College Students Claim Objective 'Truth' Is A Racist 'Myth'

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
College Students Claim Objective 'Truth' Is A Racist 'Myth'

It's finally happened: the Social Justice Left has openly called objective "truth" a racist "myth" steeped in "white supremacy."

What else could it be?

[clip]

As the letter continues, the students explain that free speech has been "appropriated by hegemonic institutions" and should ultimately be curtailed because "it has given those who seek to perpetuate systems of domination a platform to project their bigotry."

It remains unclear as to who would be deciding which speech is kosher and which is not, but, presumably, their non-binary snowflake feelings would dictate such.

[clip]

Then comes the galling truth-is-a-racist-myth rant (emphasis added):

Historically, white supremacy has venerated the idea of objectivity, and wielded a dichotomy of ‘subjectivity vs. objectivity’ as a means of silencing oppressed peoples. The idea that there is a single truth–’the Truth’–is a construct of the Euro-West that is deeply rooted in the Enlightenment, which was a movement that also described Black and Brown people as both subhuman and impervious to pain. This construction is a myth and white supremacy, imperialism, colonization, capitalism, and the United States of America are all of its progeny. The idea that the truth is an entity for which we must search, in matters that endanger our abilities to exist in open spaces, is an attempt to silence oppressed peoples.

Additionally, Mac Donald, the pro-police journalist and Black Lives Matter critic at the center of the free speech conflict, was labeled "a fascist, a white supremacist, a warhawk, a transphobe, a queerphobe, a classist, and ignorant of interlocking systems of domination that produce the lethal conditions under which oppressed peoples are forced to live" — without evidence, of course.

Transphobe
Queeerphobe

I guess Queers and Trans are seperate now :shrug:

classist - had to look this up - you discriminate by class - Class Warfare something progressives have been doing for decades

glhs837

Power with Control
Well, yeah, there are trans that are not queer, and certainly queers that are not trans. Even if you use the old queer=gay way of looking at it. I think it just means "not making a discrete choice" sort of thing now, but I could be wrong. In any case, this blather right here is why I laughed my way through Philosophy.....

The idea that there is a single truth–’the Truth’–is a construct of the Euro-West that is deeply rooted in the Enlightenment, which was a movement that also described Black and Brown people as both subhuman and impervious to pain. This construction is a myth and white supremacy, imperialism, colonization, capitalism, and the United States of America are all of its progeny. The idea that the truth is an entity for which we must search, in matters that endanger our abilities to exist in open spaces, is an attempt to silence oppressed peoples.

Hijinx

Getting awful tired of this racist BS coming from the left.

White supremecy White privilege. white men shouldn't be allowed to vote.Now there is truth and white truth.

#### these people, why are they getting any traction. Pack of bigoted a-wipes.

SamSpade

I can't guess where this crap comes from. I don't know where in the world anyone can promote the idea that all truth is subjective, or there's no such thing as objective truth.

What I DO think is that everyone tends to think their own completely biased opinion is the unvarnished truth and everyone else's is subjective.

When you get a big enough echo chamber, you tend to believe it more.
This is why communities and rallies and massive groups of people at an event can be powerful - for good or ill.
Because when everyone around you believes the same thing, you can easily think it's TRUTH and everyone who thinks otherwise is the enemy of truth.

I tend to have a more scientific approach - that truth is often arrived at incrementally - if at all.
Sometimes, it's either unknowable or as yet unknown.

But it doesn't mean it's not there, or else we have no business trying to find out what it is.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I can't guess where this crap comes from. I don't know where in the world anyone can promote the idea that all truth is subjective, or there's no such thing as objective truth.

sure truth is what YOU want it to .... :cds:
polar bears are dying
- global warning
- Al Gore comes out with another movie
- but the Northern Latitudes have had RECORD ICE

SamSpade

sure truth is what YOU want it to ....
polar bears are dying

Yeah, I've always loved that famous pic of a polar bear on an ice floe.

Which was taken with him a short distance from shore. And polar bears swim. A LOT.
They swim and hunt underwater for up to a couple minutes.
They frequently are observed swimming as far as 30 miles, and that's not even the record.

