On March 18 Maltese Terriers Boris and Cassidy and Gus, a Shih Tzu x Pug owned by Mrs Helen Finch, were encouraged to eat the fruit by her Congo African Grey parrot, Peaches. Mrs Finch said Peaches had called the dogs and thrown fruit to them while the family was out for the afternoon. Grapes contain a substance which can cause acute renal failure in dogs and could kill them.
“Peaches flies freely around the house but returns to her cage when I’m not home. She’s a fantastic mimic. She called each dog over by name to be fed and dropped the grapes in front of them from her cage. Boris, Cassidy and Gus then tucked in to their illicit meal.