Request for invention: Remote control smoke detector.

hitchicken

I've developed an obsession for air-fryer chicken fried steak. (I use to disparage air fryers... I was wrong.) Unfortunately, it sets off 2 of my smoke detectors (neither in the kitchen) every time. There is no visible smoke and only a slight frying odor in the air. Currently, I have to cover and uncover them with cheap plastic shower caps when I air fry. This is not only a dangerous practice, but I have to drag a stepladder out to do it. And I must remember to remove them afterwards.

I would like someone to invent a fire alert detector with a remote control. The remote could be wall-mounted near the detector(s) for easy access & convenience.

1. The remote would 'hush' the detector for pre-determined period of time (say 5 to 10 minutes) and then automatically rearm itself... sort of like snooze alarm.
2. The remote would have a 'test' button on it. It seems inconvenient to have a test button on a smoke detector that is mounted 8' or more on normal, high or vaulted ceilings like they currently offer. No wonder people rarely test their detector batteries.

You can keep the millions of dollars you will make for this invention I just want to be the first in line to get one when you manufacture it.

I buy a package of chicken fried steaks at Aldi. 20 min in the oven, no fuss, no mess, no smoke detectors.

Or take the air fryer to the garage or outside. Who says it has to stay in the kitchen?

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I've developed an obsession for air-fryer chicken fried steak. (I use to disparage air fryers... I was wrong.) Unfortunately, it sets off 2 of my smoke detectors (neither in the kitchen) every time. There is no visible smoke and only a slight frying odor in the air. Currently, I have to cover and uncover them with cheap plastic shower caps when I air fry. This is not only a dangerous practice, but I have to drag a stepladder out to do it. And I must remember to remove them afterwards.

I would like someone to invent a fire alert detector with a remote control. The remote could be wall-mounted near the detector(s) for easy access & convenience.

1. The remote would 'hush' the detector for pre-determined period of time (say 5 to 10 minutes) and then automatically rearm itself... sort of like snooze alarm.
2. The remote would have a 'test' button on it. It seems inconvenient to have a test button on a smoke detector that is mounted 8' or more on normal, high or vaulted ceilings like they currently offer. No wonder people rarely test their detector batteries.

You can keep the millions of dollars you will make for this invention I just want to be the first in line to get one when you manufacture it.

How do you like the air fryer concept? I've been looking at several models but wifey cannot decide if it will be worth it. I've heard pros and cons about them.

hitchicken

I buy a package of chicken fried steaks at Aldi. 20 min in the oven, no fuss, no mess, no smoke detectors.

Or take the air fryer to the garage or outside. Who says it has to stay in the kitchen?

Thanks, GW. That's an excellent suggestion. I will take the whole operation outside to my deck. As for oven 'baked' chicken fried steak, that's sacrilege.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I will take the whole operation outside to my deck. As for oven 'baked' chicken fried steak, that's sacrilege.
if you have space in your garage; detached or not; you can use your air fryer there; and/or an electric rotisserie also works well in that space; as long as there are no smoke detectors. At the very least, you won't have alarms going off inside the house.

hitchicken

How do you like the air fryer concept? I've been looking at several models but wifey cannot decide if it will be worth it. I've heard pros and cons about them.

Years ago, I scoffed at air fryers when I deep-fat-fried a serving of French fries in less than 1 tablespoon of oil Air fryers were claiming fried results with 1 tbs of oil. So I thought, 'what's the difference?' Turned out I was wrong. Anything coated with the standard of flour, egg, bread crumbs/corn meal/corn flakes soaked up oil like a sponge in a deep-fat-fryer.

'Air fryer' is just another name given to a convection oven on steroids. The air fryer takes convection cooking up a notch by confining the cooking space and a fan blowing hot air directly over the surface of the food. Hot air blown across the surface of meats, etc coated with bread crumbs and other coatings toasted the surface making it 'crispy'. If there was a coating of oil or fat on the surface of the food, the coating fried that surface giving it the characteristic 'crunch' obtained in a deep fat fryer.

Is it worth it? I paid $100 after all the shipping, discounts and taxes. The taste is different between fat fried & air fried. Some like it, some don't. The health differences are obvious which I am sure you will consider.

Clem72

I have had a nuwave convection for years and years, usually end up using it for frozen steaks. On a whim I bought the air fryer, but only used it a couple of times for frozen French fries (12 minutes at 400, didn't come out too crispy. Maybe needs more time), and frozen chicken tenders (8 minutes at 400, come out fairly good).

So, are these frozen chicken fried steaks or are you making from scratch? Whats the recipe?