Yeah - that poor bear was TRAPPED by mean old global warming.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Historically, white supremacy has venerated the idea of objectivity, and wielded a dichotomy of ‘subjectivity vs. objectivity’ as a means of silencing oppressed peoples. The idea that there is a single truth–’the Truth’–is a construct of the Euro-West that is deeply rooted in the Enlightenment, which was a movement that also described Black and Brown people as both subhuman and impervious to pain. This construction is a myth and white supremacy, imperialism, colonization, capitalism, and the United States of America are all of its progeny. The idea that the truth is an entity for which we must search, in matters that endanger our abilities to exist in open spaces, is an attempt to silence oppressed peoples.

If y'all are so sure this is all just a load of crap, shouldn't it be pretty easy to dispense with? I could blow this argument up in a sentence but that's because I like debate and I like challenging myself, what I think, why I think it and, for the most part, around here, it's preferred that everything be in it's nice, neat little bins with seldom a discouraging, or challenging, word.

So, if you think it's crap, care to take a whack at it? :popcorn:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
If y'all are so sure this is all just a load of crap, shouldn't it be pretty easy to dispense with? I could blow this argument up in a sentence but that's because I like debate and I like challenging myself, what I think, why I think it and, for the most part, around here, it's preferred that everything be in it's nice, neat little bins with seldom a discouraging, or challenging, word.

Truth is binary, it either is or isn't, shades of grey are attempts at justification of lies.

This_person

There are a couple of ways to answer this. The first would be to ask if there is not “one” truth, then wouldn’t it stand to reason that the truth that the writer discusses is not also a “truth”? Another would be to suggest that white supremacy is not true, but that there is an objective truth – whether we like it or not – that there are differences among the races and sexes and ethnicities, and that some are objectively “better” than others compared to a given standard, but that “better” is a subjective term – subject to the standard against which a variable is measured. As such, every race/sex/ethnicity is “better” than the other at something. “Oppression”, for example, is also a construct.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
There are a couple of ways to answer this. The first would be to ask if there is not “one” truth, then wouldn’t it stand to reason that the truth that the writer discusses is not also a “truth”? .

And this is why we have conversation and argument and debate. Well done.

The point here is that people like jinx may well recoil when they hear something like this as pure poppycock and nonsense which some or even much of it is. However, there's a baby in that bath water including the understanding to be able to refute a poor point poorly made with logic and reason and THEN we have the middle ground, much larger than many of us care to acknowledge, where peace and harmony CAN exist outside the power and influence of evils that do NOT want us all getting along very well.

The airing of grievances is a two way street. At least two ways.

This_person

And this is why we have conversation and argument and debate. Well done.

The point here is that people like jinx may well recoil when they hear something like this as pure poppycock and nonsense which some or even much of it is. However, there's a baby in that bath water including the understanding to be able to refute a poor point poorly made with logic and reason and THEN we have the middle ground, much larger than many of us care to acknowledge, where peace and harmony CAN exist outside the power and influence of evils that do NOT want us all getting along very well.

The airing of grievances is a two way street. At least two ways.

In my humble opinion, the first way of looking at a disagreement is from the point of view of the person with whom I disagree. I disagree with the quote you provided from the college student (who's likely not what they appear), but it is their stated opinion. Using one's argument against them, my first take, is generally the best way to leave someone sputtering. The great thing about leaving someone sputtering is not the tingle up your leg it provides, but the fact that THEY now have to consider THEIR OWN opinion, and why they have it.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
In my humble opinion, the first way of looking at a disagreement is from the point of view of the person with whom I disagree. I disagree with the quote you provided from the college student (who's likely not what they appear), but it is their stated opinion. Using one's argument against them, my first take, is generally the best way to leave someone sputtering. The great thing about leaving someone sputtering is not the tingle up your leg it provides, but the fact that THEY now have to consider THEIR OWN opinion, and why they have it.

THAT"S NOT THE GOAL. Just because THEY'RE trying to leave you sputtering or shocked doesn't mean that's the way to refute, let alone win a debate AND close the gap between us.

Wishbone

THAT"S NOT THE GOAL. Just because THEY'RE trying to leave you sputtering or shocked doesn't mean that's the way to refute, let alone win a debate AND close the gap between us.

You say that like people willing to look that deeply into the subject are the ones that drive policy and outcome.

They aren't anymore.

Closing the gap and reaching agreement is passe.