Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Double Fatal Motor Vehicle Collision in Hughesville Saturday

I feel bad for the 13 year old kid who got hurt, the bystanders who had to watch/hear this and the firefighters who had to confirm the 'two priority 4s' after the flames were out.

Quote Originally Posted by officeguy View Post
    I feel bad for the 13 year old kid who got hurt, the bystanders who had to watch/hear this and the firefighters who had to confirm the 'two priority 4s' after the flames were out.
    We all feel bad. Who wants to hear of these accidents, much less be involved. I thank my blessings every day, even though I have obstacles, but I don't take them on the road. But, good grief, how do you avoid someone rear ending you? You can't. Prayers to the families involved.
    ​​Like I said. JMO, yo! - Roman
    If you ignore the trolls, they starve. - Wishbone

Quote Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I don't think traffic enforcement could have prevented this accident. It is like saying law enforcement is responsible for accidents. They do the best they can, and I applaud them. They want to make a difference in the community, but can't keep up; and they, certainly, don't get paid enough for putting their life on the line. Why would law enforcement be blamed for citizen stupidity? Just wondering. JMO.
    Not blamed, this is not their fault. The point is that if we took some of the hours that are spent running speed enforcement on Saturday and Sunday mornings on Rt 235, and instead dedicated those hours to enforcing things that contribute more to crashes, then deterrence might have an effect. Officers perform the enforcement they are told to perform. And since one of the metrics is numbers of citations given, those activities that generate citations get precedence. Another factor is that speed enforcement gets the officers heads into a lot of cars. And the more cars they stick their heads into, the more chances of catching a real bad guy.
    "I aim to misbehave."

Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    Another factor is that speed enforcement gets the officers heads into a lot of cars. And the more cars they stick their heads into, the more chances of catching a real bad guy.
    For the most part they 'detect the odor of burnt marijuana' and pinch one more doofus for carrying more than 10gram of the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    But, good grief, how do you avoid someone rear ending you? You can't.
    Yes you can, you have to aware of all your surroundings, not just those in front of you.
    "I aim to misbehave."

Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    Yes you can, you have to aware of all your surroundings, not just those in front of you.
    But.....but.....being aware of your surroundings doesn't prevent some a**hole who isn't paying attention; who is probably texting-while-driving; from ramming you in the a**end while you're stopped in traffic at a red light; or stopped in traffic behind someone turning onto a side road.

Vehicle traffic varies in speed; even stops. Awareness of one's surroundings becomes the responsibility of the oncoming drivers behind you when you are stopped on the road; be it at a stop sign/light, or waiting for vehicles in front of you to turn.

The advent of texting; and not eliminating that capability while driving when the technology was introduced, is what causes rear-end accidents these days; more often than not. "Oh, I have a text, I better read it now." Texts received while you're driving can wait folks!

The kid that hit Dad and me in front of Walden/Sierra a few years ago; while we were stopped, waiting for a vehicle in front of us to turn, never even slowed down. Disappointingly, whether or not he was TWD was never established. Sorry.....got carried away.
    Last edited by DEEKAYPEE8569; 04-17-2017 at 10:08 AM.
    If all you are gonna do is give me grief about what I post DON'T READ IT Heh? Have a nice day :-D

Quote Originally Posted by DEEKAYPEE8569 View Post
    But.....but.....being aware of your surroundings doesn't prevent some a**hole who isn't paying attention; who is probably texting-while-driving; from ramming you in the a**end while you're stopped in traffic at a red light; or stopped in traffic behind someone turning onto a side road.

Vehicle traffic varies in speed; even stops. Awareness of one's surroundings becomes the responsibility of the oncoming drivers behind you when you are stopped on the road; be it at a stop sign/light, or waiting for vehicles in front of you to turn.

The advent of texting; and not eliminating that capability while driving when the technology was introduced, is what causes rear-end accidents these days; more often than not. "Oh, I have a text, I better read it now." Texts received while you're driving can wait folks!
    Sorry.....got carried away.
    No, you have a point. Unless you are even more crazy paranoid than I am, sometimes you are in a stopped position with nowhere to go. But that does not appear to be the case here.

a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee was traveling northbound on Leonardtown Road north of Cracklingtown Road in lane #1
    And yes, its the others drivers job to not crash into your rear. If they do, you are in the right....... but I would rather not be the right one in a crash. I would rather NOT be in the crash at all. Maybe it's the rider in me, where all the ROW in the world cant bring you back to life, it only makes my wifes payout check larger.....
    "I aim to misbehave."

If there is someone behind me that is giving me concern, following too close, distracted, etc... I let them pass. I'd much rather have them in front of me where I can evade them more easily.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Quote Originally Posted by 3CATSAILOR View Post
    Very horrific. And another indication that we need more traffic enforcement.
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

“There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

And if a statue can oppress you, then I submit that you have greater issues. - A West.

Yes I'm an MPD, But who's So_what's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3CATSAILOR View Post
    Very horrific. And another indication that we need more traffic enforcement.
    How about more personal responsibility , don't drink and drive, text while driving etc.
    Chicago is famous for pizza and corrupt politicians.
    Obama isn't a pizza

Members who have read this thread: 1