Toxick

Splat

I think I can see how this can be done with a Raspberry Pi. Anyone know how to check the patent office to make sure it's not already a thing.

hitchicken

I have had a nuwave convection for years and years, usually end up using it for frozen steaks. On a whim I bought the air fryer, but only used it a couple of times for frozen French fries (12 minutes at 400, didn't come out too crispy. Maybe needs more time), and frozen chicken tenders (8 minutes at 400, come out fairly good).

So, are these frozen chicken fried steaks or are you making from scratch? Whats the recipe?

From scratch: You can buy cube steak. You can also buy any cut of round steak (top, bottom, eye of) and tenderize it yourself. I've use piercing tenderizers, meat mallet and even a cast-iron tortilla press. All work equally well. I've found the press less messy and faster is all. I try to reduce the meat to about 1/4" thickness.

Take your cube steak or pounded round and dip sequentially in flour, egg and seasoned bread crumbs. Shake off the excess in each step. I use Panko crumbs with garlic powder, cayenne pepper, black pepper & salt.

Straight into the air fryer basket and a quick spray of Pam. I do 400 degrees for 12 minutes. At the 6 min mark, turn the steaks and give another very brief spray of Pam. Easy on the Pam. Enjoy.

I was a lost soul wandering aimlessly and without purpose. Than I found chicken fried steaks. I am rejuvenated.

hitchicken

I think I can see how this can be done with a Raspberry Pi. Anyone know how to check the patent office to make sure it's not already a thing.

I'd suggest a Kickstarter project. If it's already 'a thing', they'll come out of the woodwork to stop you. Then go for a stint on 'Shark Tank'. You'll have my undying support until there is trouble.

Thanks, GW. That's an excellent suggestion. I will take the whole operation outside to my deck. As for oven 'baked' chicken fried steak, that's sacrilege.

I'm not just another pretty face... :drama:

I have this thing about frying inside. No matter how much you protect, there is splatter everywhere, I hate cleaning up and the smell of fried food lasts for days thru the whole house. The pre-made baked version is ok for a craving. Otherwise I head to Cracker Barrel. Theirs is pretty good.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Close friend of mine does patent and IP searches for a living. If you've got something tangible in mind, and don't mind risking me stealing it (muah ha h ahaa), you can shoot me a PM and I'll get you and email addy.

Chris0nllyn

No need to build anything, a simple bluetooth relay would work just fine. No one in their right mind would approve a patent or sell something that would bypass a smoke detector. That's asking for a lawsuit.

Wire the relay coil with 120V going to the smoke detector, then wire the relay output contacts to the smoke detector (there's a wiring diagram in the link). Then, when you know you're probably going to set the alarm off use bluetooth to remotely turn the detector off. Of course, you probably have a 9V battery backup which you'd have to remove that for it to really not work. Leaving the 9V battery always out of the detector will likely cause it to annoyingly beep.

http://www.canton-electronics.com/p...less-remote-controller-p-878.html?cPath=48_52

*Note that I do not condone bypassing a smoke detector and I am not responsible in any way for what you do with this info. Smoke detectors are meant for safety of the home and it would not be good to forget to turn it back on one day...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
True story; I was weed eating yesterday, making an ENORMOUS mess. It dawned on me I forget to bring the blower along to clean up afterwards. I actually thought 'someone ought to make a back up to blowers, something light, easy, non powered, maybe with a long handle on it and..."

:stupid:

Toxick

Splat
No need to build anything, a simple bluetooth relay would work just fine. No one in their right mind would approve a patent or sell something that would bypass a smoke detector. That's asking for a lawsuit.

What I was thinking wouldn't bypass the smoke detector. It would just be a "SHADDAP, I'M FRYING CHICKEN NUGGETS YA BASTID" button.

Smoke detectors are meant for safety of the home and it would not be good to forget to turn it back on one day...

You gotta build in a timer that kicks it back on automatically after a preset amount of time - say 5 or 10 minutes.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Nest is close to doing it already.. you can silence an alarm from your phone.. I'm sure it wouldn't take much more than a software update for the NEST to silence it for a given amount of time.

hitchicken

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

The Nest system & First Alert systems pointed out by Nutz & Bob do pretty much what I was looking for. Buy even part of this home control system is a little more expensive than I would like to spend. I appreciate all the Bing pictures from DKP as well, but after researching a lot of them individually, they didn't do the temporary silence & 'test' option on a remote like I was hoping for. Most were just hidden cams and stuff. Thanks anyway.

The GW 'Do it outside' suggestion works for me most of the time. The digital readout is a little hard to read, but it works. There are times when I really want to do airfrying inside though.

I think Larry is going to make a million on his invention of the combination string trimmer/grass blower yard tool. Sounds like a great idea to me. I have to check to see if they already make one.

Thanks to all. I'm considering all the suggestions.