Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36

Thread: College Students Claim Objective 'Truth' Is A Racist 'Myth'

  1. #11
    INGSOC GURPS's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Peoples Republic Of Maryland
    Posts
    29,000
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post
    I could blow this argument up in a sentence .....

    So Lay Down Your Best Card ....
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    So Lay Down Your Best Card ....
    I'll lay down by best card last. The point stands; if this is crap, shouldn't it be easy to refute?
    Nepotism begins at home

  3. #13
    Registered User
    Member Since
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    19,428
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post
    I'll lay down by best card last. The point stands; if this is crap, shouldn't it be easy to refute?
    This could go into ten pages. Larry loves to argue.

  4. #14
    Visualize whirled peas Merlin99's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2006
    Location
    California, MD
    Posts
    12,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post
    If y'all are so sure this is all just a load of crap, shouldn't it be pretty easy to dispense with? I could blow this argument up in a sentence but that's because I like debate and I like challenging myself, what I think, why I think it and, for the most part, around here, it's preferred that everything be in it's nice, neat little bins with seldom a discouraging, or challenging, word.

    So, if you think it's crap, care to take a whack at it?
    Truth is binary, it either is or isn't, shades of grey are attempts at justification of lies.
    ‎"I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake"

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin99 View Post
    Truth is binary, it either is or isn't, shades of grey are attempts at justification of lies.
    Agreed. However, they're not saying 1 + 1 does NOT = 2. I quoted the passage in question and there is stuff in there worth debating.
    Nepotism begins at home

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post
    If y'all are so sure this is all just a load of crap, shouldn't it be pretty easy to dispense with? I could blow this argument up in a sentence but that's because I like debate and I like challenging myself, what I think, why I think it and, for the most part, around here, it's preferred that everything be in it's nice, neat little bins with seldom a discouraging, or challenging, word.

    So, if you think it's crap, care to take a whack at it?
    There are a couple of ways to answer this. The first would be to ask if there is not “one” truth, then wouldn’t it stand to reason that the truth that the writer discusses is not also a “truth”? Another would be to suggest that white supremacy is not true, but that there is an objective truth – whether we like it or not – that there are differences among the races and sexes and ethnicities, and that some are objectively “better” than others compared to a given standard, but that “better” is a subjective term – subject to the standard against which a variable is measured. As such, every race/sex/ethnicity is “better” than the other at something. “Oppression”, for example, is also a construct.
    It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
    Jiddu Krisnamurti

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by This_person View Post
    There are a couple of ways to answer this. The first would be to ask if there is not “one” truth, then wouldn’t it stand to reason that the truth that the writer discusses is not also a “truth”? .
    And this is why we have conversation and argument and debate. Well done.

    The point here is that people like jinx may well recoil when they hear something like this as pure poppycock and nonsense which some or even much of it is. However, there's a baby in that bath water including the understanding to be able to refute a poor point poorly made with logic and reason and THEN we have the middle ground, much larger than many of us care to acknowledge, where peace and harmony CAN exist outside the power and influence of evils that do NOT want us all getting along very well.

    The airing of grievances is a two way street. At least two ways.
    Nepotism begins at home

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post
    And this is why we have conversation and argument and debate. Well done.

    The point here is that people like jinx may well recoil when they hear something like this as pure poppycock and nonsense which some or even much of it is. However, there's a baby in that bath water including the understanding to be able to refute a poor point poorly made with logic and reason and THEN we have the middle ground, much larger than many of us care to acknowledge, where peace and harmony CAN exist outside the power and influence of evils that do NOT want us all getting along very well.

    The airing of grievances is a two way street. At least two ways.
    In my humble opinion, the first way of looking at a disagreement is from the point of view of the person with whom I disagree. I disagree with the quote you provided from the college student (who's likely not what they appear), but it is their stated opinion. Using one's argument against them, my first take, is generally the best way to leave someone sputtering. The great thing about leaving someone sputtering is not the tingle up your leg it provides, but the fact that THEY now have to consider THEIR OWN opinion, and why they have it.
    It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
    Jiddu Krisnamurti

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by This_person View Post
    In my humble opinion, the first way of looking at a disagreement is from the point of view of the person with whom I disagree. I disagree with the quote you provided from the college student (who's likely not what they appear), but it is their stated opinion. Using one's argument against them, my first take, is generally the best way to leave someone sputtering. The great thing about leaving someone sputtering is not the tingle up your leg it provides, but the fact that THEY now have to consider THEIR OWN opinion, and why they have it.
    THAT"S NOT THE GOAL. Just because THEY'RE trying to leave you sputtering or shocked doesn't mean that's the way to refute, let alone win a debate AND close the gap between us.
    Nepotism begins at home

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post
    THAT"S NOT THE GOAL. Just because THEY'RE trying to leave you sputtering or shocked doesn't mean that's the way to refute, let alone win a debate AND close the gap between us.
    You say that like people willing to look that deeply into the subject are the ones that drive policy and outcome.

    They aren't anymore.

    Closing the gap and reaching agreement is passe.

Members who have read this thread: 44

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |