The South will rise again!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What does that even mean? We went to Beauvoir, Jefferson Davis' retirement home and presidential library, and when I posted about it on FB one of my friends said "The South shall rise again!" I didn't question him because I know he meant it as a tossaway comment - he is not southern in any way, unless you count southern PG County.

But you hear that - the south will rise again, the south's gonna do it again...do what? :confused:

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
What does that even mean? We went to Beauvoir, Jefferson Davis' retirement home and presidential library, and when I posted about it on FB one of my friends said "The South shall rise again!" I didn't question him because I know he meant it as a tossaway comment - he is not southern in any way, unless you count southern PG County.

But you hear that - the south will rise again, the south's gonna do it again...do what? :confused:

The South has a lot if Class and Culture. It will never rise again with the grandeur of the old South. There is nothing wrong to a little clinging to the way things were.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Rise. The South shall RISE again.

What you meant to ask, I think, is what 'rising' means.

Short version is what is thought of as the antebellum (Latin for 'before the war') period. They way things were before the Civil War. Plantation economy, slow and easy pace of life, genteelism, mannerly, respectful, intense self identification with ones state, reverence for the old folks who gallantly took their independence and built the land. What had to be fit in there as well is slavery and white, Christian supremacy which comes directly from the bible. It was the backbone of the order of Southern society. What also has to be fit in there is the fierce pride of that world that was also based on a massive insecurity that it was wrong yet could NOT be spoken of that amounted to a preference to lose it all and die rather than change.

Most folks who say 'the South will rise again!' are only thinking of the good parts, conveniently leaving out the rest. The sincere ones at least do themselves the honor of meaning the whole nine yards.

Trump appealed directly to the innate attraction many people have to, in some degree or other, fondly recall 'the good old days' while simultaneously forgetting the bad parts. It's a nostalgic sentiment that is understandable in that folks whom it appeals to are recalling when the world made sense to them. Right now, 'progressives' are angrily acting this out, longing for the 'good old days' and thinking the D's will rise again, in their turn conveniently forgetting all the bad parts of the past. Proving, once again, how much more we are all alike than different.

officeguy

What percentage of Southerners do you suppose owned slaves? :popcorn:

You answered it in your last post already:

Most folks who say 'the South will rise again!' are only thinking of the good parts, conveniently leaving out the rest. The sincere ones at least do themselves the honor of meaning the whole nine yards.

Most folks who mindlessly recite this phrase dont realize that the old south was a pretty ####ty place for anyone but the tiny sliver of society who were slave-owners and able to live a posh life on the backs of others. White farmers and tradespeople who couldn't rely on the work of slaves had a hard life, not any nicer or more 'genteel' than that of a factory worker in New England or a farmer on the frontier. The folks who say this would like to have a life of leisure with others doing hard labor on their behalf, and that is what they consider to be 'the south' that they want to 'rise' again.

Last edited:

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
To be sure... ANYONE living in that era that had to work for a living had a pretty ####ty life regardless of being in the south, north, out west or really... Anywhere.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
To be sure... ANYONE living in that era that had to work for a living had a pretty ####ty life regardless of being in the south, north, out west or really... Anywhere.

That's not so. 1860 America was not a bad place compared to most, if not all, of the rest of the world. The VAST majority of people lived on farms in large families and shared the work load. Ambitious men could fight their way for more. Men had shops. You worked for yourself in many cases. People were generally good natured. None of the abuses and excess's of the coming industrial age were in evidence yet. Slavery was nothing like that of WWII where you were barely kept alive. You were property, like any farm animal and expensive and in need of upkeep to get good service from. Hell, the worst person to be in 1860's America was an Irish immigrant.

officeguy

That's not so. 1860 America was not a bad place compared to most, if not all, of the rest of the world. The VAST majority of people lived on farms in large families and shared the work load. Ambitious men could fight their way for more. Men had shops. You worked for yourself in many cases. People were generally good natured. None of the abuses and excess's of the coming industrial age were in evidence yet. Slavery was nothing like that of WWII where you were barely kept alive. You were property, like any farm animal and expensive and in need of upkeep to get good service from. Hell, the worst person to be in 1860's America was an Irish immigrant.

Tell us more about the joys of being a slave. Really, cool story bro.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Wait. Maybe you have no clue what a farm animals life is like? Do you think it would be kewl to be hooked to a harness, slapped in the ass all day to pull a plough? Or carriage? Or live in a sty? What do you suppose the life of a farm animal was, is, like? Sound joyous to you?

Larry Gude

Strung Out

As you don't seem to really know much of anything about the era or farms, here's some more news for you; when plantation owners had ditches and trenches to be cleaned and cleared, they very often hired immigrants, quite often Irish, to do the ####ty, filthy,, dangerous (snakes and disease) job of clearing because their slaves were too valuable.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Yeah Larry... because working 14-16 hours a day in a factory, mill, farm or service business, for just enough to money for a family to survive on was such a luxurious life.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Yeah Larry... because working 14-16 hours a day in a factory, mill, farm or service business, for just enough to money for a family to survive on was such a luxurious life.

I'm guessing you missed this part?

I mean, I directly quoted you and this response to you. You're describing the post war industrial age.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Longer hours than that some days. Speaking as someone who grew up on a farm..... we never had much money but we sure did live well. My Alabama ancestors did the same....and some died in the war too.

Restitution

That's not so. 1860 America was not a bad place compared to most, if not all, of the rest of the world..

Wait. Maybe you have no clue what a farm animals life is like?

As you don't seem to really know much of anything about the era or farms, here's some more news for you...

I can only imagine how hard life was like for you on the plantation Larry. Because, of course.... you actually experienced that first hand right?

Please.... do share some of your stories with us about the tough times on the plantation in the 1800's. We will wait :tap:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I can only imagine how hard life was like for you on the plantation Larry. Because, of course.... you actually experienced that first hand right?

Please.... do share some of your stories with us about the tough times on the plantation in the 1800's. We will wait :tap:

What's you name, #### tard? Huh? I am so sick of you sniffing my ass hole, endlessly. What's your ####ing problem, mother ####er? Let's meet up and settle this. Let Either let's have a little get together and be done with this, find out why you have such a desire for the sniff of my ass or just go the #### away and leave me the #### alone, you ####ing idiot. I can't help it if you're too ####ing stupid for books and comprehension. It's not my problem or my fault. So, who are you, ass hole? What's your ####ing name you worthless keyboard ####ing coward? I #### on you, take something from you? What's you're ####ing problem?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Heck, Larry was born in a one-room log cabin that he built with his bare hands and a pen knife.

Oh..wait...that was Al Gore...