Trump on track to surpass all of Obama's travel costs in 2 years or less

awpitt

Main Streeter
Remember when candidate Trump promised he’d rarely leave theWhite House because there was so much work to do?

Remember when candidate Trump criticized Obamafor the costs of Obama’s travel habits?

Well, it looks like Trump is on track to break Obama’s eight-yeartravel cost record within the first two years of his term, if not sooner.

Donald Trump's travel to his private club in Florida has cost over an estimated $20 million in his first 80 days as president, putting the president on pace in his first year of office to surpass former President Barack Obama's spending on travel for his entire eight years. The outsized spending on travel stands in stark relief to Trump's calls for belt tightening across the federal government and the fact that he regularly criticized Obama for costing the American taxpayer money every time he took a trip.

Let the tap dancing and excuses begin…………………….

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/10/politics/donald-trump-obama-travel-costs/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmc...-as-obamas-cost-in-a-whole-year/#6929a18936e4

http://politicalwire.com/2017/04/08/trumps-travel-costs-much-obamas-two-years/

Attachments

• Trump_Travel-2.jpg
    Trump_Travel-2.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 511

This_person

Remember when candidate Trump promised he’d rarely leave theWhite House because there was so much work to do?

Remember when candidate Trump criticized Obamafor the costs of Obama’s travel habits?

Well, it looks like Trump is on track to break Obama’s eight-yeartravel cost record within the first two years of his term, if not sooner.

Let the tap dancing and excuses begin…………………….

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/10/politics/donald-trump-obama-travel-costs/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmc...-as-obamas-cost-in-a-whole-year/#6929a18936e4

http://politicalwire.com/2017/04/08/trumps-travel-costs-much-obamas-two-years/
I think that's comparing apples and oranges. Obama's travel costs as represented by the graphic are only for vacation. Meeting with world leaders is not generally considered a vacation, so the costs for Trump's travel should be treated as Obama's travel to do an apples to apples comparison. Lies, damned lies, and statistics (and all that).

Hijinx

Obama once flew Air Force One from Andrews to Norfolk.

A 3 hr. drive by car.

But WTH.Awpitt has a point ,and being the Trump hater he is he can stab us with it, and will.

He is right Trump is doing a lot of traveling down to Fla.
Hasn't gone to California to be on TV with a comedian yet though.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Obama once flew Air Force One from Andrews to Norfolk.

A 3 hr. drive by car.

But WTH.Awpitt has a point ,and being the Trump hater he is he can stab us with it, and will.

He is right Trump is doing a lot of traveling down to Fla.
Hasn't gone to California to be on TV with a comedian yet though.

...and Trump flew AF1 to Dover. Less than a 3 hr. drive by car.

awpitt

Main Streeter

Oh, and I'm not a Trump hater but I will point out the hypocrisy when he demonstrates it. He did criticize the last guy over travel costs. He did say he'd rarely leave the White House. That has not been the case.

This_person

Oh, and I'm not a Trump hater but I will point out the hypocrisy when he demonstrates it. He did criticize the last guy over travel costs. He did say he'd rarely leave the White House. That has not been the case.

Can you reconcile the differences in what costs are considered? The $100M in travel was for Obama family vacations. How much has Trump spent on vacations?

Clem72

I think that's comparing apples and oranges. Obama's travel costs as represented by the graphic are only for vacation. Meeting with world leaders is not generally considered a vacation, so the costs for Trump's travel should be treated as Obama's travel to do an apples to apples comparison. Lies, damned lies, and statistics (and all that).

Remember when world leaders used to meet the President at the White House? We don't maintain that property for ####s and grins, it actually has a diplomatic function.

No, we should definitely handle matters of state wherever the sitting president feels comfortable, and who cares about the cost or inconvenience to the locals.

Why not just have Trump live at the Mar a Lago then? Or in Trump Tower? Make it official and turn the White House into a full-time museum and tourist attraction for the next 4 or 8 years so it can recoup some of the cost?

This_person

Remember when world leaders used to meet the President at the White House? We don't maintain that property for ####s and grins, it actually has a diplomatic function.

No, we should definitely handle matters of state wherever the sitting president feels comfortable, and who cares about the cost or inconvenience to the locals.

Why not just have Trump live at the Mar a Lago then? Or in Trump Tower? Make it official and turn the White House into a full-time museum and tourist attraction for the next 4 or 8 years so it can recoup some of the cost?

I remember world leaders meeting at the WH, Camp David, Kennebunkport, Texas, California, NYC.........I don't especially think it is a big deal.

Now, that Trump said he wouldn't leave the WH and he does as often as not (phrase, not a quantitative comment), actually IS an issue. But, my point is that the issue should be discussed for what it is, because when knowingly inaccurate statements are used to report the facts, the lies are heard more than the facts.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Can you reconcile the differences in what costs are considered? The $100M in travel was for Obama family vacations. How much has Trump spent on vacations?

Yes, Obama went on vacations. Trump goes on one every weekend. Yes, he conducts business while in FL as did Obama during his vacations.

This_person

Yes, Obama went on vacations. Trump goes on one every weekend. Yes, he conducts business while in FL as did Obama during his vacations.

Can you tell me what world leaders Mr. Obama met in HI? How about Martha's Vineyard?

If you add up the trips that actually were vacations, I believe you'll see a huge difference. If you just add up all travel, you'll see a huge difference. You're looking at Obama's vacation costs against all Trump travel - not so much an apples to apples comparison.

CalvertNewb

A lot of mental gymnastic going on in this thread to apologize for Trumps spending.

It's sad to see so many people making excuses for him when he campaigned on reining in Government spending. This report also fails to include the cost of Melania's security.

Trump made his 16th visit to a golf course last weekend. In direct conflict with his statements as a candidate:

"“You know what — and I love golf — but if I were in the White House, I don’t think I’d ever see Turnberry [in Scotland] again. I don’t think I’d ever see Doral again — I own Doral, in Miami. I don’t think I’d ever see many of the places that I have,” Mr. Trump said last year. “I don’t ever think that I’d see anything. I just wanna stay in the White House and work my ass off, make great deals, right? Who’s gonna leave? I mean, who’s gonna leave?”

PsyOps

Pixelated
Cost aside... Mar a Lago has become Trump's second White House. Every time he goes there he requires a setup that is the White House. I can't imagine the security nightmare this must create for the Secret Service. Did they set up some sort of SCIF there so he can hold classified briefings? I know folks are going to defend this, but for me personally, I expect the president to conduct business in the White House, not at his vacation home.