Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Far Can You Drive Your Vehicle On Empty?

How Far Can You Drive Your Vehicle On Empty?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Donít take criticism from someone you wouldnít take advice from.

Quote Originally Posted by Misfit View Post
    Never attempted to find out. I rarely drive far enough for that particular "idiot light" to illuminate. I keep a wandering eye on the gauge; have never let it get close to empty.....intentionally.
    If all you are gonna do is give me grief about what I post DON'T READ IT Heh? Have a nice day :-D

I bet Amanda has...
    Donít take criticism from someone you wouldnít take advice from.

Lost one too many fuel pumps to driving on empty. I fill up now as soon as the idiot light hits.

On empty?

Zero. Unless it's down hill.
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

Quote Originally Posted by Misfit View Post
    I bet Amanda has...
    If all you are gonna do is give me grief about what I post DON'T READ IT Heh? Have a nice day :-D

Quote Originally Posted by Clem72 View Post
    Lost one too many fuel pumps to driving on empty. I fill up now as soon as the idiot light hits.

Anything newer than say the mid-90s is going to have a pump that stays immersed until the last half gallon, which where the "No SHIZZNIT!!!!! GET GAS NOW" second warning comes on. In my previous vehicles, the first has ben the light coming on and a single bong. The second warning is the fuel light starting to blink and a regular bong, like every minute. So as long as you gas up when the first light hits, you and your pump will be just fine.
    "I aim to misbehave."

Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    Anything newer than say the mid-90s is going to have a pump that stays immersed until the last half gallon, which where the "No SHIZZNIT!!!!! GET GAS NOW" second warning comes on. In my previous vehicles, the first has ben the light coming on and a single bong. The second warning is the fuel light starting to blink and a regular bong, like every minute. So as long as you gas up when the first light hits, you and your pump will be just fine.
    But, still, pumps work better with the weight and pressure of a fuller tank that they lose when it's lower, right? So, if so, it stands to reason that constantly running around with a quarter tank would wear the thing out sooner, yeah?
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    Your bong reference made me think of "Jill Taylor" when she tried to explain to Tim how she ran her car out of oil. Paraphrased: Tim: 'Didn't you see the warning light?' '.....that there might be something wrong?' Jill: 'Well, I figured it would get brighter, or there would be a buzzer.'

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post
    But, still, pumps work better with the weight and pressure of a fuller tank that they lose when it's lower, right? So, if so, it stands to reason that constantly running around with a quarter tank would wear the thing out sooner, yeah?

I don't think there's that much pressure difference in 8-10 inches of fluid, and most tanks are not much deeper than that. And as I said. most pumps, if not all, live in a can inside the tank. Here's a 1995 F-150 tank. The actual silver pump lives inside that tan canister, which holds about 1/2 gallon. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1995_ford_f150_cummins_diesel+fuel_tank_cutaway.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	118048

And a Porsche tank, Boxter maybe?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Porsche gas tank.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	118049
    "I aim to misbehave."

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.