Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 47

Thread: Retailers are going bankrupt at a staggering rate

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    Revert to the 50s with all the bread and milk trucks delivering.
    Yup. We considered it for awhile, home flower delivery (for garden stuff). It has to be more efficient than retail presence.
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    Revert to the 50s with all the bread and milk trucks delivering.
    I miss the Entemmann's truck pulling in the driveway.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

  3. #23
    If I may ...

    Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    and the solution is $ 25 Min Wage ? Why is the Question ..... maybe nothing to back the debt but a promise - the free ride of 'mortgage back securities' is over the well of easy credit has dried up - after being artificial for years From what I recall about Financial History this has been the cause of a few recessions [banks drying up the money]
    The solution to minimum wages? A sound monetary system backed by some thing of intrinsic value. Some thing that takes labor and time to acquire, such a gold and silver. A system that is governed by the people, Congress, not a create-out-of-thin-air fiat currency controlled by a group of private bankers.

    "Why is the Question"? Because they are picking and choosing the winners and losers, by the banks and the financial sector controlled by banks. And manipulating certain industries to take advantage of them by causing them to go bankrupt then acquiring them at fire sale prices, by buying those near worthless stocks, then to only reinvest, (by starting to lend again), and selling those same stocks at a higher valuation. Recessions and depressions are, and have been always, caused by the banks.
    If the military wanted you to have a spouse, or family, they would have issued you one.

  4. #24
    INGSOC GURPS's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Peoples Republic Of Maryland
    Posts
    30,187
    Quote Originally Posted by LightRoasted View Post
    If I may ...



    The solution to minimum wages? A sound monetary system backed by some thing of intrinsic value. Some thing that takes labor and time to acquire, such a gold and silver. A system that is governed by the people, Congress, not a create-out-of-thin-air fiat currency controlled by a group of private bankers.




    Indeed
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

    “There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

  5. #25
    Registered User
    Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Location
    not near PAX
    Posts
    2,491
    Quote Originally Posted by frequentflier View Post
    Try being a small fry Mom and Pop retail store...we will all be a thing of the past if the internet shopping trend continues.
    I prefer shopping at a mom and pop place where customer service is a priority. However, when I go there to get something and they decided to not restock or missed it on the order, I'll walk. No need to tell me "we can order that". UPS delivers very regularly.
    “WH press corps, it's tough to keep track of the precise number of asses on the premises” D. Gross

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by LightRoasted View Post
    If I may ...



    The solution to minimum wages? A sound monetary system backed by some thing of intrinsic value. Some thing that takes labor and time to acquire, such a gold and silver. A system that is governed by the people, Congress, not a create-out-of-thin-air fiat currency controlled by a group of private bankers.

    "Why is the Question"? Because they are picking and choosing the winners and losers, by the banks and the financial sector controlled by banks. And manipulating certain industries to take advantage of them by causing them to go bankrupt then acquiring them at fire sale prices, by buying those near worthless stocks, then to only reinvest, (by starting to lend again), and selling those same stocks at a higher valuation. Recessions and depressions are, and have been always, caused by the banks.

    It all ended with our civil war and the masters of the universe found the breadth and width of REAL power over the people. Nice sentiments, though.
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

  7. #27
    If I may ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post
    It all ended with our civil war and the masters of the universe found the breadth and width of REAL power over the people. Nice sentiments, though.
    Huh? You mean trading slavery in physical chains to slavery in financial bondage? Financial chicanery has always been a way to control the masses and steal from them. Andrew Jackson knew this and shut down the Second Bank of the U.S.. But a debt based money system popped up again and it was codified in 1913 under the Federal Reserve Act.
    If the military wanted you to have a spouse, or family, they would have issued you one.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by LightRoasted View Post
    If I may ...



    Huh? You mean trading slavery in physical chains to slavery in financial bondage? Financial chicanery has always been a way to control the masses and steal from them. Andrew Jackson knew this and shut down the Second Bank of the U.S.. But a debt based money system popped up again and it was codified in 1913 under the Federal Reserve Act.


    I kinda hold onto the period right before the war as the end of the individual part of our history. Maybe it ended sooner? I won't argue against that.
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

  9. #29
    Registered User PeoplesElbow's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Smackdown hotel
    Posts
    4,559
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post
    So, why isn't WalMart doomed? Home Depot/Lowes, too, for that matter? I mean, you got to WalMart to get stuff, not to browse the selection. Same with the hardware stores.

    I'm thinking of some sort of home delivery model. Shop online, go pick it up or they run it out to you. Turn the stores into inventory and packing facilities and recoup ALL that shopper space. No more need for the massive parking lots.
    I saw just that this past weekend with a Kroger grocery store, you place your order, go to the parking lot, park in special spots and they bring your groceries out to you and load them in the car.
    If what I say offends you then you really don't want to hear what I keep to myself.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by nutz View Post
    I prefer shopping at a mom and pop place where customer service is a priority. However, when I go there to get something and they decided to not restock or missed it on the order, I'll walk. No need to tell me "we can order that". UPS delivers very regularly.
    I am not sure if you were a customer and that happened at my store (if so I do apologize).
    HOWEVER...
    We are human and we do make mistakes.
    AND...
    It is also difficult to know exactly how much of any items needs to be stocked at any time, cannot control if someone comes in and buys it and we run out. We offer to special order and/ or put products on the special order shelf if a customer is afraid we won't have it when they need it. Also we are at the mercy of the distributors having it in stock when we go to order it.
    I don't mean to sound like I am making excuses but it is a constant challenge to always have everything everyone wants or needs. And few people know that I pay for everything that comes in the door when it comes in the door. I do not believe in buying it if I don't have the money for it.
    "It's nice to be important but it's also important to be nice."

Members who have read this thread: 82

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |