How Far Can You Drive Your Vehicle On Empty?

Misfit

Lawful neutral
:dye:

Attachments

• 2017-04-11_14-41-59.jpg
    2017-04-11_14-41-59.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 436

Clem72

Lost one too many fuel pumps to driving on empty. I fill up now as soon as the idiot light hits.

glhs837

Power with Control
Lost one too many fuel pumps to driving on empty. I fill up now as soon as the idiot light hits.

Anything newer than say the mid-90s is going to have a pump that stays immersed until the last half gallon, which where the "No SHIZZNIT!!!!! GET GAS NOW" second warning comes on. In my previous vehicles, the first has ben the light coming on and a single bong. The second warning is the fuel light starting to blink and a regular bong, like every minute. So as long as you gas up when the first light hits, you and your pump will be just fine.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Anything newer than say the mid-90s is going to have a pump that stays immersed until the last half gallon, which where the "No SHIZZNIT!!!!! GET GAS NOW" second warning comes on. In my previous vehicles, the first has ben the light coming on and a single bong. The second warning is the fuel light starting to blink and a regular bong, like every minute. So as long as you gas up when the first light hits, you and your pump will be just fine.

But, still, pumps work better with the weight and pressure of a fuller tank that they lose when it's lower, right? So, if so, it stands to reason that constantly running around with a quarter tank would wear the thing out sooner, yeah?

DEEKAYPEE8569

Your bong reference made me think of "Jill Taylor" when she tried to explain to Tim how she ran her car out of oil. Paraphrased: Tim: 'Didn't you see the warning light?' '.....that there might be something wrong?' Jill: 'Well, I figured it would get brighter, or there would be a buzzer.'

glhs837

Power with Control
But, still, pumps work better with the weight and pressure of a fuller tank that they lose when it's lower, right? So, if so, it stands to reason that constantly running around with a quarter tank would wear the thing out sooner, yeah?

I don't think there's that much pressure difference in 8-10 inches of fluid, and most tanks are not much deeper than that. And as I said. most pumps, if not all, live in a can inside the tank. Here's a 1995 F-150 tank. The actual silver pump lives inside that tan canister, which holds about 1/2 gallon. 1995_ford_f150_cummins_diesel+fuel_tank_cutaway.jpg

And a Porsche tank, Boxter maybe?

Porsche gas tank.jpg