Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Request for invention: Remote control smoke detector.

Quote Originally Posted by hitchicken View Post
    Thanks, GW. That's an excellent suggestion. I will take the whole operation outside to my deck. As for oven 'baked' chicken fried steak, that's sacrilege.
    I'm not just another pretty face...

I have this thing about frying inside. No matter how much you protect, there is splatter everywhere, I hate cleaning up and the smell of fried food lasts for days thru the whole house. The pre-made baked version is ok for a craving. Otherwise I head to Cracker Barrel. Theirs is pretty good.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxick View Post
    I think I can see how this can be done with a Raspberry Pi. Anyone know how to check the patent office to make sure it's not already a thing.
    Close friend of mine does patent and IP searches for a living. If you've got something tangible in mind, and don't mind risking me stealing it (muah ha h ahaa), you can shoot me a PM and I'll get you and email addy.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GWguy View Post
    I'm not just another pretty face...
    Nope.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

I think I can see how this can be done with a Raspberry Pi. Anyone know how to check the patent office to make sure it's not already a thing.
    Google....http://www.firstalert.com/site_conte...carbonmonoxide

https://nest.com/smoke-co-alarm/meet-nest-protect/
    Last edited by nutz; 04-12-2017 at 10:46 AM.
    “WH press corps, it's tough to keep track of the precise number of asses on the premises” D. Gross

No need to build anything, a simple bluetooth relay would work just fine. No one in their right mind would approve a patent or sell something that would bypass a smoke detector. That's asking for a lawsuit.

Wire the relay coil with 120V going to the smoke detector, then wire the relay output contacts to the smoke detector (there's a wiring diagram in the link). Then, when you know you're probably going to set the alarm off use bluetooth to remotely turn the detector off. Of course, you probably have a 9V battery backup which you'd have to remove that for it to really not work. Leaving the 9V battery always out of the detector will likely cause it to annoyingly beep.

http://www.canton-electronics.com/ph...ml?cPath=48_52

*Note that I do not condone bypassing a smoke detector and I am not responsible in any way for what you do with this info. Smoke detectors are meant for safety of the home and it would not be good to forget to turn it back on one day...
    Crybaby Cripplecrow Hanging on a Monkey's Toe Club

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn View Post
    No need to build anything.....
    Maybe not.....
    http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...D4914A9E8E13DF
    If all you are gonna do is give me grief about what I post DON'T READ IT Heh? Have a nice day :-D

True story; I was weed eating yesterday, making an ENORMOUS mess. It dawned on me I forget to bring the blower along to clean up afterwards. I actually thought 'someone ought to make a back up to blowers, something light, easy, non powered, maybe with a long handle on it and..."

ADHD; Interdisciplinary

No need to build anything, a simple bluetooth relay would work just fine. No one in their right mind would approve a patent or sell something that would bypass a smoke detector. That's asking for a lawsuit.
    What I was thinking wouldn't bypass the smoke detector. It would just be a "SHADDAP, I'M FRYING CHICKEN NUGGETS YA BASTID" button.

Smoke detectors are meant for safety of the home and it would not be good to forget to turn it back on one day...

You gotta build in a timer that kicks it back on automatically after a preset amount of time - say 5 or 10 minutes.
    I could be mistaken. Maybe it was another bald-headed jigsaw-puzzle-tattooed naked guy I saw.

Blog Entries
    Nest is close to doing it already.. you can silence an alarm from your phone.. I'm sure it wouldn't take much more than a software update for the NEST to silence it for a given amount of time.
    Nero played the fiddle, Obama danced the Tango.

Quote Originally Posted by BadGirl
    Bob is the bestest lookin and smartest man I've ever met.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

The Nest system & First Alert systems pointed out by Nutz & Bob do pretty much what I was looking for. Buy even part of this home control system is a little more expensive than I would like to spend. I appreciate all the Bing pictures from DKP as well, but after researching a lot of them individually, they didn't do the temporary silence & 'test' option on a remote like I was hoping for. Most were just hidden cams and stuff. Thanks anyway.

The GW 'Do it outside' suggestion works for me most of the time. The digital readout is a little hard to read, but it works. There are times when I really want to do airfrying inside though.

I think Larry is going to make a million on his invention of the combination string trimmer/grass blower yard tool. Sounds like a great idea to me. I have to check to see if they already make one.

Thanks to all. I'm considering all the suggestions.

Members who have read this thread: 50