Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Patriots day...

Patriots day...

...do you consider yourself a patriot or a nationalist? Why?

ADHD; Interdisciplinary

America for Americans
    We’re tempted to suggest a conspiracy here — but it’s just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply can’t conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    America for Americans
    What is America and what is an American?
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post
    ...do you consider yourself a patriot or a nationalist? Why?

I'm assuming you're going by the general idea that while a patriot loves and defends his country, a nationalist fervently believes his nation is the best that has ever existed?

In that case, I'm a bit of both.
    “Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.".Daniel Webster

Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    I'm assuming you're going by the general idea that while a patriot loves and defends his country, a nationalist fervently believes his nation is the best that has ever existed?

In that case, I'm a bit of both.
    Don't assume. Apply your own standard, just please explain it. I'm not interested in declaring what the text book definition of each is per se; only interested in what people think they are and why.

For example and jus to put it out there so no one is thinking this is a 'gotcha', to me, a patriot is a 'my country right or wrong' flag waver. They have ZERO interest in ideas or principles and simply have strong support for it, whatever they may be. And a nationalist is one who is supportive of the ideas of a given nation, what it stands for.

I think of it as symbolism over substance.

What provoked the thought was a typical banal piece by EJ Dione this am; https://www.inusanews.com/article/74...y-nationalists
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

What is America and what is an American?
    If you have to ask...

Quote Originally Posted by Wishbone View Post
    If you have to ask...
    ...it makes me intelligent.
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

It's your sandbox larry.

Quote Originally Posted by Wishbone View Post
    It's your sandbox larry.
    You can't possibly be this stupid. I ask an open and reasonable question and you CAN take the time to totally miss the point and avoid the question because you're more interested in giving me a hard time? Or, am I really just that that interesting?
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

Don't assume. Apply your own standard, just please explain it.
    I don't think I have EVER used the term nationalist to describe myself, even if I totally deserve the textbook description.
    Ditto "jingoist". Just not words I would use, so the question makes no sense unless I'm operating under an established definition.

I consider myself patriotic. I think this nation is the finest one in human history.

I don't dismiss all of its flaws as irrelevant - just as I don't with my own family (my wife and kids) or the one I grew up with (my siblings and parents).
    I knew my father's flaws, but he will always be my personal hero and the one person I want most to be like. Ditto my mom.
    I probably know her flaws even more, because they were visible. I love my siblings but it wasn't all roses.

I have no delusions about the abilities and limitations of my own family but I do believe taken all in all, they are the sweetest and loveliest children I know.

So you might get an idea about how I feel about this country - I know its past. I also know what it has done, the things it might have done but chose not to.
    I've quoted before a person whose politics I detest - Bill Maher - but he once observed that when ANY nation holds power over the world, they kick the #### out of it (my words).
    He said no superpower in history has tried so hard to trod so lightly on the rest of the world (his words). That's noble.
    I love the natural beauty of this country. When you get out and travel, you're bound to meet a lot of #######s - but you'll be amazed by the people.
    “Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.".Daniel Webster

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.