Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another accident 14 april 2017

Another accident 14 april 2017

April 14, 2017, 12:20 p.m.- A serious motor vehicle accident has been reported in Lexington Park, MD at Pegg Road and the area of Midway Drive. Reports say one vehicle is overturned with a possible entrapment.

I understand some folks believe this is connected by texting. I am not sure what, if any evidence they have to support their theory. There is no proof this was caused by texting. However, the volume of accidents, at least in my own opinion, do seem to be increasing.

Quote Originally Posted by 3CATSAILOR View Post
    April 14, 2017, 12:20 p.m.- A serious motor vehicle accident has been reported in Lexington Park, MD at Pegg Road and the area of Midway Drive. Reports say one vehicle is overturned with a possible entrapment.

I understand some folks believe this is connected by texting. I am not sure what, if any evidence they have to support their theory. There is no proof this was caused by texting. However, the volume of accidents, at least in my own opinion, do seem to be increasing.
    The texting/phone thing does seem to be the consensus these days. But, I think there are many other factors such as road rage, the need to get somewhere fast, the blocking of crossovers by big vehicles, medical issues, drugs, alcohol, complacency, and more. When I first got to drive (I am 62), it was 'driven' into my head by my parents and drivers ed that we are operating something that weighs thousands of pounds that can do huge damage. I respect that info. Just a side note. I have never gotten a ticket or been in an accident that was my fault. And, no my hair isn't blue. If I am going to die, I choose it not be by vehicle. And, if all remains the same, I want on my tombstone...she never got a ticket. State Farm loves me!
    Last edited by littlelady; 04-15-2017 at 01:11 AM. Reason: wanted to add to post
    Like I said, JMO, yo! - Roman

I am going to add more. When I lived in Darnestown, I was going up 118 to Germantown (118 is a windy, wooded road). I rounded a curve, and a cop car was coming straight toward with his siren lights on (as in head on), and I had the grips to pretty much put my car in the ditch. The thing that was disturbing is that he didn't stop, but kept going. The other thing that sticks in my mind, as far as accidents, is this story on Baynet from 2006. Be careful out there, y'all.

http://www.thebaynet.com/articles/04...nt-killed.html
    Last edited by littlelady; 04-15-2017 at 02:03 AM.
    Like I said, JMO, yo! - Roman

Quote Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    The texting/phone thing does seem to be the consensus these days. But, I think
    Maybe you should do a little research before you do that (think that is)? Did you ever "think" that might be wise??
    Each day in the United States, over 8 people are killed and 1,161 injured in crashes that are reported to involve a distracted driver
    Distracted driving activities include things like using a cell phone, texting, and eating. Using in-vehicle technologies (such as navigation systems) can also be sources of distraction. While any of these distractions can endanger the driver and others, texting while driving is especially dangerous because it combines all three types of distraction

How big is the problem?

Deaths
    •In 2013, 3,154 people were killed in crashes involving a distracted driver, compared to 3,328 in 2012.1,4

Injuries
    •In 2013, 424,000 people were injured in motor vehicle crashes involving a distracted driver, an almost 10% increase since 2011.1
    •In 2013, nearly one in five crashes (18%) in which someone was injured involved distracted driving.1
    https://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafe...ing/index.html

Here are some more stats...this one is in picture form...it might suit your intelligence level better. http://www.textinganddrivingsafety.c...-driving-stats

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyjo View Post
    ..it might suit your intelligence level better.
    Good morning, sunshine! Put bile on your corn flakes again this morning, I see....
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    The texting/phone thing does seem to be the consensus these days. But, I think there are many other factors such as road rage, the need to get somewhere fast, the blocking of crossovers by big vehicles, medical issues, drugs, alcohol, complacency, and more. When I first got to drive (I am 62), it was 'driven' into my head by my parents and drivers ed that we are operating something that weighs thousands of pounds that can do huge damage. I respect that info. Just a side note. I have never gotten a ticket or been in an accident that was my fault. And, no my hair isn't blue. If I am going to die, I choose it not be by vehicle. And, if all remains the same, I want on my tombstone...she never got a ticket. State Farm loves me!
    I learned to drive when there used to be drivers education in the schools. A retired MSP Trooper taught me that you drive defensively as if everyone is out to get you. Over the years I learned in some cases he was right.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyjo View Post
    Maybe you should do a little research before you do that (think that is)? Did you ever "think" that might be wise??

https://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafe...ing/index.html

Here are some more stats...this one is in picture form...it might suit your intelligence level better. http://www.textinganddrivingsafety.c...-driving-stats
    Interesting. But what are the stats for this locally?

Quote Originally Posted by 3CATSAILOR View Post
    I learned to drive when there used to be drivers education in the schools. A retired MSP Trooper taught me that you drive defensively as if everyone is out to get you. Over the years I learned in some cases he was right.
    I agree with the retired MSP trooper.....you must be on the defense at all times while driving
    Its a shame youth is wasted on young people

Quote Originally Posted by ginwoman View Post
    I agree with the retired MSP trooper.....you must be on the defense at all times while driving
    Speeding, tailgating, just general not paying attention like your the only one on the road, no regard for others. Yesterday on 4 in heavy traffic I was beside a huge SUV that was right on the rear of a Harley. It was making me nervous for the guy on the bike. It was ridiculous how close the SUV was. Going thru Callaway last week, another one on my ass all the way down 5. It was doing 60. Finally passed me on the SHOULDER and flew down the road. Had to be doing at least 75.

Quote Originally Posted by mitzi View Post
    Speeding, tailgating, just general not paying attention like your the only one on the road, no regard for others. Yesterday on 4 in heavy traffic I was beside a huge SUV that was right on the rear of a Harley. It was making me nervous for the guy on the bike. It was ridiculous how close the SUV was. Going thru Callaway last week, another one on my ass all the way down 5. It was doing 60. Finally passed me on the SHOULDER and flew down the road. Had to be doing at least 75.
    Well, the local constabulary can't be everywhere; I get that. Let 'em speed. Evolution will eventually prevail.
    If all you are gonna do is give me grief about what I post DON'T READ IT Heh? Have a nice day :-D

Members who have read this thread: 107