Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Retailers are going bankrupt at a staggering rate

Quote Originally Posted by frequentflier View Post
    Try being a small fry Mom and Pop retail store...we will all be a thing of the past if the internet shopping trend continues.
    The only thing I shop on line for is 18" mattress sheets for a California King bed. They are hard to find. For everything else, I shop locally. I hope you stay in business. I live in another county now; otherwise, I would shop in your store. Actually, I have shopped in your store back in the day, but you were not there, when I went to my dentist, Dr. Gaylord, across the street from you. I wish the best for your biz
    Last edited by littlelady; 04-18-2017 at 06:07 AM.
    ​​Like I said. JMO, yo! - Roman
    If you ignore the trolls, they starve. - Wishbone

Quote Originally Posted by stgislander View Post
    For me, Radio Shack blew it when they became just another glorified cell phone store that also sold audio and video equipment.

now a days you can order directly from Mouser or Digi-key .... hard for last minuet stuff
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

“There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

And if a statue can oppress you, then I submit that you have greater issues. - A West.

Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post

now a days you can order directly from Mouser or Digi-key .... hard for last minuet stuff
    If I need it quick I go with Newark. They have a distribution center somewhere around Greenville SC. Even with UPS Ground shipping, I normally have it in two days.
    "Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever." - Shane Falco

If I may ...

It's because people just don't have the same discretionary money anymore to spend. Online sales are just a small reason. The "fundamental reason" is because people are not making as much as they used to. All their expenses have gone up. Wages have not kept up with inflation. Banks have restricted lending, no new money supply entering into the economy. And in the process this contracts existing money supply in the economy. Business Insider is towing the line and not telling what is really happening.
    If the military wanted you to have a spouse, or family, they would have issued you one.

When the choice is spending all day driving all over the county, going from store to store, and only finding crap, or spending 5 minutes online, its not a very difficult choice.

When my computer motherboard failed, I did exactly that. Drove all over looking for a decent mid performance pc and could only find a bunch of $500 paper weights. The best buy in waldorf had a nice one on the shelf, but it turned out to be a display model only. The guy there told me they could order it for me and then walked away when I said I could do that myself while sitting at home.

Its the same with cloths. I either find stuff in my size that I can't stand or stuff I like that is not in my size. Three or four department stores around here that primarily sell cloths and it is all crap. JC Penney's likes to carry a hundred shirts in florescent orange and florescent green. I have yet to ever see anyone at work wearing one, so I have no idea who they are selling them to.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRoasted View Post
    If I may ...

Wages have not kept up with inflation.
    and the solution is $ 25 Min Wage ?

Banks have restricted lending, no new money supply entering into the economy. And in the process this contracts existing money supply in the economy.
    Why is the Question ..... maybe nothing to back the debt but a promise - the free ride of 'mortgage back securities' is over the well of easy credit has dried up - after being artificial for years

From what I recall about Financial History this has been the cause of a few recessions [banks drying up the money]
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

“There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

And if a statue can oppress you, then I submit that you have greater issues. - A West.

Quote Originally Posted by Warron View Post
    When the choice is spending all day driving all over the county, going from store to store, and only finding crap, or spending 5 minutes online, its not a very difficult choice.

Amazon is the shiznet ... otherwise Wal-Mart
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

Quote Originally Posted by frequentflier View Post
    Try being a small fry Mom and Pop retail store...we will all be a thing of the past if the internet shopping trend continues.
    So, why isn't WalMart doomed? Home Depot/Lowes, too, for that matter? I mean, you got to WalMart to get stuff, not to browse the selection. Same with the hardware stores.

I'm thinking of some sort of home delivery model. Shop online, go pick it up or they run it out to you. Turn the stores into inventory and packing facilities and recoup ALL that shopper space. No more need for the massive parking lots.
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post
    I'm thinking of some sort of home delivery model.
    Revert to the 50s with all the bread and milk trucks delivering.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    Revert to the 50s with all the bread and milk trucks delivering.
    As well as other goods and services...

Name:  2754903702_bcc2fc2984.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  33.5 KB

Members who have read this thread: 81