally, I expect the president to conduct business in the White House, not at his vacation home.
    They've all done this, and it is far cheaper to have him go to his house than a new place all the time.

We agree, should be at the White House, but they've all done it differently. Teddy Roosevelt essentially made Yellowstone the White House, did he not? Lincoln had the house up in the hills where he did as much work as he did at the White House. Bush went to Texas. Reagan to California. I get that they have a vacation home in Camp David, but that's not the only place they go.
    It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
    Jiddu Krisnamurti

Quote Originally Posted by awpitt View Post
    Well, for starters, the Japanese Prime-minister in HI. But that's not the point. There is plenty of regular business a president conducts while on vacation. All presidents have done this. Trump has just super sized it.
    Ok, that's one time. Take it off the cost of the Obamas. Now, take off the trips with foreign leaders from Trump's total.

Or, if you believe they're equal things because the president is never technically on vacation, add on the rest of Trump and Obama's travel costs, because all you have are the Obama's vacations, but all of Trump's travel.
    Jiddu Krisnamurti

They've all done this, and it is far cheaper to have him go to his house than a new place all the time.

We agree, should be at the White House, but they've all done it differently. Teddy Roosevelt essentially made Yellowstone the White House, did he not? Lincoln had the house up in the hills where he did as much work as he did at the White House. Bush went to Texas. Reagan to California. I get that they have a vacation home in Camp David, but that's not the only place they go.
    I don't recall any recent president doing this sort of traveling every week. But I guess, because they all do it, it's justified.
    "Never let the old man in." - Clint Eastwood quoting an old friend

I don't recall any recent president doing this sort of traveling every week. But I guess, because they all do it, it's justified.
    Again, we agree it is too much. He said he wouldn't, and here he is doing it.

My argument is not that it is ok. My argument is that calling him to the carpet and saying, "you're spending more than Obama" by showing a small portion of Obama's travel costs and all of Trump's is a false argument, which leads to people not listening to what the REAL argument actually is.

He said he wouldn't, and he is. If they stuck with that as an argument, how can anyone credibly argue against it. When the argument becomes disingenuous or patently false, then there's an argument against it and the real problem gets lost.
    Jiddu Krisnamurti

Cost aside... Mar a Lago has become Trump's second White House. Every time he goes there he requires a setup that is the White House. I can't imagine the security nightmare this must create for the Secret Service. Did they set up some sort of SCIF there so he can hold classified briefings? I know folks are going to defend this, but for me personally, I expect the president to conduct business in the White House, not at his vacation home.
    They had to create a situation room at Mar-A-Lago for the Syrian missle strikes.
    Crybaby Cripplecrow Hanging on a Monkey's Toe Club

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn View Post
    They had to create a situation room at Mar-A-Lago for the Syrian missle strikes.
    I recall the secure facility at Bush's ranch, full of secure visual telecommunications gear and such, that he used during Katrina. I don't think they install that kind of stuff for hurricanes, I think he already had it. I'll bet you'll find one was installed in the Obama's house in Chicago, too. I imagine Biden had one out in Delaware, too.
    Jiddu Krisnamurti

Again, we agree it is too much. He said he wouldn't, and here he is doing it.

My argument is not that it is ok. My argument is that calling him to the carpet and saying, "you're spending more than Obama" by showing a small portion of Obama's travel costs and all of Trump's is a false argument, which leads to people not listening to what the REAL argument actually is.

He said he wouldn't, and he is. If they stuck with that as an argument, how can anyone credibly argue against it. When the argument becomes disingenuous or patently false, then there's an argument against it and the real problem gets lost.
    Wow...talk about mental gymnastics...how many sides of the same issue can you take in one post?

Members who have read this thread: 68