Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Retailers are going bankrupt at a staggering rate

Retailers are going bankrupt at a staggering rate

'The dominoes are starting to fall': Retailers are going bankrupt at a staggering rate

Payless ShoeSource, hhgregg, The Limited, RadioShack, BCBG, Wet Seal, Gormans, Eastern Outfitters, and Gander Mountain are among the retailers that have filed for bankruptcy so far this year, and most are closing hundreds of stores as a result. On top of those closures, retailers that are staying in business — at least for now — are shutting down a record number of stores.

[clip]

In other words, shoppers' habits are fundamentally changing, and some retailers just aren't cut out to survive in the new retail environment.

Traditional retailers with large fleets of physical stores have been hit the hardest.

Visits to shopping malls have been declining for years with the rise of e-commerce and titanic shifts in how shoppers spend their money. Visits declined by 50% between 2010 and 2013, according to the real-estate research firm Cushman & Wakefield.

And people are now devoting bigger shares of their wallets to restaurants, travel, and technology than ever before, while spending less on apparel and accessories.

Queue ToJAM to come in and bash Trump and People who voted for him
    Weíre tempted to suggest a conspiracy here ó but itís just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply canít conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

People are buying online. Why leave your house and have to deal with stupid people?

You don't adapt to the sales environment you go under, has nothing to do with who's running the country. Of the companies listed, Radioshack made some huge blunders that screwed what was a fairly decent company.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    You don't adapt to the sales environment you go under, has nothing to do with who's running the country. Of the companies listed, Radioshack made some huge blunders that screwed what was a fairly decent company.

I think Stores like Radio Shack and Circuit City were numbered when we got Wal-mart and Best Buy .... then Add the internet and Amazon *poof* Gone
    Weíre tempted to suggest a conspiracy here ó but itís just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply canít conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

For me, Radio Shack blew it when they became just another glorified cell phone store that also sold audio and video equipment. I can still remember back in the 80's and 90's waiting for the RS in St. Mary's Square to open at 10:00am. There would always be a handful of engineers purchasing a last minute or emergency part to get some piece of equipment running. That's where I first learned of MIL-RS parts.
    "Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever." - Shane Falco

Quote Originally Posted by stgislander View Post
    For me, Radio Shack blew it when they became just another glorified cell phone store that also sold audio and video equipment. I can still remember back in the 80's and 90's waiting for the RS in St. Mary's Square to open at 10:00am. There would always be a handful of engineers purchasing a last minute or emergency part to get some piece of equipment running. That's where I first learned of MIL-RS parts.
    For me, it was Lafayette Electronics in the 70s. They had really good audio equipment and lots of high-tech parts for hobbyists and designers. I was really bummed when they went belly up. Radio Shack almost filled the void until, like you said, they changed direction.

I still have a 4-channel amp from Lafayette that I use for a portable movie system.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Try being a small fry Mom and Pop retail store...we will all be a thing of the past if the internet shopping trend continues.
    "It's nice to be important but it's also important to be nice."

Quote Originally Posted by GWguy View Post
    For me, it was Lafayette Electronics in the 70s. They had really good audio equipment and lots of high-tech parts for hobbyists and designers. I was really bummed when they went belly up. Radio Shack almost filled the void until, like you said, they changed direction.

I still have a 4-channel amp from Lafayette that I use for a portable movie system.
    Do you remember Rural Electronics on Great Mills Road?
    When you lie down with dogs, you're going to get fleas....

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    How is it that you don't see how crazy you sound when you do this?

Quote Originally Posted by Bird Dog View Post
    Do you remember Rural Electronics on Great Mills Road?
    That was before my time here in MD.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Quote Originally Posted by GWguy View Post
    That was before my time here in MD.
    Great store...also a Lafayette franchise....
    When you lie down with dogs, you're going to get fleas....

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    How is it that you don't see how crazy you sound when you do this?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.