It's Racist To Expect People To Be ON TIME

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Apparently It's Now Racist To Expect People To Show Up On Time

According to diversity training materials being disseminated at publicly-funded Clemson University, expecting people from other cultures to show up on time is racist.

Yup, racist.

The university spent nearly $27,000 on diversity training materials from a company called Workplace Answers. Those materials were graciously intended for employees of the school in order to indoctrinate them.

I mean, for them to learn from.

One of the online slides depicted two groups, which included foreign professors and students, showing up to a scheduled event at 9 a.m.; one group came 15 minutes early and the other came 10 minutes late. The slide made the assertion that it would not be the inclusive thing to do to chastise the group that was late, since people must "recognize cultural differences that may impact the meeting and adjust accordingly.”

[clip]

In other words, some foreigners are incapable of being on time and Americans need to shut up and accept it in the name of diversity, or something. Of course, such low expectations of those from other cultures is truly infantilizing stuff, but this is how the Left views any minority group.

SamSpade

This is first rate stupid. All of my life I have known born and raised here AMERICANS who cannot seem to arrive on time. One such person is my very best friend - both he and his wife are so classically late in the more than twenty years I have known them, I *plan* for it. I will arrive early and do something I need to do - tell them a different time - whatever. I know they will always be late.

I have known people from various cultures not widely known for promptness - and I am sorry how that sounds, but in some parts of the world, 5pm means - sort of around 5, just as vague as you might feel if someone expected you to arrive at 5pm on the exact second of the clock. I have been in cultures where meetings start when most of the people show up. WE live in a culture where in some settings, a lack of promptness is extremely rude - in others, not bringing a gift, eating with your left hand, sitting cross-legged or not taking off your shoes might as well be farting in their face.

When I was in graduate school - MOST of my fellow students were Chinese. I would often invite them to social occasions, and many would accept - and then never show up. I learned later it depended heavily on how and where I asked - they would always accept in public in front of others even if they had no intention of coming, because in their mind, it was polite and respectful - and since I "knew" that, I shouldn't plan for them.

But when I go abroad and LEARN their culture - I then have no excuse. In a culture where showing the bottom of your shoes is the equivalent of mooning someone - you don't prop your feet in the desk. In a culture where the thumbs up sign means up your ass or the ok sign means #######, you learn NOT to do it. If the left hand is taboo, you learn to keep it in your pocket, especially if like me, you're left-handed.

In short - you go to a country - YOU adapt. Not their whole country.

And - it works both ways. You come here - YOU adapt. Maybe in China you accept a party invitation because you think I will save face - but I am spending my own money on food, and if most people DON'T show up, I won't save face - I will be embarrassed. Same goes for other cultures that presume it's ok to invite your friends whom I don't know - they were not invited, and I only planned for a dozen.

In all these things - it's not "racism". That word gets far too overused. Most of the time, it's just misunderstanding. I don't know what words are culturally insensitive most of the time. Unless I grew up in your culture, I am going to make mistakes. If showing up early is offensive to you, you'll have to understand my mistake, I showed up early out of respect, possibly even to help you. I've only ever known a handful of people who are deliberately, unapologetically racist. Most of the time they have no idea and are trying to be nice.

So I tell latecomers - if they will listen - please come on time. My Dad taught me - and I agree with it - routinely coming late means you think you're more important than everyone else here. (Or - not at all important, and I wouldn't have asked if that were true). Coming late all the time is disrespectful to ME. If you can't be here on time, you won't be asked back.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
This has nothing to do with foreigners.

[h=1]That Time Bill de Blasio and Hillary Clinton Made a ‘Colored People Time’ Joke[/h]
Clinton says, “Thanks for the endorsement, Bill. Took you long enough,” followed by an off-camera “Oh snap” from Odom. So far, so good — this bit is actually working. But now it’s Bill’s turn to deliver some comedy gold. I was running on CP

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/04/on-de-blasio-and-clintons-cp-time-joke.html

SamSpade

Tried to convey that to my Ex for years.

The few people I make concessions on for this are: my best friend and his wife - and my mom.

Both his wife and my mom are under the impression that you can drive anywhere locally - wherever you live - in ten to fifteen minutes.
They're continually BAFFLED by the daily evidence of their lives proving that as false.

I can tell them "ten minutes? You won't be out of the DRIVEWAY in five!".
It will take you three or four minutes just to park the car.
You'll waste at least that much time stopping, waiting and restarting at traffic lights and stop signs.

Good rule of thumb - short trips? Double your estimate.
Long trips? Add 50%.

Hijinx

What the big deal coming late for a party.
The coming in late deal comes when you work shift work and the a-hole deliberately or accidentally comes in late.
Here you are pooped from a rough shift and you cannot leave until your relief gets there.

Not only that but some people even come in early to be polite or just to be nice knowing how bad a night shift can be, and then they get screwed by some a-hole that comes in late. It doesn't take long when this happens when paybacks are hell and you start relieving the a-hole the way he relieves you.
It doesn't make for a pleasant work environment./