How price sensitive are you?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This Motel 6 was $60/night and looked good on their website. Pet friendly and right on the beach, microwave and mini fridge, so I figured why not. If you've read my other post, you know it turned out to be a #### hole nightmare ugh hate barf.

Our new place is $40 more per night, but much larger and cleaner, way more comfortable, also pet friendly and right on the beach.

Would that extra $40 have deterred you and you'd have sucked it up in crapland, or would you have considered that money well spent? It's only 3 nights, so the total price tag on my happiness was an extra $120.

I am a cheapo, and Monello is worse than me, but we also hate being unhappy. If it had been an extra $500, we'd have had to think about it (then moved anyway because I can't imagine spending 3 more nights in that horrible Motel 6). But $120 to make me happy? Heck yeah!

So just curious where you draw the line between frugality and comfort.

lovinmaryland

Vrai you gotta start Yelping and using TA for your hotels! I always go to the most recent Yelp reviews they seem to be the most helpful.

But yes it would be worth it for me to spend the $40 to be in a cleaner more comfortable room. I'd just pinch pennies some place else to try and off set the amount.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Vrai you gotta start Yelping and using TA for your hotels!

I ALWAYS use TA before I book somewhere. Their reviewers gave it 3 1/2 stars. Some said it sucked, some said it was great, some said it was fine. The ones who liked it must have tragically low standards.

I gave this motel a 2 and the only reason it didn't get a 1 is because it's pet friendly and across from the beach.

terbear1225

A lot would depend on how long I"m staying and how broke I am at the time. I've stayed in some crap motels while driving cross country. They were fine for the less than 12 hours I was stopping but for anything longer would have been a no go.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
This Motel 6 was $60/night and looked good on their website. Pet friendly and right on the beach, microwave and mini fridge, so I figured why not. If you've read my other post, you know it turned out to be a #### hole nightmare ugh hate barf.

Our new place is $40 more per night, but much larger and cleaner, way more comfortable, also pet friendly and right on the beach.

Would that extra $40 have deterred you and you'd have sucked it up in crapland, or would you have considered that money well spent? It's only 3 nights, so the total price tag on my happiness was an extra $120.

I am a cheapo, and Monello is worse than me, but we also hate being unhappy. If it had been an extra $500, we'd have had to think about it (then moved anyway because I can't imagine spending 3 more nights in that horrible Motel 6). But $120 to make me happy? Heck yeah!

So just curious where you draw the line between frugality and comfort.

I am also a cheapo, but an extra $40 a night would be totally fine by me to save my sanity. I cannot sleep if there is a bug in the room. I have a complete anxiety attack meltdown if I see ONE roach.

This happened to me when I visited you all in Sarasota. I had thoroughly researched the place, spoke to them in person, read all the reviews (with an open mind...because I know they are not always accurate, or fair). It was a cute little motel-like place which had been an Extended Stay type of place - undwr brand new management. Not a chain. Well, it was very "beach bungalow" looking, completely tiled floors and most rooms were already renovated, although some were still in phases of remodel. I had a beautful room my first 2 nights, but on my return after visiting my nieces, I had a very nice, clean looking room BUT a live roach crawling on the floor as I entered the room. :jameo: :cds:

The management sprayed right away after I called (I was not hysterical, but I was very specific and told them I was having a big problem about the bug!) AND changed my room the next day AND refunded me a 1/3 of the nightly rate. So, I was happy. :yay:

Yeah, I don't think you have to spend top dollar, and/or do I need top of the line ameniities, but clean and bug free should be expected.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
A lot would depend on how long I"m staying and how broke I am at the time. I've stayed in some crap motels while driving cross country. They were fine for the less than 12 hours I was stopping but for anything longer would have been a no go.

If this had been a one and done - overnight on the way to somewhere else - it would have been adequate. For 4 nights....no. (Monello said the bed reminded him of boot camp. :lol: )

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Tom says they will "Leave the light on for ya'"

He never says they'll clean the sheets for ya', clean the carpets for ya', or clean the bathroom for ya'

...or clean the broken bottles out of their parking lot for ya, or empty the trash outside the entrance for ya, or...

SamSpade

If it's just me - or it's me and another GUY, who cares. I'm just planning to sleep there.

If it's me and the wife - or especially the wife and kids - I'll certainly upgrade. I can sleep in a hurricane, but I can't endure kids who can't sleep.

BTW - the weekend I was to propose to my wife, I booked a place online near Chincoteague (if you've never been, I still love the place).
I had the ring in my pocket and we checked in and - well, it was at LEAST as bad as your Motel 6. Crappy parking lot, window out to weeds six feet high,
ripped comforter, peeling wallpaper, STUNK of cleaning fluid and the phone was jerry-rigged with wires.

And that was the good part. Soon to be fiance looked at me and said "I will ALWAYS remember this as the worst weekend of my life".
Knowing what I was planning - I was *determined* that wouldn't happen.

Drove over to the island and asked around and everything was booked. Pulled into one place and they said they had JUST ONE room left,
for 200 a night. I gulped a little because THEN that was way more than I could afford, so I said ---- yes.
While they were putting in the information, I told the desk clerk about our previous place and how I was planning to propose.
She smiled and said "In THAT case - we can let you have the Presidential suite - same price - but just one night. Our treat".

Clem72

Tom says they will "Leave the light on for ya'"

He never says they'll clean the sheets for ya', clean the carpets for ya', or clean the bathroom for ya'

I must have missed the original thread. I can put up with a lot if I'm traveling on the cheap, but clean sheets are a must (and the room not smelling like cigarette smoke).

I one stayed in an Extended Stay where they told me the only room available was just cleaned after they found a guy had died in there (and apparently had been left for several days). It wasn't bad.

SamSpade

How nice!

So I'm guessing your weekend started looking up?

Oh yeah - and until the kids came along, we went back to that place every year. They congratulated us on the marquis outside.

When we stepped into the suite, we just - laughed. I swear, the FOYER to the suite was almost as big as the room we left.
It had a nice jacuzzi, fireplace, great water view, HUGE bathroom. We had hoped to revisit THAT room later, but it came minimum 500 a night.

One of the most fun weekends I've ever had - and to no surprise - wife KNEW I was going to ask.