Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 47

Thread: Retailers are going bankrupt at a staggering rate

  1. #31
    ff...I try to buy local when I can. I still am sad I missed you when I stopped in a few years ago. I so rarely had reason to go to the Lusby/Solomons area. My main territory was PF, and now we have moved. I wish you the best of luck!
    Last edited by littlelady; 04-25-2017 at 09:30 PM.
    Like I said, JMO, yo! - Roman

  2. #32
    Registered User
    Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Location
    not near PAX
    Posts
    2,525
    Quote Originally Posted by frequentflier View Post
    I am not sure if you were a customer and that happened at my store (if so I do apologize).
    HOWEVER...
    We are human and we do make mistakes.
    AND...
    It is also difficult to know exactly how much of any items needs to be stocked at any time, cannot control if someone comes in and buys it and we run out. We offer to special order and/ or put products on the special order shelf if a customer is afraid we won't have it when they need it. Also we are at the mercy of the distributors having it in stock when we go to order it.
    I don't mean to sound like I am making excuses but it is a constant challenge to always have everything everyone wants or needs. And few people know that I pay for everything that comes in the door when it comes in the door. I do not believe in buying it if I don't have the money for it.
    No, not your store in particular, but it is a rule I try to follow. I was also talking about normal stock items. If you normally stock Bayer aspirin or 2x4x8's or plumbing supplies and run out, there is a problem. If I call your store looking for x and someone tells me you have it, don't be surprised when I'm pissed off that you don't.

    I worked retail for awhile, glad I got out of that. Dealing with my customers now is hard enough, dealing with new ones off the street everyday is worse.
    “WH press corps, it's tough to keep track of the precise number of asses on the premises” D. Gross

  3. #33
    If I may ...

    Quote Originally Posted by frequentflier View Post
    And few people know that I pay for everything that comes in the door when it comes in the door. I do not believe in buying it if I don't have the money for it.
    Then maybe you should consider an inventory line of credit? And/or work with your suppliers to get net 30, 45 or 60 payment terms? Constantly having to, or needing cash to pay COD for your inventory can really stifle inventory flow and piss off customers. You are only restricting your growth by operating like this. And, a good inventory management, and automated ordering software system, can help you as well. It will reduce a lot of stress trying to manage inventory by walking around the store trying to figure out what you need and have to order.
    If the military wanted you to have a spouse, or family, they would have issued you one.

  4. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by LightRoasted View Post
    If I may ...



    Then maybe you should consider an inventory line of credit? And/or work with your suppliers to get net 30, 45 or 60 payment terms? Constantly having to, or needing cash to pay COD for your inventory can really stifle inventory flow and piss off customers. You are only restricting your growth by operating like this. And, a good inventory management, and automated ordering software system, can help you as well. It will reduce a lot of stress trying to manage inventory by walking around the store trying to figure out what you need and have to order.
    My store and I do have excellent credit and net terms- I opt to not use them for the most part therefore I have zero debt! The credit card does get paid off every month. Others may disagree with me but "I" think it is smart! This is not my first business (but it will probably be my last) I have 8 people on payroll and it can be tight but I balance it.
    Have you ever been in my store? I have probably $100,000 or more worth of product. I am not restricting growth at all.

    Given the fluctuation of sales, we do sometimes run out and/or have problems getting product from distributors (currently some duck and salmon based foods)

    I am grateful that the other poster was not referring to me or my business because sometimes people do get frustrated. Not often but it does happen and we always try to make the customer happy.
    "It's nice to be important but it's also important to be nice."

  5. #35
    I Need a Life luvmygdaughters's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2009
    Location
    In a house
    Posts
    4,660
    Speaking for myself, I hate dealing with people. I know that sounds terrible, but, its truthful. There is no way in hell I want to spend my Saturday or Sunday at some store, listening to kids crying & screaming in aisles and check out lines, because mommy or daddy wouldn't buy them a toy. There is no way I want to spend my afternoon standing in line at the dressing rooms or cashiers. I do most of my clothes, electronics, gifts and Christmas shopping, online. Its easy, its delivered to my door and I don't have to hunt for a damn parking space. Now the only exception to this rule is...the dreaded grocery shopping. I am too particular about what I want, to trust someone else to pick out my meats, fruits, veggies, etc.

  6. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmygdaughters View Post
    Speaking for myself, I hate dealing with people. I know that sounds terrible, but, its truthful. There is no way in hell I want to spend my Saturday or Sunday at some store, listening to kids crying & screaming in aisles and check out lines, because mommy or daddy wouldn't buy them a toy. There is no way I want to spend my afternoon standing in line at the dressing rooms or cashiers. I do most of my clothes, electronics, gifts and Christmas shopping, online. Its easy, its delivered to my door and I don't have to hunt for a damn parking space. Now the only exception to this rule is...the dreaded grocery shopping. I am too particular about what I want, to trust someone else to pick out my meats, fruits, veggies, etc.
    Yikes, lmd. Are you becoming reclusive because of social media? That is not good. Get out there! People are great!

    Sorry, but you sound like an example of how social media is caustic in our world, and changing how humanity interacts. Your post made me sad.
    Last edited by littlelady; 04-26-2017 at 10:41 PM.
    Like I said, JMO, yo! - Roman

  7. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmygdaughters View Post
    Speaking for myself, I hate dealing with people. I know that sounds terrible, but, its truthful. There is no way in hell I want to spend my Saturday or Sunday at some store, listening to kids crying & screaming in aisles and check out lines, because mommy or daddy wouldn't buy them a toy. There is no way I want to spend my afternoon standing in line at the dressing rooms or cashiers. I do most of my clothes, electronics, gifts and Christmas shopping, online. Its easy, its delivered to my door and I don't have to hunt for a damn parking space. Now the only exception to this rule is...the dreaded grocery shopping. I am too particular about what I want, to trust someone else to pick out my meats, fruits, veggies, etc.
    As one who works retail, I can appreciate your feelings LOL. Dealing with the public can be challenging.
    And I get the convenience aspect of online shopping.
    Even though I don't know you IRL, I do hope you get out of your comfort zone and socialize with others and have a good time.
    "It's nice to be important but it's also important to be nice."

  8. #38
    I Need a Life luvmygdaughters's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2009
    Location
    In a house
    Posts
    4,660
    Quote Originally Posted by frequentflier View Post
    As one who works retail, I can appreciate your feelings LOL. Dealing with the public can be challenging.
    And I get the convenience aspect of online shopping.
    Even though I don't know you IRL, I do hope you get out of your comfort zone and socialize with others and have a good time.
    LOL, I guess I made myself sound horrible!! I'm really not that bad, but, it's a matter of convenience for me. I do go shopping, in fact, just before our vacation, I had to pick up a few things, I went to Kohl's and JC Pennys, wasn't too bad, but, long lines at the register and kids who have not been taught manners, reminded me of why I prefer online shopping.

  9. #39
    INGSOC GURPS's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Peoples Republic Of Maryland
    Posts
    30,799
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmygdaughters View Post
    ..... but, long lines at the register and kids who have not been taught manners, reminded me of why I prefer online shopping.


    People suck
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

    “There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

  10. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    People suck
    I have not ever understood that reply, or the one 'I hate people' that I have seen. We are all people. Doesn't make sense, but, oh well. I like people, and I don't suck.
    Like I said, JMO, yo! - Roman

Members who have read this thread: 81

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |